Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Multiple Web Sites on one A5 WAS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Multiple Web Sites on one A5 WAS

After 24 hours of effort, it is my analysis that without specific modifications by Alpha, Alpha Five WAS cannot be run behind Apache or any other web server front-end.

For those interested, the hurdle at the moment is displayed in Gregory's last post with an image attachment, where it says "myweb/myweb/". The fact is you can tell Apache what the DocumentRoot is, but I can find no way for Apache to tell ALPHA what the DocumentRoot is. So in each case where Alpha places a Form Submit button or other action involving a CallBack, the path or Form Action is based on what Alpha understands the DocumentRoot to be, what is set in the AlphaWAS configuration.

Running from Apache, login totally fails under IE8 for some reason, but works from Firefox and Chrome. But the problem in the paragraph above has nothing to do with security, it has to do with what Alpha thinks is the path.

I say this is "not possible" because even if the above is solved, there are going to be other issues. A couple of the guys on this conversation have overcome some issues, only to find other problems.

BTW, I can see how everything might work if each web folder was run on a separate instance of AlphaWAS, allowing me to assign a different DocumentRoot to each website directly in Alpha's configuration. I may try this. This does not defeat the purpose, because the purpose was never to 'bypass' Alpha's licensing regarding Instances, it was to provide better security to the web application, and open up avenues for load balancing, etc.

The fact is that Alpha does not support running their web server under Apache and they would have to officially support this, and make modifications, to allow it to happen, and that's not likely to happen.

If you want to try this, the most recent Apache script below will work up to the point I described (I don't mean my specific URL's will work, I have already removed those from my DNS).

I'd be glad to work with anyone that goes through the steps to test this and knows what they are doing, and has a good idea.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve

If nothing else we gave it a big try You are right the directory return seems to be the issue I have been reading all day about any quirks in the mod_proxy and find nothing I am using Apache 1.3.7 or some older version right now and all works in the alpha document folder root only I have enabled security and found no problems logging in with firefox chrome or IE 7 edits to the data all work also

Conclusion same as yours app server is the stopping point However what we have done - poor payback for the time spent is to find a way to get to the app server without IIS as windows XP can only support 1 website but will run apache and host headers in IIS on a windows server would pricey for some

Final we just have to buy a app server licenses for each running event / web hit them with proxypass and it's done

Guess dependent on the application it will give a place to use the OLD app servers we have licenses for - less demanding sites

Greg
      doesn't mean I will give up though
      Last edited by glbaird; 01-16-2011, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Hi all,

I am getting the security to work on all of my grids. If the submit button is part of the grid it works. I have not tested a custom button though.

Where I got stuck was when I was calling registration form. My registration is doing a lot even though it is simple.

So I just made the link explicit http:\\mysite:81/myfolder/reg.a5w

And it works.

So on the the reasons why I am working to do this three reasons:

1. Load balancing is absolutely critical to what I do:
        2. I see my development environment looking as follows:

Dev Workstation:
        - Web App1
        - Web App2
        - Web App(n)
        - Web App2 (version2)
        - Web App3 (Experimental)

Production Servers:
        - Web App1
        - Web App1 (testing)
        - Web App1 (Version2)

Mirrored Production Server (load balancing)
        - Web App1
        - Web App1 (testing)

3. With few lines of code change in the apache server I can adjust my development and production environments.

4. Project folders inside of AlphaFive are not sufficient for managing this process. Too confusing and more of a headache than a help.

5. Need to have truly robust developer license: It is a pain in the but to go looking for a WAS developer license just to do testing or to maximize pre-deployment resources. From my understanding there has never been a problem with using one WAS license to do pre-deployment and testing on, or to run small internet apps. However there is a lot of grey understanding here.

I would think this is one of the areas that Alpha could make quite robust - both from a software and licensing standpoint.

Thanks Steve and Greg for your help here.

Regards,

Michael Carroll

www.redrocksbluesky.com
        www.theminimalistrunner.com
        [email protected]
        435-275-5170

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
        After 24 hours of effort, it is my analysis that without specific modifications by Alpha, Alpha Five WAS cannot be run behind Apache or any other web server front-end.

For those interested, the hurdle at the moment is displayed in Gregory's last post with an image attachment, where it says "myweb/myweb/". The fact is you can tell Apache what the DocumentRoot is, but I can find no way for Apache to tell ALPHA what the DocumentRoot is. So in each case where Alpha places a Form Submit button or other action involving a CallBack, the path or Form Action is based on what Alpha understands the DocumentRoot to be, what is set in the AlphaWAS configuration.

Running from Apache, login totally fails under IE8 for some reason, but works from Firefox and Chrome. But the problem in the paragraph above has nothing to do with security, it has to do with what Alpha thinks is the path.

I say this is "not possible" because even if the above is solved, there are going to be other issues. A couple of the guys on this conversation have overcome some issues, only to find other problems.

BTW, I can see how everything might work if each web folder was run on a separate instance of AlphaWAS, allowing me to assign a different DocumentRoot to each website directly in Alpha's configuration. I may try this. This does not defeat the purpose, because the purpose was never to 'bypass' Alpha's licensing regarding Instances, it was to provide better security to the web application, and open up avenues for load balancing, etc.

The fact is that Alpha does not support running their web server under Apache and they would have to officially support this, and make modifications, to allow it to happen, and that's not likely to happen.

If you want to try this, the most recent Apache script below will work up to the point I described (I don't mean my specific URL's will work, I have already removed those from my DNS).

I'd be glad to work with anyone that goes through the steps to test this and knows what they are doing, and has a good idea.

Comment

I will try with security in SQL, but will probably abandon the cause shortly after that and wait for V11.
          Steve Wood
          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve,

I am also thinking that anyplace that needs to have an explicit URL can be automated with aliases...
            [myroot] = http:\\mysite.com:81/m

Regards,

Michael Carroll

www.redrocksbluesky.com
            www.theminimalistrunner.com
            [email protected]
            435-275-5170

Comment

I think it is going to break down as the application grows and becomes more complex. There are references to "grid instances" for any ajax component, ajax callbacks, form Action, etc. And most of these are automated by Alpha within compiled code. I did all of my testing using my own Framework which is a comprehensive application with a little of everything.
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve

I did a bit more testing and all works without using sub-folders
                Proxy is pretty common in the web world so apache has it's place
                Windows server 2008 and IIS 7 will do some proxy but not fully

There are quite a few more aspects to be worked out but version 11 may change some of it

The app server is the only non standard part of the puzzle and being bound to run on windows is a drawback with it's cost getting a system that can handle dot net 4

Ideal at this point is a Linux server with apache and mysql even a mail server for those that need it gives a person a reasonable system to work with leaving the app server on a windows box

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by glbaird View Post
                  Ideal at this point is a Linux server with apache and mysql even a mail server for those that need it gives a person a reasonable system to work with leaving the app server on a windows box
                  When running own Linux/Apache/MySql LAM(P) machine it is also possible to install Alpha APP Server to this same Linux machine so you don't need a separate machine at all.

Comment

And exactly how do you run AlphaWAS on a Linux server?
                    Steve Wood
                    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by kkfin View Post
                      When running own Linux/Apache/MySql LAM(P) machine it is also possible to install Alpha APP Server to this same Linux machine so you don't need a separate machine at all.

How is this done? Dual boot won't work and I would be afraid to even try WINE or some other emulator I do have both on running on one box but it is a Linux cloud server with Server 2003 as a guest for the app server

This still costs about the same by the time you build a brute for the cloud server Linux will run on about any little box you were going to toss aside that leaves some old xp box for the app server

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
                        And exactly how do you run AlphaWAS on a Linux server?
                        You can use Oracle's Virtualbox for Was
                        Use also an extra ethernet-card for Virtualbox.

• Install Linux LAMP Server. Test it works like you want.
                        • Install Virtualbox to Linux
                        • Install Windows OS to Virtualbox
                        • Install WAS to Windows OS in Virtualbox

After this you have full featured Linux machine running WAS(and Linux).
                        You can run several separate Virtualboxes in same Linux machine if you want. They can have all different configuration and OS.
                        So combination Linux + Virtualbox with WAS + Virtualbox with Alpha development enviroment is possible as any other combination.

Comment

After all this work is done and running (BTW great job!) , check care full that your V10 WAS license keeps running or you have the result of a virtual business and floating WAS.
                          Maybe better to run in save mode on IIS and V11. Benefit you can stay in bed save hours of work and questions will it be save and secure?.
                          Alpha is a 100% Windows product that will not change is my opion secondly with IIS you have all the charm of webfarms load balance fail over ::Net functions etc.

m2p.

Comment

Originally posted by kkfin View Post
                            You can use Oracle's Virtualbox for Was
                            Use also an extra ethernet-card for Virtualbox.

• Install Linux LAMP Server. Test it works like you want.
                            • Install Virtualbox to Linux
                            • Install Windows OS to Virtualbox
                            • Install WAS to Windows OS in Virtualbox

After this you have full featured Linux machine running WAS(and Linux).
                            You can run several separate Virtualboxes in same Linux machine if you want. They can have all different configuration and OS.
                            So combination Linux + Virtualbox with WAS + Virtualbox with Alpha development enviroment is possible as any other combination.
                            This is not getting WAS/AFAS to run on linux, this is installing WAS/AFAS on a virtual windows machine.
                            Gregg
                            https://paiza.io is a great site to test and share sql code

Comment

Originally posted by madtowng View Post
                              This is not getting WAS/AFAS to run on linux, this is installing WAS/AFAS on a virtual windows machine.
                              You got the point

Comment

So, before I run down this path and join the fray:

I have VPS running Windows Server 2008 R2 with IIS v7.5. It seems I should be able to configure IIS to detect multiple domains and point different domain traffic to different ports (e.g., 81, 82, 83 ...). Then I'd run multiple AFWS' listening on different ports. e.g. site1 is redirected to AFWS running on port 81 (AFWS:81), site2 is redirected to AFWS:82, site2 is redirected to AFWS:83, etc.

Should this work?

Comment

Working...
                                X