Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Greyed out email in runtime version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greyed out email in runtime version

I have created some standard emails which are stored in the Alpha5 library. I have created a profile in the name of the person who will be operating the run time version.

The email facility works fine on my pc but when I unzip the files on the runtime pc the email send button and message area is greyed out. Can anyone tell me were I'm going wrong. Thanks.

Re: Greyed out email in runtime version

My send button remains greyed out in the development version until I enter an email address. Does your process fill in the To area?
    There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Stan,

Even when I type in an email address the send button and message area stay greyed out. I have tried re installing the program and application files but still no joy.
      Last edited by Judith; 02-24-2011, 05:18 AM.

Comment

I tend to use the host/default e-mail client and have a button which triggers the event, populating e-mail addresses from a table.
        My current app is running under Run Time.
        Suggest you check the settings.

View/Settings/E-mail. You should be able to see these in the RT version.
        See our Hybrid Option here;
        https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
        You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Hi Ted,

I have installed the application on another PC and the email works fine so I think it must be something to do with the other email programs running on the PC. Each email has an individual attachment so we can't just run a merge with an email client unfortunately.

Regards

Judith

Comment

Judith, another app of mine Project Tracker, tracks things that should have happened, and if they haven't you can fire of an e-mail which contains the specific content which has been saved in a memo field.

The app has a selectable list of people on the project, allocated the specified tasks, with deadlines and all that stuff.

It works on all PC's I've come across, including the ECC somewhat arcane secure mail servers.

Comment

Ted,
              I tend to use the host/default e-mail client
              Am curious, what do you do when a client then has gmail or another web based client that is not or has not been set up as a Pop3 email?
              Mike

Comment

Got me!
                I haven't tried those yet.
                All pop3 accounts so far, however I presume that web clients can be set up as pop3?

Now I'm going to have to try going through my Virgin Webmail account without using Outlook/Express/Windows Live Mail!

Good job it's raining.

Comment

Originally posted by Judith View Post
                  Hi Ted,

I have installed the application on another PC and the email works fine so I think it must be something to do with the other email programs running on the PC. Each email has an individual attachment so we can't just run a merge with an email client unfortunately.

Regards

Judith
                  Hi Judith. Here's a last resort -- its not regarding emails, but there may be some connection. http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=81048

Diana

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC View Post
                    Ted,
                    Am curious, what do you do when a client then has gmail or another web based client that is not or has not been set up as a Pop3 email?
                    Had a quick look at this again Mike. While I'm sure that it is doable with an API or add in macro, the clients I work with all have a formal approach to using Outlook as their one and only BUSINESS mail and contact facility. It also allows a monitor and recording feature a bit like "Big Brother".

As I work mainly with UK Gvmt. Depts. I can't see this changing soon.

Do companies use corporate webmail direct in the US?

I can still get at mine from any PC with an internet connection but am not too keen on the data being held on someone else's servers.

In my other day job looking after data quality and security, I've seen too many hacks, (and worked with a few really good hackers at one international company).

Comment

Still having problems with the email message area and send button being greyed out on the runtime version of Alpha Five, it appears to be quite random, email feature works on some runtime computers but not on others.

I have attached a screen print hoping that someone may spot the flaw in this.

Thank you.

Jude

Comment

Judith, I think I've narrowed this down a bit.
                        I've got V10.5 running pretty sweetly with Win7 64 using the Alpha Client. Send and Recieve working well.

Back to V9. The Send button is greyed out until the field recognises "something" and then it activates.

example.consulting@vir does NOT activate the Send, but
                        example.consulting@virg does. The only difference is the g.

Have you fiddled with the addresses?

Comment

Originally posted by Judith View Post
                          Still having problems with the email message area and send button being greyed out on the runtime version of Alpha Five, it appears to be quite random, email feature works on some runtime computers but not on others.

I have attached a screen print hoping that someone may spot the flaw in this.

Thank you.

Jude
                          Been digging some more Jude. There appears to be some form of algorythm/check looking for a pattern. Not sure why, as there will be a mailout error if the tagret is incorrect. My R/t works in the same way as the dev version.
                          It needs to find a @ [ampersand] and a . [full stop] between the name.com/net/org etc.

In my previous example, [email protected] triggers the Send button.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your help Ted but still no joy. I send a test through using the test button on the email profile window and the test comes through fine.
                            BUT I still can't send an email using the email features in Alpha5 on the runtime computer. The message area is greyed out and so is the send button even after entering the email address. It's a mystery

Comment

Jude,
                              This is getting silly now.
                              Back to basics.
                              Have the Runtime PC's which fail got exactly the same mail configuration? Do the ones which work have the same config?
                              Are you using Active Directory?
                              Are the PC's able to mailout in any event?
                              Do the PC's share a name?
                              If you replicate the information on a working mailout config. and the button is still greyed out I suggests the problem is on the PC and its setup.
                              I presume you have reinstalled the RT?
                              I can't remember whether you are using the Alpha Client or Default. Try the other one.

Comment

Working...
                              X