Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

"Email from on high"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Email from on high"

My conclusion is that Alpha's built in email automation does not work on the WAS. It only works through a desktop app or on the developer. This is because the script and the genie filters are not present on the WAS.

The work around I found was to install the developer on the server and creating the automation as follows.

I created a generic database and created the automation script using the genie. I than modified the addrecord code from the demo script for my divine purposes.

I added the common table from my published web app. to the generic database. Works like a charm. This technique would also give you all the functionality of the desktop on the server.

I understand that this can all be done through an a5w page with email_receive but I haven't mastered that yet.

Here is a licensing questioned. If I wanted to deploy this for a customer could I do the desktop portion licensed as a desktop application? This seems to make sense.

The program would essentially be a hybrid, but the licensed desktop app would reside on the server.

Bob
    Last edited by bob9145; 01-01-2011, 04:23 PM.

Re: "Email from on high"

My conclusion is that Alpha's built in email automation does not work on the WAS.
    Seems like I have heard that before.

Take a moment to describe what you want to accomplish, big picture. Think about how Facebook, etc. handle "data entry by email". An email is sent to a user triggered by some event, the user is NOT allowed to respond to the email. Instead they click a link embedded in that email. That link opens a browser page and code on that browser page can do ANYTHING, such as adding a record. E.g., the a link as follows could add a record to the user table:

mydomain.com/index.a5w?action=add&user=fred&city=Chicago (although I would not make the URL so obvious, and you need to include code to ensure it only performs the action once).

This is how nearly every online service handle data exchange, no one uses the body of the email sent to an address to do anything like this. Email is completely unreliable for this purpose.

With the URL method the user is instantly informed as to the outcome. The browser page either says Success or Failure, depending on how you code it. With an Email method, the user has no idea if it worked or not, or if they do, it is at some later date.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Re: "Email from on high"

Steve,

I get all that and eventually I will move to a more consistent and sophisticated method. My purpose is more akin to a tweet. I am just using email/SMS, and a database like bumpers and flippers in a pin ball game.

I made the post because I never did get a definitive answer on what was on the WAS concerning email and wanted to share my results. Besides my posts and those who contributed, there isn't much out there in the help or on the wiki concerning receiving email from a web app.

Is there a way to run scripts from the WAS that are not triggered by the user in a browser window in Alpha? I could go to the database side and write stuff in say an a sql trigger but I don't understand how I can get code to run on the WAS independently of the browser without the assistance of a desktop app.

I know you described accomplishing this through an a5w page that was all code, but I don't quite understand that. I appreciate your input.

Happy New Year
      Bob
      PS: You'll know it worked when you get the confirmation email/text
      Last edited by bob9145; 01-02-2011, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X