Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Question about .a5w extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about .a5w extension

Has anyone used an Alpha extension other than .a5w? When I first started looking at moving to the web with Alpha, I went to Google and did a search on index.a5w or login.a5w and a few sites appeared.

Now, if you Google them, ALOT of sites come up. While this is good for ALPHA, I feel it leaves us, ALPHA Developers too exposed.

I know you can change the extension in the Application Server from ".a5w" to something else, but with 11 coming out soon, and frameworks being made available, I am afraid to do that fearing incompatabilities. I was thinking of using ".php" but with talk lately of Alpha going on top of IIS, that might be too much.

Am I worrying for nothing?

PS...I see very nice stuff on the web using www.Alphatogo.com framework out there. I will probably purchase it very soon for a major project I just picked up.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Barry Kucher
    http://www.411tech.org

Re: Question about .a5w extension

You would have to use a5w or the Alpha server would not know it had to process the page. Looking forward to having you as an AlphaToGo customer, trying to get the shopping cart built in as an available option, preconfigured to work with PayPal.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve:

On the server there is a setting asking for the extension of Alpha Pages. I thought it was changeable, but I haven't tried it.

Case in point, during the google search of index.a5w I found a commerce site using Alpha that had their index page set to index1.a5w When I went to just the domain I was presented with the directory listing of the site and I clicked on the GuidSecuritySettings file: a970ee9e2c3145508a111377a....... I changed the last few characters to protect them. It's that easy.

I don't think that is very safe, especially since they are a commerce site. I sent them an email telling them about the problem. Hope they don't think it's SPAM.

Since Alpha makes it SO EASY to create a database Website, this makes sites made by non programmers dangerous in my opinion.

I will be purchasing April 10th. It's too close to the end of my billing cycle to buy now. LOL. How about a coupon code??? Please...
      Barry Kucher

Comment

I just tried changing the default Alpha page from ".a5w" to ".php". While an HTML page displayed correctly with that extension, if it was an a5w page with an alpha control on it, it did not.

I think that option has been there since they first released the app server. Then what is it for? Anybody know?
        Barry Kucher

Comment

I found the site you referred to. I am guessing they have no fear of the information you sent them.

As far as security of the .a5w extension, I would guess it is no less secure than anything that with .htm, .html, .php, .asp ...
          Gregg
          https://paiza.io is a great site to test and share sql code

Comment

I found it too. You guys are correct that anything on the web, if put there by someone who doesn't understand the basics of web security, regardless of the technology, is asking for it. This one we are discussing (brides) even has a few DBF files exposed which I could open in Excel (as I mentioned on a different post just today). Fortunately the site appears to be a crap-draft and they obviously toggled ON directory browsing, which is defaulted to OFF when you start the WAS.
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

I think they are out of business anyway. I sent emails to webmaster, info, sales and support@brides????? and they all came back undeliverable.

Steve, did you notice how many sites use your framework? Impressive.
              Barry Kucher

Comment

Yes, in a search on index.a5w or login.a5w, on the first page I find my AlphaToGo site, two or three apps I built for clients, a few apps I did not build but use my Framework and my IADN website.

EDIT: I think there would be a lot more but most of the users forget to edit, or don't want to edit, their ROBOTS.TXT file in the document root. As delivered, the Framework's robots.txt file DENIES all indexing by legitimate search engines.
                Last edited by Steve Wood; 04-03-2011, 04:16 PM.
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by 411tech View Post
                  I just tried changing the default Alpha page from ".a5w" to ".php". While an HTML page displayed correctly with that extension, if it was an a5w page with an alpha control on it, it did not.

I think that option has been there since they first released the app server. Then what is it for? Anybody know?
                  I just tested this, admittedly very briefly, but it worked as designed for me with a basic A5W page and an A5W page with a grid. If the setting is changed to .php for example, any files with a .php extension will be interpreted by the server as an A5W page. Pages with a .a5w extension though will then NOT be treated as an A5W page.

If you can be more specific about how to reproduce this problem, we will investigate it for you.

Lenny Forziati
                  Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
                  Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Working...
                  X