Alpha Video Training

Thread: Alpha Five 2011 Plans & Announcing - a comprehensive Alpha Five Subscription Plan

Alpha Software Employee Richard Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Rabins

Default Alpha Five 2011 Plans & Announcing - a comprehensive Alpha Five Subscription Plan

Alpha Five 2011 Plans & Announcing - a comprehensive Alpha Five Subscription Plan

http://bit.ly/hA26Mm
    Richard Rabins
    Co Chairman
    Alpha Software

Real Name
    Mark Pearson

Default Re: Alpha Five 2011 Plans & Announcing - a comprehensive Alpha Five Subscription Plan

Richard - not wanting to crunch such a good initiative, but just the other day Alpha offered Full devlopers pack with features included for $696. I know there was an expiry to that offer, but you have admit that offer seems to come around a lot

The offer on your website is $1490 if you already have the developers pack. While I can see the addition of V11 and other possible features, this does seem a little out of kilter. It would seem you are charging for V11 before it is released - If I go by the release of V10 it took quite some time after the anticipated date.

What about a simple maintenance agreement from purchase. Eg: the norm is an annual 15% to 20% from purchase with the first 12month free
    -----------------------------------------------
    Regards
    Mark Pearson
    mark.pearson@onestopsolutions.com.au
    Youtube channel
    Website

Real Name
    Richard Rabins

Default Re: Alpha Five 2011 Plans & Announcing - a comprehensive Alpha Five Subscription Plan

Thanks for your message.

There are a lot of reasons behind this offer.

a) A lot of customers want to budget for software and want to predict what their costs will be. We have been hearing requests for a long time for a subscription plan from these customers and so we have responded.

b) You get a full suite of Alpha Five v10.5 software, add-ons and feature packs now under this plan

c) Version 11 is shaping up to be a tremendous product with more features packs than v10. If you were to add up the anticipated costs of buying ala-carte vs using the "fixed price" subscription plan that we have just announced, it will end up being a very smart move in terms of savings

Of course we continue to give people the choice of buying each product or add-on or feature pack or webinar as they see fit.

Sincerely
    Richard Rabins
    Co Chairman
    Alpha Software

Real Name
    Stephen Chand

I have to agree with Clunes, I have the developer, server, runtime, some add on’s, video’s and all the service packs, I also had most of these with V9 as well. Seems like there should be a loyal customer intro even if it is only a percentage of purchases above the price of V10 or 10.5 alone.

Real Name
    Richard Rabins

Stephen if you own v10 or v10.5 you do qualify for loyalty customer discount

It is laid out in the section of mailing where you go and sign up for the plan.
    Richard Rabins
    Co Chairman
    Alpha Software

Real Name
    Geoff Meredith

I like the idea of the subscription but I'm in two minds about the price. If the existing owners price was $1000 I would probably have jumped at it but at $1499 I'm a little hesitant. I feel for Alpha as pricing a product is difficult and everyone has their own view on what it is worth to them. I suspect somewhere in the middle is probably a good price. Maybe $1200 which would work out at $100 a month based on a new version every 12 months. Not sure what developers are charging per/hour these days but for many I'm sure that is less than what they charge for an hours work.

Mark and Stephen, out of interest what price would you consider to be fair?

Real Name
    John Willems

While I like the idea of having a developer subscription to software I find the A5 pricing too rich for me.

Comparitively, as a registered partner (no charge to sign up as a registered partner) with Microsoft I can subscribe to their action pack for designers and developers for less than $450 per year. That includes Visual Studio, SQL Server, Expression Web, Office Pro Plus and host of other things including limited free tech support. This is something I have planned to do.

Real Name
    Richard Rabins

Microsoft has had this plan in place for years and we think it is an excellent plan. If you as a developer would prefer to build your web database applications using their development tools and if you don't care about the major time (and implicit cost) savings that Alpha Five delivers (and will deliver even more of in v11,) then you should not sign up for this plan.

The reality that we are experiencing however, is that large numbers of developers are coming over to Alpha because they do see the economic and business benefits as measured in time and cost savings that result from using Alpha Five vs Visual Studio (or PHP or Ruby or Coldfusion or Java etc.)

To get practical - customers who have switched are reporting development time improvements ranging from 2x to 10x.

Lets take an example at 2x.

If a project for a client or an internal project for a client takes 200 hours in Visual Studio and 100 hours in Alpha Five and if you assume an hourly rate of $100 per hour then the 100 hour savings is 10K. If you assume an hourly rate of $50 per hour then the savings is 5K. If you take the productivity improvement factor up to say 4x then the savings move to 20K and 10K respectively.
    Richard Rabins
    Co Chairman
    Alpha Software

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

This is certainly an interesting offer. However, I think Alpha should show the credit those of us will get that already have most of the v10.5 products. Furthermore I dare say, most of us don't need another v10.5.

What will the offer be after this one. There are more offers than carter's got pills and it's gotten to the point for me to where each new offer is more confusing than the previous one. I just delete them, the same as I do the spam.

Alpha is asking us to spend $$$ that is not budgeted and to do it no later than 12/29/10. Additionally, the offer is based on an urgency which is too much like a infomercial, Hurry, call within the next 15 minutes and get.....

See my point, Alpha is taking on a new image, one of hype and promises, an image I don't like. There is a much better way to market this.

kenn

Real Name
    Richard Rabins

Quote Originally Posted by forskare View Post
    This is certainly an interesting offer. However, I think Alpha should show the credit those of us will get that already have most of the v10.5 products. Furthermore I dare say, most of us don't need another v10.5.

What will the offer be after this one. There are more offers than carter's got pills and it's gotten to the point for me to where each new offer is more confusing than the previous one. I just delete them, the same as I do the spam.

Alpha is asking us to spend $$$ that is not budgeted and to do it no later than 12/29/10. Additionally, the offer is based on an urgency which is too much like a infomercial, Hurry, call within the next 15 minutes and get.....

See my point, Alpha is taking on a new image, one of hype and promises, an image I don't like. There is a much better way to market this.

kenn
    Kenn thanks for your comments. The plan does offer credit for people who have v10.5 or v10. Regarding the 12/29 date, this is not an unusual approach. Dell, Apple, Toyota, Adobe and tons of other companies use deadlines as part of normal business practice. With regards to your comment about "hype and promises," I simply think that the comment is very unfair and is not supported by the facts nor the sentiment of our rapidly growing customer base of developers and users ranging from small business to large companies world wide. in addition if we were hyping up a poor product, we would not be getting the outstanding reviews in the press, Finally I want to re-iterate that you can continue buying the way you always have - the plan is optional and is in response to requests from customers.

Sincerely and Best wishes for the Season
    Richard Rabins
    Co Chairman
    Alpha Software

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rabins View Post
    Kenn thanks for your comments. The plan does offer credit for people who have v10.5 or v10. Regarding the 12/29 date, this is not an unusual approach. Dell, Apple, Toyota, Adobe and tons of other companies use deadlines as part of normal business practice. With regards to your comment about "hype and promises," I simply think that the comment is very unfair and is not supported by the facts nor the sentiment of our rapidly growing customer base of developers and users ranging from small business to large companies world wide. in addition if we were hyping up a poor product, we would not be getting the outstanding reviews in the press, Finally I want to re-iterate that you can continue buying the way you always have - the plan is optional and is in response to requests from customers.

Sincerely and Best wishes for the Season
    Hi Richard,

That was not my point. Yes, those companies and many others as well do have those types of deadlines. What I'm referring to is this:

One of the selling points is so that folks can budget and then in the next breath, we have 10 days or so to take advantage of the offer. That's hardly time to budget a $1,500 purchase, at least fore me.

Unfair to say 'hype' and 'promises'? Perhaps so and then again, from my perspective, that's what I see. There's hardly a week that goes by w/o a sale. The ads are long and when I see them so often, it gives me the appearance of hype.

As far as the promises, no release date is mentioned except some time in 2011.

Here's where I'm at: I have A5v10.5, the RT and the App Server as well as the Application Packs that fit my needs. Alpha is now asking me to spend $1,500 for something I might not get until as much as year from now and that's no guarantee.

I have to ask:

1. Will it be worth it to give Alpha $1,500 now?
    2. Will the product be that good? (My guess is it will)
    3. Can I use the $1,500 better somewhere else at this time?
    4. How much will I really save?
    5. What will the pricing be if I wait to purchase v11 when it comes out?
    6. What types of Application packs will there be in 2011 or beyond?

My answers:
    1. I won't know until V11 is released.
    2. While my guess is it will, that's just a guess.
    3. For sure! There's no doubt about that!
    4. I have no clue!
    5. I have no clue!
    6. I have no clue!

While the customer loyalty sales I've seen last 30 days or more, Alpha's will last a total of 10 days or so. Furthermore, it couldn't come at a worse time of the year. Christmas is spendy.

kenn

Real Name
    Richard Rabins

Kenn I understand where you are coming from. That is absolutely fine. The plan will make sense for some people now and not for others. We have smart customers and I am sure most people will evaluate their situation and needs and will make the decision that works for them at any moment in time.

I do want to add that we are committed to ensuring that people who do go for the plan will feel that they receive excellent value for their money
    Best regards
    Last edited by Richard Rabins; 12-23-2010 at 09:03 PM.
    Richard Rabins
    Co Chairman
    Alpha Software

Real Name
    Kenneth

The plan will make sense for some people now and not for others. We have smart customers
    IT IS SAD that customer has to think if he is smart or not when he is thinking to commit Alpha Five Subscription Plan. Advantages should be clear to everybody. Now they are not.

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Quote Originally Posted by kkfin View Post
    IT IS SAD that customer has to think if he is smart or not when he is thinking to commit Alpha Five Subscription Plan. Advantages should be clear to everybody. Now they are not.
    You completely missed the point!

Real Name
    Richard Rabins

Quote Originally Posted by kkfin View Post
    Ken

let me see if can shed some light on this question.

Time Period = Now until some time in 2012 (It depends on when 2011 ships.)

Dollars involved if you buy the products separately = Cost of Alpha Five v11 and any smaller releases (developer, plus runtime, plus app server) + Cost of each Feature Pack (v11 will have more Feature Packs than v10/v10.5) + Cost of each add on + Cost of each webinar +Cost of each book.

Lets call this cost z dollars.

The cost of the Alpha Five Developer Subscription plan = $1499 assuming you have v10/10.5 or $1899 if you dont.

The Subscription plan will be less money than z dollars (including taking into account coupons and specials we may run for buying separately through the course of the year.)

In addition if you work in a corporation where everytime we realease a new product/feature pack/add-on, you need to go and get permission to purchase. Under the Subscription Plan you only have to get the "OK" once during the time period involved.

Even though there has been a fair amount of discussion on this thread about the plan, I can say that the feedback which have received privately, via email and the phone, has been extremely positive and the sign ups so far have exceeded our expectations.

Again i want to mention that this plan is purely another optional way of acquiring your Alpha License (YOU CAN STILL PURCHASE SEPARATELY AND CHOOSE ON A CASE BY CASE BASIS.)

I hope this makes things clearer for you Ken
    Richard Rabins
    Co Chairman
    Alpha Software

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Ken

let me see if can shed some light on this question.

Time Period = Now until some time in 2012 (It depends on when 2011 ships.)

Dollars involved if you buy the products separately = Cost of Alpha Five v11 and any smaller releases (developer, plus runtime, plus app server) + Cost of each Feature Pack (v11 will have more Feature Packs than v10/v10.5) + Cost of each add on + Cost of each webinar +Cost of each book.

Lets call this cost z dollars.

The cost of the Alpha Five Developer Subscription plan = $1499 assuming you have v10/10.5 or $1899 if you dont.

The Subscription plan will be less money than z dollars (including taking into account coupons and specials we may run for buying separately through the course of the year.)

In addition if you work in a corporation where everytime we realease a new product/feature pack/add-on, you need to go and get permission to purchase. Under the Subscription Plan you only have to get the "OK" once during the time period involved.

Even though there has been a fair amount of discussion on this thread about the plan, I can say that the feedback which have received privately, via email and the phone, has been extremely positive and the sign ups so far have exceeded our expectations.

Again i want to mention that this plan is purely another optional way of acquiring your Alpha License (YOU CAN STILL PURCHASE SEPARATELY AND CHOOSE ON A CASE BY CASE BASIS.)

I hope this makes things clearer for you Ken
    Hi Richard,

Yes, I completely understood the the sales approach of one time vs every item. It is by far, a fantastic deal. It's a "no=brainer", except for the 12/29/10 deadline. Great deal or not, There are many, many "MA & PA" loyal customers who've been around since the DOS days who cannot take advantage of the offer because of the short deadline.

That's what's sad.

kenn
    Last edited by forskare; 12-24-2010 at 10:06 AM.

Real Name
    Richard Rabins

Quote Originally Posted by forskare View Post
    Hi Richard,

Yes, I completely understood the the sales approach of one time vs every item. It is by far, a fantastic deal. It's a "no=brainer".

Let's see if I can interpret the marketing idea here?

1. Alpha is now going with a subscription service for which the price is $1499 for A5v10/10.5 users and $1899 for all others.

2. The 12/29/10 deadline is only for the time extension of the first year of service.

So, I could just as well wait until the release of v11 and then buy the subscription service, right?

kenn
    Kenn

you are correct people who sign up now vs waiting end up getting coverage for more than 12 month

The benefits getting the subscription now vs waiting are

a) if you dont have v10.5 or you dont have the full set of the feature packs or add ons for v10.5 - you get all of those now (plus any others we may release before v11)
    b) if you work in a company that has 2010 budget to spend
    c) if you want to be able attend any paid webinars or receive any books/videos (all covered under the plan) that we release between now and v11
    d) if you want to be assured of getting the intro pricing on the subscription plan

Again as - we expect people to evaluate their specific situations and decide what makes sense for them based on their unique circumstances.

Thanks
    Richard Rabins
    Co Chairman
    Alpha Software

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Kenn

you are correct people who sign up now vs waiting end up getting coverage for more than 12 month

The benefits getting the subscription now vs waiting are

a) if you dont have v10.5 or you dont have the full set of the feature packs or add ons for v10.5 - you get all of those now (plus any others we may release before v11)
    What about those who do have v10.5 etc.?

b) if you work in a company that has 2010 budget to spend
    They have to be in the minority, by far!! My bet is 90% plus of all Alpha users, company or not, have nothing in their 2010 budget for software.

c) if you want to be able attend any paid webinars or receive any books/videos (all covered under the plan) that we release between now and v11
    Sounds good but will there be any? I know Alpha is committed to follow through but your're asking us to buy a promise with no guarantee.

d) if you want to be assured of getting the intro pricing on the subscription plan
    What will the pricing be after 12/29/10?

Again as - we expect people to evaluate their specific situations and decide what makes sense for them based on their unique circumstances.

Thanks
    Yes, they are smart customers.

kenn

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

Just for the record - if you look at the new feature in V11, notice the "new charting and graphing engine."

I confirmed yesterday with Selwyn that this new engine is a dot.net utility, and will work as well and as easily for dbf's as for sql, etc. As I am a desktop only developer, this is very good news for me.

He also said they are looking at a new dot.net RTF editor, that would be offered as a feature pack, later on next year, after the initial release has been out for a while. I think this could have a much greater impact for Alpha than anyone realizes - as it would let users copy and paste from heavily formatted sources, like word, web pages, etc.

For me, as a developer with many clients and many different apps, 1,400 is not that much, since I'm already going to buy the full and runtime anyway. For others, I easily see that it must be evaluated on an individual basis.

But I know this: for Alpha to have the resources to push Alpha in all respects (including the RTF editor) into the 21st century, they have to make more than the typical 100 to 500 for their full suite, and the optional feature packs to be used by those who need or want them is a good way to generate the extra income necessary. How long, how many man hours do you think it took to develop just one feature pack - like the one that does a decent job of converting your dbf app to an sql app, that includes grids, etc?
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    martin_w_cole@msn.com

Real Name
    Geoff Meredith

First of all the suggestion I'm about to make will not benefit me personally as I haven't bought any of the feature packs. Alpha have given a loyalty discount for those who already own Alpha 5 V10.5 but they haven't shown any loyalty for those who purchased the feature packs. They should offer a further discount to them. In addition they should extend the subscription plan offer until the end of January 2011. This will give some time to analyse whether the offer is suitable and if necessary push it through any budget approval processes that companies have in place. For many getting approval to spend $1500 can take time especially just before Christmas when people take extra vacation time.

Richard, if you really want to get as many as possible to take this offer up then give some thought and consideration to the time needed to decide and raise/authorise the funds. Offers are great but you may have also missed a lot of developers who have gone on vacation for a winter break.

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Quote Originally Posted by gmeredith17 View Post
    First of all the suggestion I'm about to make will not benefit me personally as I haven't bought any of the feature packs. Alpha have given a loyalty discount for those who already own Alpha 5 V10.5 but they haven't shown any loyalty for those who purchased the feature packs. They should offer a further discount to them. In addition they should extend the subscription plan offer until the end of January 2011. This will give some time to analyse whether the offer is suitable and if necessary push it through any budget approval processes that companies have in place. For many getting approval to spend $1500 can take time especially just before Christmas when people take extra vacation time.

Richard, if you really want to get as many as possible to take this offer up then give some thought and consideration to the time needed to decide and raise/authorise the funds. Offers are great but you may have also missed a lot of developers who have gone on vacation for a winter break.
    There is one thing about anybody's offer, it won't fit or make everybody happy. Richard has said Alpha's base is growing, especially among companies, corps and users world wide. Too often we all have heard how it was when a company was small and now that it's growing or grown up, it's forgotten the folks who supported it during the tough times. We all had suggestions for Alpha on how to expand their base. Sometimes Alpha listened and sometimes they didn't take the advice. Nothing wrong with that. We all would have done the same.

Selwyn is a very talented person who has surrounded himself with other very talented folks as well. Even so, it's extremely difficult to look to the future and run a company at the same time. Thus, enter a CEO for charting the path to the future which no doubt includes how to package Alpha and present it to a new customer base. That is the nature of the beast. If a company is going to prosper and grow, that's what it has to do.

An experienced CEO brings with him what worked and didn't work. The tough part is to figure out what will work for Alpha. Just because a strategy worked for one company does not mean it will work for Alpha. I liken it to my situation. We are getting a new director to run a County Human Services, Nursing and Veteran's office. Rumor has it he's been given an agenda. Agenda or not, if he comes in and immediately begins making wholesale changes, the seas will be stormy and rough. Something will have to give and at some point, it will be him. Then someone else will have to pick up the pieces and try to put Humpty Dumpty together again.

The same is with Alpha, time must be taken to not only assess how ALpha has done things in the past and how they are currently doing things, but time must be taken to evaluate the customer base as well as the visions for the future. I'm not saying anything that the new CEO doesn't already know but I am saying it to gain a perspective on the situation.

All that said, it appears that not enough thought has been put into the new way of doing business. Coming out with a subscription program while a promotion is still in effect is questionable. Designing it the way it is, is also questionable.

At some point, when switching to a new way of doing business, you have to cut bait and run. Not everyone will be happy and not everyone will break even. I won't. By comparing what I bought and when I bought it, to the just concluded offer, I lost $300. Now, I'm asked to pay $1499 for what I already have and v11, whenever that comes out, which in realty, could be as much as a year away. I think it will be out sooner but the only thing I can take to the bank is it's been said it will be here by 12/31/11.

I'm willing to go out a limb here and say I doubt Alpha's new CEO would authorize expenditure of $1499/1899 for something that is up to a year away and no guarantee for that. In today's economy, too much can happen.

I suspect when v11 comes out, the prices will perhaps double. I have no clue but given the nature of what's planned and a new CEO on the job, that's a strong possibility.

One thing really good about this message board is the input and various perspectives. It helps me in making decisions about my future w/Alpha Five.

kenn

Real Name
    Roderick Silva

Wow! All this lashing out is a little surprising.

Here is my view (for whatever it’s worth):

Charting: .NET charts / non-Flash charts. I just received an email from FusionCharts. If I am going to use Fusion on my web application it’s going to cost me more than HALF of what Alpha is offering. So this alone is worth it for me.

Mobile: The same development platform that you are used to but now with Mobile options? Hello? You don’t have to learn another language or platform. This alone is worth it.

.Net Support: Are you kidding me? 1500 classes.!!

New Web Components and new Grids, HTML reporting, JavaScript editor and jQuery, all V11 Feature Packs, and more.

Like Richard said, we are smart customers. Your choice is simple:

1. Keep using V10.5 and use the $1500 for something else. Keep in mind you will most probably want to upgrade to V11 anyway and then you will miss out on all of the free Feature Packs. If you don’t upgrade to V11 this year you will most probably upgrade to V12. You will end up paying an extra $400 for that because it’s not an upgrade.
    2. With all of the new features, can you make an extra $1500? Remember, Alpha is developing a tool that you are using to make money. If we support them we get a better tool in return.

If you are reading this on the Alpha boards then you know that year after year Alpha keeps returning with a better product.

If you don’t think that Mobile, graphs, .Net, and all of the features packs will make you an extra $1500, maybe Excel and Access are a better fit for you? Ha ha. I’m kidding…I’m kidding.
    Thanks,

Roderick Silva
    rodericksilva@gmail.com

About Me: rodericksilva.com
    Twitter: rodericksilva

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Let's get a perspective?

I use alpha on mostly desktop and a will do a few small web apps soon. I really don't need much in feature packs for what I do and can usually find a way to do it myself(with board help). Mostly the subscription plan as written is not for me.

If I was hyuper about being totally up to date and sat doing a lot of web apps that were very intricate or doing a lot of sql and other programming in those areas, the subscription plan would make great sense.

I think it would make better sense to all if it were 100 a month for all and maybe 1000 for a year if paid up front? Maybe with a stronger up front like 500 the first time? Use your own numbers. 500 and then 100 a month is a lot easier than 1200 a year.

I will be doing MUCH more developement beginning in Feruary than I have ever done in my life. I have been solicited a number of times recently to make web pages and stronger desktop apps. Nothing I have been asked to do is where I would need the subscription plan. Maybe it will come.

Remember, we are buying tools from alpha. A good to top mechanic in a dealership has a 60,000 to 150,000 investment in tools(usually Snap-On) to be able to do his/her job. The more tools(bought smart) he has, the more he can do quicker. The get paid by a flat rate hour, not by the hour. If they can do a 4 hour job in 1 hour, they get paid for all four. Same with us!

How much have we invested in our tools to make 50 - 120 per hour? Most mechanics make in the area of 25.00 per flat rate and have to work a very firm schedule with deadlines.

Just my 2 cents worth. You can price as you wish, we can do or move own as we wish. I have had to add outside tools because I cannot do all I want in alpha and they are not included in the service packs. I don't expect they ever will be. Most alopha users don't need them.

Alpha, please be carefull about taking away from your product and then bringing it back as a service pack? Not real good business!

edit: By the way, I retire from 53 years in the auto industry next month 1/11.

Last edited by DaveM; 12-26-2010 at 11:51 AM.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Roderick Silva

I posted this on another "rant" post:

We don't know what is happening behind the scenes. Maybe Alpha knows that most people will upgrade? Maybe the notice that very few users are still on V9 or V8 and that most are on V10? Maybe they are testing these new corporate customers who are know that there is a savings for them compared to other platforms?

I have not asked the people at Alpha but I don't think they will have a problem with my taking a survey and forwarding the results to them.

If you are interested in getting your 'voice' heard by letting Alpha know what you need, fill out this survey.

The Unofficial Alpha User's "Subscription" Survey
    Thanks,

Roderick Silva
    rodericksilva@gmail.com

About Me: rodericksilva.com
    Twitter: rodericksilva

Real Name
    Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by Roderick View Post
    Mobile: The same development platform that you are used to but now with Mobile options? Hello? You don’t have to learn another language or platform. This alone is worth it.
    This thread is in Desktop side and I don't know how this helps in Desktop development. If Alphas plan is to bring Native Mobile to desktop side then it is totally different story.