Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Summarizing Children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summarizing Children

Theory Question.

I am trying to figure a way to accomplish this.

The Dream:
    One record shows an aircraft departure time date.

Create a one to many link to have multiple services like fuel, rental cars, hotel reservations be the children.

I would like to have an icon for each of these and display them in a browse field when looking at the departure record so one can see in a glance all the services attached to that departure.

It would really be great to change the icon whether or not a status flag in the child record has been checked to easily see if the task was completed.

Other than showing each child record, I was trying to make an easy summary.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Re: Summarizing Children

Hi John,
    What exactly would you like to see in this summary - can you produce it on a spreadsheet or something else you can show us?
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

In essence something like what is depicted. The challenge is there can be an unlimited number of services for each arrival and departure so I did not want to hard code a spot for each in the parent record.

I would like a way to vizualize instantly whether all of the items have been complete. It does not have to be icons, it could be words, but color or something to show easily that the item is not complete without having to click on each parent record to see the detail. I suppose I could have just one flag on the parent to tell if any of the items were not completed, but just thought it is a challenge or if anyone else has an idea.

Comment

I am trying to think in terms of first things first. You mentioned that you want to keep a schedule up of all the day's activities (arrivals and departures) that would be refreshed as reservations were added. With that list you can sort the browse by time or reservation number by clicking on a column title. From this form you can add new reservations. Then you want to enter services related to either an arrival or a departure and this you can do by zooming to the reservation from the schedule to add them. Am I even close yet? Since your services are also related by type A or D to the RES_DETAIL, you can group them accordingly to display like you showed. What that would entail is an auto increment field that assigns a unique ID to each RES_DETAIL arrival or departure so these services can be linked by that key field.

The set for the Schedule would be:
        Code:
        DUMMY
        ===>RES_DETAILS [KEY: DATE]
            |--->RESERVATIONS [KEY: RES_NO]
                 |--->TAILNUM
        Then the set for the services would be:

Code:
        RESERVATIONS
        --->TAILNUM [KEY: TAILNUM]
        ===>RES_DETAILS [KEY: RES_NO]
            |===>A_SERVICES [KEY: TYPE+RES_ID]
            |===>D_SERVICES [KEY: TYPE+RES_ID
        Which if you can get the alias to work, could also be the same table.
        Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Edit: Well the theory is a good one - if it worked! ;) What happens with using an alias of the same table is that the 2nd instance errs as being open when you try to create the form - or even display the default. An alternative would be to add the RES_NO to the services table and link it to the parent, then 2 filtered browses could display the related data. Otherwise linking to RES_DETAIL will only show the browse related to the detail item selected and the other will appear blank. I'm still working on it...Using a link of 1=1 might work if you can filter the records in services to only show the records related to res_detail.

Edit: Nope ain't gonna work. The alias continues to err as an open table. Back to the help...
          Last edited by MoGrace; 03-12-2011, 01:50 AM.
          Robin

Comment

Ok, I got the alias to work so it would show two browses on the form using one table twice. The key was to filter the form for each linked alias - not the tables defined in the set. When the form is maximized the two browses show more records. If these are repeat customers (very likely), it might be good to define a 'rule' table for each customer's preferences so you can load the services & fees they usually require automatically. Then you can have different charges for similar default items based on each customer - as well as default notes for those services that are particular to each.
            Robin

Comment

Robin,

This is the idea, looks exactly where I want to go with it. The kicker is can you summarize on the schedule view the icons or text or something in say a calculated field?

What I mean is, I would like to look at the schedule/status view, not the detail, and be able to see what services have been selected for that arrival/departure. The real idea is to have some way to indicate whether that item has been completed or not; so in a glance, one can look at the status board and see clearly if we were ready for all the arrivals without having to drill down on each item. I have been racking my brain for a way to do this. I did something like this in a report once, but never in a browse.

Thank you so much for your help so far.

Comment

Working...
              X