Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Arguments with multiple values

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arguments with multiple values

Hi

I have a Tabbed UI that opens up a grid that is to be filtered based on a session variable. The session variable contains one or more organization names. It sounds simple enough.

In the Tabbed UI properties, for the link to open the grid (withing the tabbed UI) I placed a base filter based on an argument org = :org2. I verified that the session variable is working with "? session.org" within the HTML of the Home Page HTML source. Still sounds good.

However, the grid does not filter. I also tried crlf_to_comma(session.org)to make it deliminated. still did not work.

I tried a work-a-round using JS in the search part, but when search is cleared, a null value in the organization field does not affect the other search fields from being seen, so ALL records can be searched.

Can multiple values be used in an argument, am I missing something?

Thank you for reading this.
    Last edited by koga101; 01-30-2011, 05:49 AM.

Re: Arguments with multiple values

Chris,
    How did you create a multivalue session variable?
    Are you filtering on say Id than state, than city, ect.. ?
    Tks

Comment

Chris,

If I read you right, you are creating a filter that resolves to

org=org1, org2, org3

That, of course, won't work.

You need to get the argument to read

org=org1 .or. org=org2 .or. org=org3

or use
      org = inlist(org1, org2,org3)

Pat
      Pat Bremkamp
      MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Thank you both for responses.

The data for session.org is created from data in a table that has a userID and organization name. Session.__protected__ulink is then used to pull a list of organizations that the user can view in a search component auto-suggest field, filter the grid component and control which organization the user can enter records for.

Thank you for the inlist()function idea. I will try that out.

Comment

Originally posted by koga101 View Post
          Thank you both for responses.

The data for session.org is created from data in a table that has a userID and organization name. Session.__protected__ulink is then used to pull a list of organizations that the user can view in a search component auto-suggest field, filter the grid component and control which organization the user can enter records for.

Thank you for the inlist()function idea. I will try that out.
          The complete workout incl. example grids based on arguments and session.org for RC, Vendor and Consumer is in your mailbox, cheers!

Comment

Eric,
            Any chance you could send that my way as well?
            Tks
            Bob

Comment

It is not resolved yet...but will do

Comment

Neither the explicit variable tabbed_org which was subsequently renamed as an argument :org02, nor inlist(), nor inlist2() worked out.

I also attempted to filter using function/variable IS_ONE_Of(Org,:org02)because an organizations' name can be multiple words. None of these functions worked to limit the users access to records. When 'search refresh' was done and 'search' button was clicked; all records in the system were shown. I attempted to hide search fields with JavaScript but 'Search Refresh' affects JS to where all records are shown even if show'hide is != "". thus my work-a-round can't be used.

Where Tabbed UI properties --> Arguments = org02 = tabbed_org(session variable) ... tabbed_org is created in the tabbed_UI HTML and is made visible with "? tabbed_org" in the home page of the tabbed_UI; thus proving that it exists.

My grid has a search component which only worked as an Edit-Combo list when I used a different session variable; session.org. This variable is not comma deliminated. I mention this, because it could be a variable in how the grid behaves.

I know I am missing a subtle, yet key concept here. But what is it?
                Last edited by koga101; 02-01-2011, 02:26 AM.

Comment

I solved the problem. I used the ever faithful __protected__ulink. Then rather on relying on finding the correct Xbasic function, I wrote a sql query that contains ulink. The tabbed_UI filters the grid with an argument based on ulink and it works. The dropdown search fields use a session variable that matched the results of the sql query.

I do believe that filtering grids in a tabbed UI would be more efficiently managed with a session variable. Also, linking a grid to a record in a row can be broken so it is not secure and is most likely a bug. I was able to search and see records that were unrelated to the parent record.

The nice thing about Alpha Five is that you can find solutions in different ways.
                  Last edited by koga101; 02-02-2011, 04:28 PM.

Comment

I solved the problem. I used the ever faithful __protected__ulink. Then rather on relying on finding the correct Xbasic function, I wrote a sql query that contains ulink. The tabbed_UI filters the grid with an argument based on ulink and it works. The dropdown search fields use a session variable that matched the results of the sql query.

I do believe that filtering grids in a tabbed UI would be more efficiently managed with a session variable. Also, linking a grid to a record in a row can be broken so it is not secure and is most likely a bug. I was able to search and see records that were unrelated to the parent record.

The nice thing about Alpha Five is that you can find solutions in different ways.

i am not clear what you think is a bug, but i am quite certain that there are no bugs with searching in grids as it pertains to tabbed uis. if you think that there is a bug, you will need to be explicit.

also, in your previous posting you talk about trying to use the inlist() or inlist2() or is_one_of() function. i am not sure in what context you were trying to use these functions, but they are xbasic functions, not sql functions, so they can have not role at all in filtering a grid that is based on a sql database.

Comment

i am not clear what you think is a bug, but i am quite certain that there are no bugs with searching in grids as it pertains to tabbed uis. if you think that there is a bug, you will need to be explicit.

also, in your previous posting you talk about trying to use the inlist() or inlist2() or is_one_of() function. i am not sure in what context you were trying to use these functions, but they are xbasic functions, not sql functions, so they can have not role at all in filtering a grid that is based on a sql database.

Comment

These ones work at least in mysql

is in list

is not in list
                        Chad Brown

Comment

I apologize, but had attempted this in my first comment. I think it would have been a good medical ID note. I am extremely open to a better way to do so.

I tried to research this the best I could (several hours) and talked to two other experienced alpha developers. All I could find in the Wiki was the link below, which didn't really address what I am trying to do.

http://wiki.alphasoftware.com/SQL+Arguments+Object

I am compulsive about doing things the correct way. If there is a session variable, that contains multiple discrete data points (hospital names that are related to session.__protected__ulink) that is captured in a variable called session.org (without being deliminated)that presents with ? session.org as "a b c", and we decide to name the tabbed ui argument "foo", what is proper form for the session variable i.e "function(Foo,:your sql syntax)." This would then be used to filter a grid via a hyperlink in the tabbed ui on the left nav.

Was this helpful?

Comment

Working...
                          X