Alpha Video Training

Thread: MySQL/Lookup Issue with New Build

Real Name
    Norman K

Default MySQL/Lookup Issue with New Build

OK, I can't get beyond an issue that has arisen since I've updated to the latest Version 10.5, Build 4040 (2/19). I am using tables in a MySQL database.

In particular, and to narrow things down, I have built a test project that contains just two web grids. One, the "Lookup Grid", is a simple updateable grid using an AlphaDAO connection string and is connected to the lookup table. The other (the "Master Grid") is an updateable SQL grid with a Detail part, connected to the master table. In the Detail part of this grid I have a field with Lookup checked. The lookup uses the "Lookup Grid" component to fill in a field in the Master Grid. All standard stuff. I have not specified "Restrict Values" for the Lookup and everything works fine. However, if I edit the Master Grid and specify "Restrict Values" for that Lookup and then try to save the grid I get an error message to the effect that a function is not recognized on line 407 (I posted the actual dialog in the "New Patch" thread). If I uncheck "Restrict Values" the grid saves without error.

I duplicated this setup substituting DBF tables for the MySQL tables and I don't get this error.

I am willing to admit that this is all my problem but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, especially since everything was working fine before I upgraded to this Build.

Is anyone using MySQL in a web project with the new build AND using Lookups with "Restrict Values"? If so, are there any problems?

Any help would be much appreciated.

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Default Re: MySQL/Lookup Issue with New Build

Hi Norman,

Don't be too quick to accept blame for an issue that's been a problem. I believe there are still some problems with the lookup as well as other areas.

One way to handle it is to redo the item which has the problem and see if it works. If so, perhaps the patch found errors that A5 previously overlooked. If not, I suspect the patch created another opportunity for the staff at Alpha.
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Quote Originally Posted by nlk10010 View Post
    However, if I edit the Master Grid and specify "Restrict Values" for that Lookup and then try to save the grid I get an error message to the effect that a function is not recognized on line 407 (I posted the actual dialog in the "New Patch" thread). If I uncheck "Restrict Values" the grid saves without error.
    Ahhhh yes, the dreaded error 407. I get this off and on as well, even made a couple of posts seeking an answer. Since no solid answer resulted, my unofficial reason for this type of error message is simply that Alpha is saying: "Help, I'm confused and don't now what to do. You're on your own. Good Luck, chap!!" :D
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Real Name
    Norman K

Quote Originally Posted by forskare View Post
    Hi Norman,

Don't be too quick to accept blame for an issue that's been a problem. I believe there are still some problems with the lookup as well as other areas.

One way to handle it is to redo the item which has the problem and see if it works. If so, perhaps the patch found errors that A5 previously overlooked. If not, I suspect the patch created another opportunity for the staff at Alpha.
    Yea, well, as I say, if I untick "Restrict Values" it's fine, if I go back and tick it no go. Same behavior with a brand new, barebones project, as long as it's based on AlphaDAO/MySQL. Never had this error before the new Build.

I COULD just revert but I don't see long term prospects for my web app (which is an extension of a Delphi desktop program) if I'm going to run into unresolved issues.

Anyway, appreciate the commiseration.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Frank Bicknell

Quote Originally Posted by nlk10010 View Post
    Yea, well, as I say, if I untick "Restrict Values" it's fine, if I go back and tick it no go. Same behavior with a brand new, barebones project, as long as it's based on AlphaDAO/MySQL. Never had this error before the new Build.
    What is "restrict values"? I don't see that on any of my lookup's definitions.

Real Name
    Norman K

Quote Originally Posted by frankbicknell View Post
    What is "restrict values"? I don't see that on any of my lookup's definitions.
    Frank: go into the Detail part of a web grid (read only grid, updateable detail). Select a field (Textbox field). In the LOOKUP section on the right tick the Lookup box, then click Lookup Definition. In the Lookup Behavior section there's an option reading "Restrict Values Allowed". That's the one.

Are you sure you don't have it?
    Last edited by nlk10010; 02-24-2011 at 11:20 AM.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Frank Bicknell

No, I don't see that option. Can you show me a picture?

Real Name
    Norman K

No, I don't see that option. Can you show me a picture?
    Sure. It's in the "Lookup Behavior" section, 3rd option from the bottom (see attached).

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Frank Bicknell

I see now. I have never used the grid type lookup. I will try it tomorrow and see if I get the same error.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Frank Bicknell

Yes I get the same error when I replicate the process.
    Attachment 27428
    It is obviously a bug, have you reported it?

Real Name
    Norman K

Yes I get the same error when I replicate the process.
    Attachment 27428
    It is obviously a bug, have you reported it?
    That's not the exact error message I'm getting now, although I DID get it at the beginning. I get the same first part but the last line on mine is "Function not recognized". I must have graduated. :)

I have not reported it, however. I'm relatively new here, is there info on these boards or on this site as to how to do that?

Thanks for taking the time to try it out and post the results.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Frank Bicknell

I did get the 'Function not recognized' error when trying to preview the grid. The error I included in the atttachment occurs when trying to save.

Under help, send a bug report. Be very specific in describing what you are doing and what the results are.

ps.. If your code gets called immature or naive don't fret it.

Real Name
    Norman K

Under help, send a bug report. Be very specific in describing what you are doing and what the results are.

Thanks, don't worry, I always consider the source. :)

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

My code has been called a lot worse things than that!