Alpha Video Training

Thread: Insert Merge Fields in Detail View - lose row labels? Is this normal?

Real Name
    Chet Sapino

Default Insert Merge Fields in Detail View - lose row labels? Is this normal?

RE: Detail View in Grid | Fields

If you insert a Merge Field Begin and a Merge Field End to put several fields in a single row in a Detail View, e.g.,

City State Zip rather than,

City
    State
    Zip

you lose the row labels. Why?

Row Properties | Row Label Position presumably allows you to place the row label Left, Right, Above, or Below.

However this property is inoperable for merge fields. You should be able to put the label anywhere you please by select the Position.

I would like the row label above each field aligned with the Left edge of the field.

Is this normal behavior or is it a bug?

TIA
    Regards,
    Chet Sapino
    President,
    SAPINO Enterprises
    6451 Pheasant Rd
    East Syracuse, NY 13057

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Default Re: Insert Merge Fields in Detail View - lose row labels? Is this normal?

It's normal. Maybe you really want to use a freeform region?

"Certified" Alphaholic kingcarol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carol King

Default Re: Insert Merge Fields in Detail View - lose row labels? Is this normal?

I was wrestling with the same thing yesterday. Have a form grid for entering Purchase Order data but wanted the fields that calculate the total for the PO to be in one line. Fields are UnitMeas, Qty, UnitPrice, then a TotalPO that is equal to Qty X UnitPrice

When merging I was disappointed that labels were not above these fields, too. So I was just getting ready this morning to use the freeform. My head is thinking I'll have to enter the titles with a number of repeated spaces between them that correlate to size of fields less the number of characters in each title (a bunch &nbsp; 's ???????), then break the line with <br> and then include the fields. Is there an easier way than using all the nbsp's ? Some sort of tab concept?
    Carol King
    Developer of Custom Homebuilders' Solutions (CHS)
    http://www.CHSBuilderSoftware.com

Real Name
    Stephen Pilon

Carol,

How about something like this:

Code:
    <table>
        <tr>
           <td>Units</td>
           <td>Quantity</td>
           <td>Unit Price</td>
           <td>Total</td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
           <td>{unitfield}</td>
           <td>{quantityfield}</td>
           <td>{unitpricefield}</td>
           <td>{totalfield}</td>
        </tr>
    </table>
    Stephen Pilon
    Associate Librarian
    Christendom College

Real Name
    Jeff

Another way around this without using freeform regions is, in your detail view properties, set the 'Number of "Layout" Columns' to the largest number of fields wide you want to use (for instance, 3 for city, state, and zip). Then, for all the fields you don't want together on the same line/row, set the field's 'column span' to the same number you set in the layout columns (3). You'd still need to set your field's 'row label position' to above.

Of course, if you want all of the other fields in your detail view to be displayed on a single row except the city, state, and zip, then the freeform region is probably faster and easier.

Real Name
    Carol King

Your freeform layout worked perfectly, Stephen! Thank you. I'm sure I'll be using that concept A LOT!
    Carol King

Real Name
    Carol King

OK, one more question. I like using the freeform layout to use a table to get the merged cells effect with labels above fields, but I'm not liking how much white space is added around the tables. I've tried unchecking row separator and guessing at putting zero padding in the freeform code, but am having no luck. See this screenshot:
    http://screencast.com/t/nBlkc2ufzi . I need to tighten up the space because I would like user to see the top of the linked content that I have below the grid (so they know it's there).

What do I add to the freeform code to get rid of that white space?
    Carol King

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Quote Originally Posted by kingcarol View Post
    ... but I'm not liking how much white space is added around the tables. I've tried unchecking row separator and guessing at putting zero padding in the freeform code, but am having no luck. S
    What do I add to the freeform code to get rid of that white space?
    Haven't tried this explicitly, but go to the field's "row label in line style/position/top" and try something like -0.2in (notice it is a negative value). Set mode to "relative".

Real Name
    Carol King

I just tried that on the first field that is included in the freeform table layout(Unit Measure) and it didn't seem to help, Peter, but thanks for the suggestion. The other fields in the freeform layout table are in Hide mode so they won't display twice and there is no Row Label inline style available for them.
    Carol King