Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Multiple Published Sites - Clarification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Published Sites - Clarification

If you have:
    Development Environment
    - Web App 1 (Separate File)
    - Web App 2 (Separate File)

--Published (localhost)
    --- Web App 1 (Separate File)
    --- Web App 2 (Separate File)

You can have:
    Server running A5 WAS - (1 IP address - 1 WAS License)
    - Published (www.WebApp1.com)
    --- Web App 1

or

Server running A5 WAS - (2 IP address)
    - 1st WAS and (1st WAS License bound to 1st IP address)
    --- Published (www.WebApp1.com)
    ----- Web App 1
    - 2nd WAS and (2nd WAS License bound to 1st IP address)
    --- Published (www.WebApp1.com)
    ----- Web App 1

or

--- Web App 1

- Published (www.WebApp2.com)
    --- Web App 2

You cannot have:
    --- Web App 1
    - Published (www.WebApp2.com)
    --- Web App 2

You can get pretty far in finding work arounds - running proxypass on the Apache web server, and directly manipulating links so that they are explicit. But ultimately it does not work!

Again for me this is not about bypassing licensing, but having a robust development environment where I can experiment, test, pre-deploy, and do really cool stuff. You just cannot do that within the confines of a developer workstation. You need a real server environment to do this...

To me the next version (v11) needs to have a robust developer license... Alpha is a blast to work in, except for this issue above.

If anyone has a different understanding than this -- please speak up!

Regards,

Michael Carroll

www.redrocksbluesky.com
    www.theminimalistrunner.com
    [email protected]
    435-275-5170

Re: Multiple Published Sites - Clarification

I think that is right, as long as you clarify in the first instance (two apps on same server) that those are not full WAS licenses, but the newly introduced "Instance License", less expensive than full license. But having said that, there is nothing at the Alpha Store about such licensing.

You can also have c:\a5webroot\app1, c:\a5webroot\app2 if those apps are just for testing, not live. I have several under www.ialpha5.com for testing, client staging, etc, all under one WAS Instance. I would not run those as live applications because of the session sharing problem, but other than than they are good for temporary use.

I would also say that at this time there is no requirement for multiple WAS or Instance licenses for a given server. There is nothing that says that anywhere, least of all in the licensing agreement.
    Last edited by Steve Wood; 06-17-2012, 07:18 AM.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Please explain ::Alpha::Instance::Full::Instance

but the <newly introduced> "Instance License", less expensive than full license. But having said that, there is nothing at the Alpha Store about such licensing.

Comment

I don't know how to explain it. The notice about Instances and licensing came and went, there is nothing about Instances at the Store or in any persistent documentation. I don't know anything more.
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve,

Do you mean I cannot post my own(not a client as they would have 1 license and one app) 2 or 3 apps on the web according to the license? I am referring to app1 and app2 in your scenario. If so, That would P%$#n me off. I will go read it.

You can also have c:\a5webroot\app1, c:\a5webroot\app2 if those apps are just for testing, not live. I have several under www.ialpha5.com for testing, client staging, etc, all under one WAS Instance. I would not run those as live applications because of the session sharing problem, but other than than they are good for temporary use.

edit:

License AGREEMENT

Important: The enclosed program is licensed by ALPHA Software, Inc (ALPHA) to customers for their use only on the terms set forth below. Either physically or electronically, opening this package or use of the program indicates your acceptance of the terms of this AGREEMENT.

1. License: ALPHA hereby agrees to grant you a non-exclusive license to use the enclosed ALPHA program (the "Program") subject to the terms and restrictions set forth in this License AGREEMENT. If you do not agree with the terms of this AGREEMENT, do not install and/or use the software.

JavaScript Libraries: The JavaScript libraries that are included with the Program may only be used on a machine on which a licensed copy of the Program is installed.

2. Copyright: The Program and its documentation are protected by US copyright law and international treaty provisions. You may not copy or otherwise reproduce any part of the Program or its documentation, except that you may load the Program into a computer as an essential step in executing the Program on a single computer.

3. Restrictions on Use and Transfer: You may install and use one copy of the Software Product on a single computer. A license for the Software Product may not be used concurrently on different Devices. You may not distribute copies of the Program or its documentation to others. Neither the Program nor its documentation may be modified or translated without written permission from ALPHA. You may not use, copy, modify, or transfer the Program, or any copy, modification or merged portion, in whole or in part, except as expressly provided for in the license.

4. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS. All title and intellectual property rights in and to the Software Product (including but not limited to any images, photographs, animations, video, audio, music, text, and "applets" incorporated into the Software Product), the accompanying printed materials, and any copies of the Software Product are owned by ALPHA or its suppliers. All title and intellectual property rights in and to the content that is not contained in the Software Product, but may be accessed through use of the Software Product, is the property of the respective content owners and may be protected by applicable copyright or other intellectual property laws and treaties. This AGREEMENT grants you no rights to use such content. If this Software Product contains documentation that is provided only in electronic form, you may print one copy of such electronic documentation. You may not copy the printed materials accompanying the Software Product

5. BACKUP COPY. After installation of one copy of the Software Product pursuant to this AGREEMENT, you may keep the original media on which the Software Product was provided by Alpha solely for backup or archival purposes. Except as expressly provided in this AGREEMENT, you may not otherwise make copies of the Software Product or the printed materials
          accompanying the Software Product.

6 Exclusion of Warranty; Limitation of Liability; Limited Diskette Warranty:
          (a) The program and its documentation are provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, the IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. The entire risk as to the results and performance of the program is assumed by you. Should the Program or its documentation prove defective, you (and not Alpha or its dealers) assume the entire cost of all necessary servicing, repair, or correction.
          (b) In no event shall Alpha nor its suppliers no anyone else who has been involved in the creation, production, or delivery of this Program and its documentation be liable for any direct, indirect, consequential, special or incidental damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages from the loss of profits, business interruptions, loss of business or confidential or other information, or business interruption, or personal injury, or loss or privacy, or failure to meet any duty including of good faith or reasonable care or negligence or any other pecuniary loss or other loss whatsoever) arising out of or in any way related to the use of or inability to use such products, or the provision of or the failure by ALPHA or any of its suppliers to provide support services or otherwise under or in connection with any provision of this AGREEMENT, even in the event of the fault, tort (including negligence) strict liability, breach of contract or breach of warranty of Alpha or any supplier and even if Alpha or any supplier has been advised of the possibility of such damages or claim
          (c) Alpha warrants the enclosed CD (but not the Program contained thereon) to be free of defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for 30 days after purchase. During the 30-day period, you may return a defective CD to an Authorized Alpha Dealer, and it will be replaced without charge unless the diskette or CD is damaged by accident or misuse. Replacement of a diskette or CD is your sole remedy in the event of a defect. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state.

7. Product Improvements: Alpha reserves the right to make corrections or improvements to the Program and its documentation and to the related CD at any time without notice and with no responsibility to provide these changes to purchasers of earlier versions of such products.

8. Operating Systems: This product is licensed for use on any compatible version of Microsoft Windows, up to and including Microsoft Windows 7.

9. Term: This license is effective until terminated. You may terminate it by destroying the Program and its documentation and all copies thereof. This license will also terminate if you fail to comply with any term or AGREEMENT. You agree upon such termination to destroy all copies of the Program and its documentation.

10. ENTIRE AGREEMENT. This AGREEMENT is the entire AGREEMENT between you and ALPHA relating to the Software Product and the support services (if any) and they supersede all prior or contemporaneous oral or written communications, proposals and representations with respect to the Software Product or any other subject matter covered by this AGREEMENT. To the extent the terms of any ALPHA policies or programs for support services conflict with the terms of this AGREEMENT, the terms of this AGREEMENT shall control.

11. This AGREEMENT is governed by the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. USA

Last edited by Steve Wood; 01-10-2013, 06:10 AM.
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Like I said, I don't know. The license agreement doesn't mention multiple apps or Instances, but some time ago Alpha had sent an "offer" of multiple Instances Packs per License at some specific price. That announcement indicated you had to pay for each Instance, but it came and went, nothing more heard.

In the c:\a5webroot\app1, c:\a5webroot\app2 scenario I describe, that is ONE Instance. And I say that is good for testing/staging and other non-commercial use, but a technical problem for commercial use.
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

And I say that is good for testing/staging and other non-commercial use, but a technical problem for commercial use.
              I would say it depends on the web sites. The way you currently work, it would be a problem. If I put a client on that way, he could also have a problem.

One thing for sure, There are way to many servers out there that can handle what is needed. That means 699 is a high price to pay except we like using alpha and it takes more time and effort to make an app like we want with/for the other servers. We all did ask for the server. NO COMPLAINTS about that.

I for one can make an equivalent db app or two with all free tools and host it for free. A lot of people on here can do that and better than me. It just takes more time and effort. The other side would be, we would not be confined to only a windows environment with other servers and tools.

I hope they get it fixed so it will not hamper you, me and others.

Dave Mason
              [email protected]
              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
              X