Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Getting output values from MySQL stored procedures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting output values from MySQL stored procedures

Little by little, I'm starting to get stored procedures sorted out, and this is the next step.

I have a process where I feed in a job number, then create an invoice header and the invoice lines. I wrote it first using Alpha to execute the inserts and get the result sets and that works just fine. Now I'm trying to put it in a stored procedure. (never satisfied!)

My problem is I'd like to get the invoice number that was created back out as an output variable. I've been through the WIKI, but once you get beyond State="MA", it doesn't explain things very well.

So far, I've got a stored procedure that I've successfully tested in Navicat that is
    create_invoice(IN p_jobno INT, OUT p_invno INT)

and, in Alpha, I'm trying

cnx.open("::name::sda")
    argz.add("argJobno",e.rv.session.__protected__jobno)
    argz.set("argInvno",0,OutputArgument)

this set statement if probably part of the problem...I've tried several variations using quotes and using the word "as"...the WIKI isn't clear and there's no example... but this is the only version I've found that doesn't give an error.

cnx.execute("call create_invoice(:argJobno,:argInvno)",argz)

This also doesn't give an error, but it also dosn't work.

Next problem is, if this did work, how do I get the value back out of the output variable?
    I've tried
    crs=cnx.ResultSet
    crs.data(1)
    but that gives an error

I've also tried
    vInvnum=:argInvno
    which also gives an error.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me with any part of this puzzle.
    Thanks,
    Pat
    Pat Bremkamp
    MindKicks Consulting

Re: Getting output values from MySQL stored procedures

If you were to go to the terminal window in MySQL you should be able to :
    call create_invoice()
    to get the value returned to the screen.

So I believe that to do this in A5 you would:

OK = cn.open("::name::sda")
    IF OK THEN
    argz.add("argJobno",e.rv.session.__protected__jobno)
    argz.add("argInvno",OutputArgument)

sqlStatement = <<%sql%
    call add_new_user(:argJobno,:argInvno) %sql%

OK = cn.execute(sqlStatement,myargs)

sqlStatement2 = <<%sql%
    call add_new_user() %sql%

OK = cn.ResultSet(sqlStatement2)
    OK.Data(1)

IF .NOT. OK THEN
    'lcErrorMsg = cn.CallResult.text + crlf() + "Time - " + ctime(Now()) + lcErrorMsgNo + crlf()
    'save_to_file(lcErrorMsg,"c:\a5wroot\m\Error.txt",.T.)
    'lcErrorMsg = "\"alert('"+ js_escape(cn.CallResult.text) + space(2) + lcErrorMsgNo + space(1) + "');\""
    'Result.ErrorHTML = lcErrorMsg
    END IF
    cn.Close()

Regards,

Michael Carroll

www.redrocksbluesky.com
    www.theminimalistrunner.com
    [email protected]
    435-275-5170

Comment

Michael,

Have you been successful using the syntax you show?

I appreciate your answering, and I'm trying to learn from it, but I'm afraid I'm confused by a couple things, so please be patient while I ask a couple questions.

1. As I read the WIKI, you have to use argz.set() for an output variable and you have to include a dummy value that is used to indicate what type the output variable is. Can you use argz.add() without the variable instead?

2. What is the purpose of the statement OK.Data(1)?

Thanks,
      Pat
      Pat Bremkamp
      MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Pat,

When I sent you the reply I was in a hurry. When I got back to my office I realized it was also CRAP! So I went to work to figure it out. By the way, there is no documentation about how to do this for MySQL databases. Just MS_SQL.

So I took the liberty to write a short tutorial on how to make this work.

Michael Carroll

------------------------------------------------
        How to Return Data From Running a MySQL Stored Procedure
        ------------------------------------------------

The first thing to note is that all of the examples for calling store procedures in the help and in the wiki video's are for MS_SQL and will not work with MySQL.

In testing your stored procedures in MySQL it is first helpful to get it to work directly from your terminal window or from the SQL Editor in MySQL Workbench.

To do this I created a simple table and then populated it:

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS myTable (
        `id` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
        `last` varchar(255) default NULL,
        `first` varchar(255) default NULL,
        `state` varchar(50) default NULL,
        `zip` varchar(255) default NULL,
        PRIMARY KEY (`id`))
        ENGINE = InnoDB;

INSERT INTO `myTable` (`id`,`last`,`first`,`state`,`zip`) VALUES ('100','Gregory','Rigel','IL','30662');
        INSERT INTO `myTable` (`id`,`last`,`first`,`state`,`zip`) VALUES ('101','Duke','Yen','SD','29095');
        INSERT INTO `myTable` (`id`,`last`,`first`,`state`,`zip`) VALUES ('102','Lancaster','Valentine','AK','06988');
        INSERT INTO `myTable` (`id`,`last`,`first`,`state`,`zip`) VALUES ('103','Hobbs','Stewart','NV','23566');
        INSERT INTO `myTable` (`id`,`last`,`first`,`state`,`zip`) VALUES ('104','Mcdaniel','Dominique','IN','52695');
        INSERT INTO `myTable` (`id`,`last`,`first`,`state`,`zip`) VALUES ('105','Molina','Zorita','MA','53284');
        INSERT INTO `myTable` (`id`,`last`,`first`,`state`,`zip`) VALUES ('106','Whitfield','Stuart','IA','31454');
        INSERT INTO `myTable` (`id`,`last`,`first`,`state`,`zip`) VALUES ('107','Rosa','Anthony','CA','63758');
        INSERT INTO `myTable` (`id`,`last`,`first`,`state`,`zip`) VALUES ('108','Allison','Chloe','SD','88903');
        INSERT INTO `myTable` (`id`,`last`,`first`,`state`,`zip`) VALUES ('109','Faulkner','Gannon','HI','31014');
        INSERT INTO `myTable` (`id`,`last`,`first`,`state`,`zip`) VALUES ('110','Cooper','Leah','WV','30786');

I then created a simple stored procedure to filter the table by the field "State". For this procedure I wanted to use an IN variable and an OUT variable.

DELIMITER $$
        CREATE PROCEDURE count_names_bystate(
        IN vstate VARCHAR(2),
        OUT vcount INT)
        BEGIN
        SELECT count(first)
        INTO vcount
        FROM mytable
        WHERE state = vstate;
        END$$
        DELIMITER ;

Next I went to the terminal window and tested the stored procedure.

Note: MySQL requires two things to take place when returning a variable. (1) CALL the stored procedure (2) run a SELECT statement. It is this peculiarity that makes this a different animal than calling a stored procedure in MS_SQL.

Getting it to run from the MySQL terminal window is critical. So here is the two commands to run and return the result from our stored procedure:

CALL count_names_bystate("CA",@vcount);
        SELECT @vcount AS "count";

Now lets run it from the terminal window:

mysql> CALL count_names_bystate("CA",@vcount);
        Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> SELECT @vcount AS "count";
        +-------+
        | count |
        +-------+
        | 4 |
        +-------+
        1 row in set (0.00 sec)

"Cool" this is exactly what we want it to do. Now lets go do the same with xbasic from a basic a5w web page.

Here is the code that you can copy into a blank a5w page. After this page I will break the code down into its parts

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
        <html>
        <head>
        <meta name="generator" content="Alpha Five HTML Editor Version 10 Build 3739-3629">
        <!-- must use in order to make XP Themes render -->
        <meta HTTP-EQUIV="MSThemeCompatible" content="Yes" />
        <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />

<title>Testing a stored procedure and returning something cool!</title>

<%a5
        dim vMsg as c = ""

dim cn as sql::connection
        dim rs as sql::ResultSet
        dim args as sql::arguments
        dim ok as l
        dim vstate as c

dim lcErrorMsg as c
        dim lcErrorMsgNo as n

args.add("vstate","CA")
        'args.set("vcount",@vcount,OutputArgument)

ok = cn.open("::name::minimalist")
        cn.PortableSQLEnabled = .f.
        if ok then
        sqlStatement = <<%sql%
        call count_names_bystate(:vstate,@vcount);
        %sql%
        OK = cn.execute(sqlStatement,args)
        lcErrorMsg = cn.CallResult.text + crlf() + "Time - " + ctime(Now()) + lcErrorMsgNo + crlf()
        save_to_file(lcErrorMsg,"c:\Error.txt",.T.)
        if ok then
        sqlStatement = <<%sql%
        SELECT @vcount as count;
        %sql%
        lcErrorMsg = cn.CallResult.text + crlf() + "Time - " + ctime(Now()) + lcErrorMsgNo + crlf()
        if ok then
        rs = cn.ResultSet
        cn.close()
        end if
        end if
        end if
        rs.data(1)

IF .NOT. OK THEN
        END IF
        dim mytext as c
        mytext = rs.data(1)

vMsg = mytext + " is the count" 'put the count of the records here

%>

</head>
        <body bgColor=#ffffff><%a5 ?"What is the count: " + vMsg %>
        <br></body></html>

Ok here are my notes on how this works:

I stole this from looking at Bob Moore's code - I call it the "Im OK code". At each step of the process there is a if "If OK" statement. I kind of like it because when your are running the debugger you can easily see where the code was not "OK". It works for me.

Also I am using an error message at each of these steps, especially when I want to troubleshoot MySQL code, to write to a text file. You cannot believe how helpful this is.

It returns something like this when it does not work:

Your database has returned the following error code and description to Alpha Five.
        Consult your database documentation for further information.

1064 - 'You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'call count_names_bystate('CA',@vcount)' at line 1'

And when it does work:

Success
        Time - 20110122043600441

Now on to the important stuff:

-- Arguments --

This is what I stated out with, and then commented out the args.set line.

args.add("vstate","CA")
        'args.set("vcount",@vcount,OutputArgument)

Here you see that I have set this up like one of the help documents suggests in the Wiki - this leads you down a false path:

http://www.alphafivewiki.com/SQL+Arg...numerated+Type
        SQL::ArgumentUsage Enumerated Type
        This is an enumerated type with one of the values below.
        ⁃ InputArgument : Data value must be set before calling.
        ⁃ InputOutputArgument : Data value must be set before calling.
        ⁃ OutputArgument : Value is irrelevant, but must be set to determine the type before calling.

From reading this you would think that you needed to use the args.set command with the OutputArgument. But with MySQL you do not!

So what do you have to do? We are basically going to replicate what is going on when we use the terminal window to run the MySQL code directly against the database.

Step 1
        Setup and get ready to the connect to our MySQL datbase:

dim ok as l
        dim vstate as c

dim lcErrorMsg as c
        dim lcErrorMsgNo as n

Step 2
        Add any arguments that are needed. In this case we are just passing the state parameter.
        args.add("vstate","CA")

Step 3
        Lets get it done and connect.

But wait. We have to speak MySQL soon after we connect so we need to let AlphaFive know this.

Step 4
        We are going to speak MySQL:

sqlStatement = <<%sql%
        %sql%

Here we pass the argument for vstate and we put the "@vcount" just as we did in from the terminal window. Nothing is being passed to this MySQL variable. It just needs to take up space here.

(BIG NOTE HERE! -- I tried running these sqlStatements as one statement. No error is thrown, but no results are posted to the ResultSet. --)

This is just the first phrase - so lets pass the next one. This is the phrase that returns the value we created in our stored procedure.

sqlStatement = <<%sql%
        SELECT @vcount as count;
        %sql%

Here we again replicate the terminal commands. The @vcount shows up again and is the MySQL variable and of course we have to tell it how to present itself. One row and we are going to call it "count".

Also, the logs are now reporting back with "success" in or error.txt file.

Step 5
        Lets see if all of our work has paid off and we get a return value. Also lets close our database connection. Even though we have closed the connection we can still extract the data as we have assigned it to the variable rs.

rs = cn.ResultSet
        cn.close()

Just standard xbasic ResultSet. We know that there is only one row so we are going to use the command

rs.data(1) to extract the value.

Step 6
        Lets do something with the value and display it on our new web page.

dim mytext as c
        mytext = rs.data(1)

vMsg = mytext + " is the count"

vMsg is the variable that we are going to use to pass this information to our web page.

<body bgColor=#ffffff><%a5 ?"What is the count: " + vMsg %>
        <br></body></html>

Step 7
        Execute that page by clicking on the lightning bolt icon. A selected browser will open up and display your results.

References:
        MySQL Stored procedure Tutorial: http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?98,358569,358569

If you find any errors or suggestions please let me know and I will post a corrected document.

Regards,

Michael Carroll

www.redrocksbluesky.com
        [email protected]
        435-275-5170

Comment

Michael,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. That was much more than I expected, but just what I needed! Maybe Alpha should use it in their WIKI. I'll try it this morning.

The things you pointed out that I was missing that stand out for me...
          1. Don't try to set up an output argument in Xbasic. The args.set isn't needed and the @value syntax doesn't work in Xbasic.

2. MySQL will hang on to the @value after the stored procedure closes, so it can be retrieved with a select statement...(that also means I need to be careful with my variable names as the number of stored procedures grows).

Again, thanks.
          Pat
          Pat Bremkamp
          MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Just tested, and it works great!

I hope I can return the favor some time.

I'm always amazed at what can be done with Alpha. In this case, the stored procedure is part of a process where you click a button on the "Job" grid and it creates an invoice and invoice line, saves it as a pdf in a directory on the server, creates an email, attaches the pdf and emails it, and creates a note in the job notes table ... all from one button press and all in about 10 seconds!

Pat
            Pat Bremkamp
            MindKicks Consulting

Comment

In my post I gave credit to the look of the code structure I was using to Bob Moore. I failed to mention Frank Bicknell as the key contributor to not only to the structure, but to the error messaging code as well.

One of the things that has helped to accelerate my understanding of Alpha Five is to see clear well written code. That kind of clarity takes a lot of time and effort to develop. Kudo's to all those that work to make the process of programming AlphaFive "cool". (Yea my 17 year old son is cringing.)

Pat - as for your previous comment - I feel the same.

Regards,

Michael Carroll

www.redrocksbluesky.com
              [email protected]
              435-275-5170

Comment

Far Out Michael. Thanks for taking the time to do this.
                -Steve
                sigpic

Comment

I'm a little late to the party here relative to Pat's question, but here is what I do to return values from a stored procedure.

Mysql stored procedure example:
                  insert into foo (id,invoice_nbr) values (null,passed_in_invoice);
                  set @last_id=(select last_insert_id());
                  -- @last_id now contains the value of id (auto increment field) from last insert

select invoice_nbr as value_to_alpha from foo where id=@last_key;

Alpha code:
                  sql_exp="call mysql_stored_proc (:invoice_number)"
                  if .not. cn.execute(sql_exp,args)
                  if left(cn.CallResult.text,12)="Database API"
                  cn.close()
                  end
                  end if
                  end if
                  rs=cn.ResultSet
                  rs.data("value_to_alpha") 'here is the value returned by the stored procedure

In short, all you need to do is have a SELECT statement at the end of your sql stored procedure and the results of it will be available in the connection resultset after the stored procedure runs.

Comment

Thanks, Scott. I'll be using that.

I did notice something you are doing that I haven't been doing. In your insert, it looks like you are specifically listing the autoincrement field and setting it to a value of null.

I have been not including autoincrement fields in the list of fields, and that hasn't bitten me yet, but should I be doing what you are doing?

Pat
                    Pat Bremkamp
                    MindKicks Consulting

Comment

It is normal to NOT include the autoincrement field in the select list, and let MySQL just insert the next value for you.

I believe in MS SQL Server, you can't put the autoincrement field in the insert clause, though I may not remember that properly.

Alan

Comment

Ezslim,

I like this way much better than what I am doing. It is much simpler.

However, I cannot get it to work. I get it to work from the terminal, but not in A5. Can you take a look and see what I missed?

Here is the stored procedure with the SELECT statement:

Code:
                        DELIMITER $$
                        CREATE PROCEDURE `count_names_bystate`( 
                        IN vstate VARCHAR(2), 
                        OUT vcount INT)
                        BEGIN 
                        SELECT count(first) 
                        INTO vcount 
                        FROM mytable 
                        WHERE state = vstate; 
                        SELECT @vcount as count;
                        END
                        $$
                        Here is the results from the terminal:

Code:
                        [FONT="Courier New"]mysql> call count_names_bystate("ut",@vcount);
                        +-------+
                        | count |
                        +-------+
                        |     5 |
                        +-------+
                        1 row in set (0.00 sec)[/FONT]
                        Here is my a5w page code:
                        Code:
                        <%a5
                        dim vMsg as c = ""

dim ok as l
                        		dim js as c = ""
                        		dim vstate as c

dim lcErrorMsg as c
                        		dim lcErrorMsgNo as c

args.add("vstate","ut")

if ok then
                        				sqlStatement = <<%sql%
                        				%sql%
                        				if ok then
                        					rs = cn.ResultSet
                        				end if
                        			end if
                        		dim mytext as c
                        		mytext = rs.data("Count")
                        		cn.close()

vMsg = mytext + " is the count" 'put the count of the records here
                        %>

</head>
                        <body bgColor=#ffffff><%a5 ?"What is the count?: " + vMsg %> 
                        <br></body></html>
                        The code in the page returns nothing. Hmmm...

Much thanks in advance,

Michael Carroll

www.redrocksbluesky.com
                        [email protected]
                        435-275-5170

Originally posted by Ezslim View Post
                        I'm a little late to the party here relative to Pat's question, but here is what I do to return values from a stored procedure.

Mysql stored procedure example:
                        insert into foo (id,invoice_nbr) values (null,passed_in_invoice);
                        set @last_id=(select last_insert_id());
                        -- @last_id now contains the value of id (auto increment field) from last insert

select invoice_nbr as value_to_alpha from foo where id=@last_key;

Alpha code:
                        sql_exp="call mysql_stored_proc (:invoice_number)"
                        cn.close()
                        end
                        end if
                        end if
                        rs=cn.ResultSet
                        rs.data("value_to_alpha") 'here is the value returned by the stored procedure

In short, all you need to do is have a SELECT statement at the end of your sql stored procedure and the results of it will be available in the connection resultset after the stored procedure runs.

Comment

Michael,

I should let John speak for himself, but I think you want to do it slightly differently

Try
                          SET @vcount = vcount

Then, since the @ variable is the one that persists beyond the end of the stored procedure, then after the stored procedure is complete, do
                          SELECT @vcount as whatever...

Pat
                          Pat Bremkamp
                          MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Michael,
                            If I was building the stored procedure I would do it like this:

CREATE PROCEDURE `count_names_bystate`(IN vstate VARCHAR(2))
                            BEGIN
                            SELECT COUNT(FIRST) AS vcount FROM mytable WHERE state=vstate;
                            END$$

My Alpha code would be this to get the value:

sql_exp="call count_names_bystate (:the_state)"
                            cn.close()
                            end
                            end if
                            end if
                            rs=cn.ResultSet
                            dim mytext as C
                            mytext = rs.data("vcount") 'here is the value returned by the stored procedure

Comment

By the way, please help the forum newbie and explain how to put my "code" in a code box so it retains the indentation. :-)

I hate it when my code is not indented.

Comment

Working...
                              X