Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Creating Embedded Xdialog for Check Box-List Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating Embedded Xdialog for Check Box-List Box

I have been trying to create Embedded Xdialogs for Desktop Application to use with a Check Box-List Box but couldn't make it possible. I went through the Alpha Five instructions for creating an Xdialog Box for Check Box-List Box and it runs perfectly with my tables, but there isn't any for embedded xdialogs. Sorry, am new to Alpha Five and am running version 10.5.

Actually, I have two columns on a table (Specialties), named "dept_name" and "specialty_name". I want to create a Check Box-List Box for both columns, and the "specialty_name" Check Box-List Box value will be selected based on what is checked on "dept_name" Check Box-List Box. And when the form is saved, the checked values will be saved too. I've been trying to find a work-around way for it so the xdialog is embedded on a form, but couldn't.

Also, is it possible to create a "Check All" button for an option to select all values?

I would be grateful for any assistance. I attached a file so you see what I meant.

AaronHaul.

Re: Creating Embedded Xdialog for Check Box-List Box

Why embedded xdialog? Unless you want the result not to be bound to a specific field, have you looked at the properties to a field. See pic attached.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Regards
    Mark Pearson
    [email protected]
    Youtube channel
    Website

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

I do not know if Alpha Five Xdialog Check Box-List Box bound to a specific field? But if it does, I want it be just as it is with Xdialogs for Check Box-List Box, but only that it should be embedded in a form. The other difference is that instead of using the "OK" and "Cancel" control to save and unsave datae, a form button "Save" event should be used instead to save or to cancel.

I hope you understand. Thanks for your effort.

AaronHaul

Comment

There is an xdialog supercontrol you can use in the toolbox available when in design mode that will embed an xdialog on a form....and a "Check All" or SelectAll button can be done as well but have to use xbasic/xdialog to do so (a really good feature request am thinking for the Wish List forum!).
        Mike

Comment

MikeC, thanks for the info. Really really, it'll be a great and superb improvements for Alpha Five to add controls that can be implemented from the Xdialog to Embedded Xdialog Supercontrols, like the Multi select controls or check list-box controls. It'll really ease developments and place Alpha Five in a 10x ahead of other development environments.

I still don't know how to make the Xdialog Check-List Box work with Embedded Xdialog.

Any Ideas or some codes for it? It'll really be appreciated.

AaronHaul.

Comment

Hi Aaron,
            I wondering if the attached example is what you are looking for. It is constructed with a modeless dialog, which can mimick being an embedded object. See if that might work.
            Last edited by Mike Wilson; 03-03-2011, 04:25 PM.
            Mike W

Comment

Aaron,

Here is a small project I have almost finished which uses a set-based form.
              The red arrow points to an embedded xdialog with checkboxes that is from an unrelated table.

If something like this is what you want, I will see about creating a short video to try and show the basics of it......
              Mike

Comment

Aron

i think the attached video of the Xdialog has the functions you are looking for.

so the answer is yes it can be done,

Daniel Weiss

Xdialog
                Daniel Weiss
                EZ Link Software

Comment

But were all those embedded on a form?
                  -----------------------------------------------
                  Regards
                  Mark Pearson
                  [email protected]
                  Youtube channel
                  Website

Comment

I don't know about Daniel's, but the one image I showed is....and has/could have the same functionality I believe that Daniel shows with 2 or more.
                    Mike

Comment

Yes Daniel, you do have everything I was tryna explain in trying to do. The video you provided gives details of everything. So how can I make that possible? How can I create check boxes just like the one you explained in the video?

Aaron.

Comment

Did we ever get an answer on how to do this or was the video just a tease?

Jeff

Comment

I was not trying to tease anybody, I probably got busy after I replied my answer, and forgot about the whole thing, it just that your reply sent me an email now,

you can contact me if you need some help on creating X dialogs

Daniel Weiss
                          Daniel Weiss
                          EZ Link Software

Comment

No sweat. :-)

I am new to A5 (and databases in general), was rying to figure out how to do this. I tried to do it by copying the code from a regular xdialog into the embedded xdiaolg control but that didn't work. Just beginning to learn coding, just can't figure this out yet.

Jeff
                            Last edited by anima; 08-23-2011, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Well Jeff,
                              Starting with xdialog is pretty much jumping in at the deep end first. More power to you!
                              Mike W

Comment

Working...
                              X