Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

A new, powerful Browse component?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new, powerful Browse component?

What is the interest level for a sort of "Super Browse" component providing new features and functions not available with the standard browse?

I have been working on a desktop project, increasingly aware of the need for a more powerful and flexible browse control. Yeah, I can get everything done with the existing browse - but it could sure be better, and far more user-friendly, with an improved component.

While the web grid feature pack is nice, it's just not giving me the control or functionality I would like. An enhanced browse control seems the only answer.

So, I'm thinking about building one. And, I figure, if it will benefit me, are there others who may benefit, too? Is there a market for such an animal?

I've attached a few examples of potential features and functions. What would you like to see that is not included here?

"Grouping" - an automatic grouping by selected field
    "Receivables" - an example of variable cell size and individual cell formatting; automatic spreadsheet-like functions on any selected group of cells
    "Cards" - the ol' card-type display for contacts
    "VariableFonts" - again, control over individual cells
    "SortOnColumns" - this is sort of like the web grid, able to type into the empty sort box on each column header.

I haven't created a sample yet, but some sort of parent/child (row expander) sort of thing is probably necessary for my immediate project.

Any thoughts?

Re: A new, powerful Browse component?

Why reinvent the wheel?

All this functionality is currently available in Exontrol's activeX control called ExGrid.

I am using it with an embedded hierarchy with drag and drop reorganization with hierarchical information (parent record ID is inserted in child record). This functionality is often demanded in real world applications dealing with scheduling, time, organization charts, or outlining.

You are right, Alpha is not likely to have the time or resources to do this. I have nearly replicated (with some help) the functionality of ECCO that does everything you describe.

I started this project in A5V10, but frustrated with the non-standard peculiartities of XBasic, and not wishing to spend five years on this project, left A5 and returned to MS Access 2010 for my desktop application. Alpha was simply too slow in correcting numerous design bugs I previously identified on this forum that I have not experienced in Access 2010.

Converting my VBA code into XBasic code most probably could be done only by Selwyn himself.

Bob McGaffic
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last edited by rmcgaffic; 02-04-2011, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rmcgaffic View Post
      All this functionality is currently available in Exontrol's activeX control called ExGrid.
      Robert,

i'd like to confirm if ExGrid can be used into alphafive forms?
      where can i acquire it?

thanks
      Francis

Comment

I think what you are trying to do is awesome.
        I do my own custom browsers and have been doing them for quite some time.. but my endeavors are tempered by 1-lack of time and 2-By the time I finish doing something, I find that alpha either incorporated in a new version or about to do so. For instance, I did Accordion menu way back when, I think it was v6 or something like that. I believe v10 has Accordion menus from what I understand. I worked with HTML way back when, only to find out and as I expected, alpha is putting a lot of emphasis on HTML. Few reasons why I still work with v8 because of whatever turbo boasters I added to it is not lacking much of what v10 has.

I think if you have the time and stamina to finish what you started it will be a great add on to alpha, assuming alpha does not beat you to the bunch.

Robert's suggestion for an activex is fine, but there is a big difference between a biological mother and a surrogate mother!

Comment

Francis,

Yes, ExGrid can be used with Alpha Five desktop forms. I spent a month or so learning its capabilities. It is an extremely powerful control. Do not let my decision to revert back to MS Access deter you from exploring its capabilities further with A5.

If you search this forum, you may see several of my earlier posts where I was struggling with translating VB code into XBasic, which include screen prints and jing videos. Many forum members helped me along the way, including Selwyn when I hit a brick wall and encountered what looked like bugs. They were not bugs, but simply undocumented or poorly documented features or pecularities of XBasic.

I am currently working on the behavior of siblings and if you wish, I will post a video to the form or email you when I get finished with it.

I wanted to create a user defined hierarchical menu for my system and allow the use to add or change it using drag and drop.
          In otherwise allow the user to "personalize" and extend my application with his own forms and reports.

With help, I have suceeded.

Here's an example: if your menu looks something like this (excuse the - but its the only way to indent in this message)

Main menu
          --General ledger
          ----Master records
          ----Actual postings
          ----Reports
          --Accounts receivable
          ----Master records
          ----Actual postings
          ----Reports

The user goes into change method on the application form (NOT Access Design Mode which would let them tinker with my code),
          he does the following

Places the cursor on Reports under General ledger
          Hits [Enter] to create a new line
          Enters in the first column of the grid: Transaction listing
          Enters in the second column of the grid: rptTransaction
          [Save].

Then he selects the node accounts receivable and moves it and all of its children records under Main menu using drag and drop to obtain the following result:

Main menu
          --Accounts receivable
          ----Master records
          ----Actual postings
          ----Reports
          --General ledger
          ----Master records
          ----Actual postings
          ----Reports
          ------Transaction listing

Of course I can click on any superior node and collapse the subordinate nodes.

Simple, clean, no code or tables for the user to touch -- maybe A5 V15 will give you similar capabilities as a developer, that I can give my user today.

The user then goes back into display mode on the application form then which hides the second column containing the form, query, or report name. Double click on Transaction list opens the report called Transaction listing.

This is what I spent three years fiddling with Alpha to accomplish to no avail, not because Alpha is not capable of doing this, but requires Selwyn level skills to do so.

But wait there's more! Or can your grid do this?

My nodes have the usual icons, open and close arrows or folders, etc. But my nodes are dynamically numbered, which is important for project and task planning and outlining applications.

I can do all of these:

1. Parent 1
          --1. Child A
          --2. Child B
          ----1. Grandchild B1
          --3. Child C
          2. Parent 2
          --1. Child D
          --2. Child E

or

A. Parent 1
          --1. Child A
          --2. Child B
          ----a. Grandchild B1
          B. Parent 2

or

1. Parent 1
          --1.1 Child A
          --1.2 Child B
          ----1.2.1 Grandchild B1
          2. Parent 2

For me, this kind of functionality is essential for commercially competitive software.

Bob McGaffic
          Pittsburgh, PA
          Last edited by rmcgaffic; 02-05-2011, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X