Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

New subscription plan, leaves room for improvement. (imho)....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New subscription plan, leaves room for improvement. (imho)....

This bird ain't gonna fly. The numbers don't work. On Dec 6th I rec'd a promo that said:
    All in one bundle
    (which includes the Developer's Edition, Runtime, and App Server)
    PLUS Get All 13 Feature Packs
    and get all future V10.5 Feature Packs at No Charge (including the 2 new ones) Regular Price: $2,627
    YOUR PRICE: $699

Buy Now
    The new subscription packs says:
    Upgrade Subscription
    You must already own
    Alpha Five v10 or v10.5
    Your Price
    $1499
    So, if you spent $699 for all the above on Dec 6th, Alpha now wants you to spend an additional $1499 - for...???? - - - huh? - - - something in the future???

To understand the problem we have to go back to square one. We are in the worst recession since the Great Depression. Alpha needs $$$$ But they are going to a, if not dry hole, nearly dry hole. You can't wet your beaker in the same dry hole. Alpha needs a bigger water hole - or several different watering holes. This killer recession with nearly 10% "official" unemployment - and 18% "real" unemployment, with 25% unemployment, or more, in certain geographic sectors, puts many, if not most end user/developers, in the same dry hole that Alpha is trying to tap. Sorry, this bird won't fly. $699 or $1499? You decide.
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

windows xp disk comes with microsoft IIS on it. You can install it by adding MS apps in software in windows control panel.

I just did it yesterday on my cheap server and recieved a hard lesson in slow down. Maybe there are adjustments I will find to help, but not happy with this so far.

As far as the new plan, it may be workable and maybe the price is ok? I don't think the price is low enough to work well and I do believe a monthly plan will be better. Sold software many ways: all up front with yearly maint, half up fron at payments, rent to own, rental. If you heard 200 a month, maybe it sounds better than 2400 a year?

Whatever it is, it starts sounding like serious contracts will have to be in order. What if Alpha sold to Microsoft/or and you have no copy of the plan you paid for. Heaven help you if something happened to the Selyns(certainly not wishing anything bad - love 'em).

More will come to my mind. This is just getting started. It is like negotiations and I am not sure how much the board has researche the far reaching and inticate details of the plan.

Dave Mason
      [email protected]
      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave as was stated in an earlier post this plan is simply a new option for purchasing.

Alpha customers and developers will absolutely continue to be able to purchase alpha five (developer, app server and runtime,) feature packs, add ons, books, webinars etc the existing way I.E on a case by case basis. It all depends on what you need and how you want to acquire your licenses.

The motivation for this plan is to respond to corporations and developers who have been requesting it from us for a long time.
        Thanks
        Richard Rabins
        Co Chairman
        Alpha Software

Comment

A monthly fee of approx 100/month would be great!
          Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Why IIS??? Why not Tomcat? Why do companies continually cram M$ down everyone's throat? Why not offer a choice!!!!

Slowly we've been migrating our M$ server stack to Linux or Linux based appliance. Performance has been better, support on many fronts has been better, and the cost has been lower.

This is not to say M$ doesn't do anything good but why do I have to purchase an M$ monopoly system when I can build a robust Linux web app server or better yet download an appliance that I can run for free? (unless you want support beyond the community).

Saddened by restriction of choice,
            Joe
            Never take a ride to the edge of your mind unless you've got a ticket back - Jon Oliva - Savatage.

Comment

Originally posted by cavj1 View Post
              Why IIS??? Why not Tomcat? Why do companies continually cram M$ down everyone's throat? Why not offer a choice!!!!

Slowly we've been migrating our M$ server stack to Linux or Linux based appliance. Performance has been better, support on many fronts has been better, and the cost has been lower.

This is not to say M$ doesn't do anything good but why do I have to purchase an M$ monopoly system when I can build a robust Linux web app server or better yet download an appliance that I can run for free? (unless you want support beyond the community).

Joe
              Just to be fair, the AFAS runs only on windows.

As long as Alpha Software has been doing things for the web, we have had to put our servers on Windows based computers/servers.

I believe one of the advantages of IIS is that we should be able host several websites on one server without having to use seperate folders in the url (www.mydomain-a.com and www.mydomain-b.com instead of www.mydomain.com/a and www.mydomain.com/b).
              Gregg
              https://paiza.io is a great site to test and share sql code

Comment

Is this subscription offer including the tight 29 Dec deadline mentioned on the main site? I came across it accidentally just by browsing this thread. I didn't get any sort of mail-out via email.

The pricing is very much pitched at the corporate development market with similar $US pricing from some competitors within that field:

Ironspeed Developer (Enterprise) new licence: $2,295 with year updates; 1 year renewal $1,195 (within subscription)

PSSoft Windev Suite (windows, web, mobile) new licence: $2,600 (continuous special offer); upgrade from most recent version (typically 12-18 months old) $1,704. There is usually a cheaper early-bird special of around $1,200.

Powerbuilder 12 Enterprise new licence: $2,995 + $645 for software update; upgrade from previous version: $1,495. There is a variety of support packages available over and above these prices.

As said elsewhere, it would suggest a substantial rise in the base pricing for Alpha products. Alex
                Last edited by AlexOZ; 12-23-2010, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by madtowng View Post
                  As long as Alpha Software has been doing things for the web, we have had to put our servers on Windows based computers/servers.
                  This is totally out of this thread but I must say that of course you can install Alpha on Linux based computers/servers.

Comment

For my own point, I think there are some utilities or procedures that could have or should have been put into a feature pack by now.

The one that stands out from any others would be for online user registration.

I saw the desire for this option while I was at Alpha-U in Las Vegas, where even though we asked about it, the topic was avoided. I still see posts on the message board from new users and experienced users looking for methods accomplish this task that is obviously needed to build a secure website.

Value plays a large part in paying for a subscription.
                    Alpha5 10.5 came out near the time of Alpha-U, Las Vegas. I believe feature packs first became available during that week (May 17, 2010 through May 21,2010). Between that time, and September 30, 2010, Alpha Software pumped out 11 feature packs.
                    At the end of September, we were given the option of paying one price to get all current feature packs, plus all future feature packs that came out for version 10.5.

The date of the last feature pack was October 29, 2010.
                    No new feature packs in November, and so far no new feature packs in December.

I am sure this is coincidental, but I would love to see at least a user registration feature pack before version 11 comes out.
                    Gregg

Comment

Originally posted by cavj1 View Post

Joe
                      I would very much like an option on Linux. IIS is slower, certainly than its linux counterparts. I was using another app which used to generate php and was running on LAMPP server. The grid used to open lightening fast. Migrated to Alpha and the speed reduced but compromised on speed as Alpha had much more to offer. Was running similar stuff on IIS and the speed was between the two. So we just improve a little on migrating to IIS. But a Linux option would speed up things much faster, in my opinion.

M$ loves its customers so much that it doesn't give much room to squirm. Dave, be careful on using XP and IIS. Read M$ license carefully as XP is not allowed to have more than a few clients. Instead of restricting the no of clients, M$ allows any no. to connect but doesn't allow it in license. It is like leaving your house unlocked and leaving a note on the door to not to burgle it. Same goes for Alpha server as it must be hosted on Windows Server if the clients are more than certain nos - I guess 10 (devices) including all peripherials , printers etc.

Linux is freedom. So is Alpha from coding (& from VB,at least in my company). Why restrict freedom...breathe free.

Cheers

CJ

Comment

Originally posted by madtowng View Post
                        For my own point, I think there are some utilities or procedures that could have or should have been put into a feature pack by now.

The one that stands out from any others would be for online user registration.

I saw the desire for this option while I was at Alpha-U in Las Vegas, where even though we asked about it, the topic was avoided. I still see posts on the message board from new users and experienced users looking for methods accomplish this task that is obviously needed to build a secure website.

Value plays a large part in paying for a subscription.
                        Alpha5 10.5 came out near the time of Alpha-U, Las Vegas. I believe feature packs first became available during that week (May 17, 2010 through May 21,2010). Between that time, and September 30, 2010, Alpha Software pumped out 11 feature packs.
                        At the end of September, we were given the option of paying one price to get all current feature packs, plus all future feature packs that came out for version 10.5.
                        I second Madtowng's opinion. Web user management has been a hot desire for many of us and can see this on many forum questions. It is not difficult to do it manually (coding). But a codeless option would be an excellent feature.

I also second Madtowng's second point. I also bought feature packs in blocks and paid more than the option came out for all in feature pack price. You kinda feel cheated !!

Comment

Originally posted by kkfin View Post
                          This is totally out of this thread but I must say that of course you can install Alpha on Linux based computers/servers.
                          @Kkfin...how? I do not think this is possible?

CJ

Comment

>>I also second Madtowng's second point. I also bought feature packs in blocks and paid more than the option came out for all in feature pack price. You kinda feel cheated !!

If you read the feature pack mailings attentively then you should have seen this:

"Already purchased some of these?
                            Depending on what you bought, you may qualify for a credit towards one of these offers. Just email [email protected] or call us at 1 781.229.4500 x 1."

I got a fair price for my all feature pack deal.
                            Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper87 View Post
                              >

"Already purchased some of these?
                              Depending on what you bought, you may qualify for a credit towards one of these offers. Just email [email protected] or call us at 1 781.229.4500 x 1."

I got a fair price for my all feature pack deal.
                              I did not response after sending mail thrice. Gave up.

Comment

Originally posted by cjsingh View Post
                                I did not response after sending mail thrice. Gave up.
                                Let me start this right.
                                I love Alpha Software, even more with Richard and Selwyn Rabins in charge (I do remember that horrible time when it was controlled by a different company).

Thanks to Alpha Software, I have been able to create some amazing databases, including one for warehousing that charges for storeage by the skid, and transactions by the sku (many skids have more than one item) in a relatively short time.

I have purchased multiple developer licenses and
                                AFAS licenses through Alpha Software. I purchased the unlimited runtime licensing through Alpha Software. I signed up and paid for Alpha-U in Las Vegas through Alpha Software. I even purchased all the feature packs, including the option for all new feature packs released for version 10.5.

Knowing that this information is in a database because it takes a phone call to get things working when a server fails or is otherwise replaced, wouldn't it be nice if the emails sent regarding such things were customized for what they know you own ?

If I received an email saying "We know you purchased all these items, this is what it will cost for this next package", it would certainly make things a lot easier for me to make that decision.

I realize the pricing option is only a phone call away, but I am responsible for things around the clock, and quite honestly, just forget to call Alpha Software.
                                Gregg

Comment

Working...
                                X