Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Multi database setup with subscription db (login component + dynamic connection )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi database setup with subscription db (login component + dynamic connection )

We have 2 databases.

Lets call them

system_db
    client1_db

The client1_db will be replicated for each client.
    E.g
    client1_db
    client2_db
    client3_db

First page of website will ask for a company code:
    This company code will be used to check system_db for subscription information. If this is successful - a dynamic connection string is set (session.__protected__myconnection) where myconnection is defined as: DynamicConnection_myconnection. (Based on Alpha documentation) This connection will point to clientx_db - where x is the clients code.

Now - the issue im having is:
    Ive recreatead the Active Link fields - using the DynamicConnection_myconnection above - but I still cant log in.

On the login.a5w page - I manually set
    session.__protected__myconnection to a hardcoded connection string but when i try to login i get a 'login information incorrect'

What am I doing wrong?
    Maybe you guys will think of something I dont see.

ANyways - any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Scott Moniz - Computer Programmer/Analyst
    REA Inc.
    http://reainc.net
    (416)-533-3777
    [email protected]

REA INC offers consulting services, programming services, systems design, database design, third party payment gateway integration (CHASE, PAYPAL, AUTHORIZE.NET) and developer support.
    If you need custom code, or 1-to-1 mentoring in any facet of your database/web application design,
    contact us to discuss options.

Re: Multi database setup with subscription db (login component + dynamic connection )

SOLVED.

Solution: The 'publish security files' does not publish any web security dbfs. these need to be manually published or 'publish all files in project' or selected files and publish all security related active link table dbfs etc.
    REA Inc.
    (416)-533-3777
    [email protected]

REA INC offers consulting services, programming services, systems design, database design, third party payment gateway integration (CHASE, PAYPAL, AUTHORIZE.NET) and developer support.
    If you need custom code, or 1-to-1 mentoring in any facet of your database/web application design,

Comment

Re: Multi database setup with subscription db (login component + dynamic connection )

Things can never go smoothly.
      PUblishing this to production leaves me with 'Login Information Incorrect'.

I KNOW the password/username is correct - and this is driving me insane - we also have another application which is trying to use this same method (active link tables to sql based on a dynamic connection).

I am very close to scrapping alpha's login component and just writing my own - it would probably take less time this way. Does the a5ws_login_user set all the correct session vars?
      REA Inc.
      (416)-533-3777
      [email protected]

Comment

The a5ws_login_user is not logging the user in.
        What do I need to do to fix this?

This seems to be an issue of Alpha not knowing where to look for the login information!

I specified a DynamicConnection_x in my connections.
        I set the session.__protected__x variable to a GOOD connection string.
        I made active link tables for DynamicConnection_x's 4 security tables.

This works locally - but on the server - no go.
        I have restarted my server several times, I have published several times, I have placed the websecurity_ files in both the webroot and the data directory, I have copied my entire webroot and put it into production, I have tried to rewrite the login component, but the a5ws_login_user still fails. 'Login Information Incorrect' - I am using the correct login information - alpha just doesn't seem to know where in the world to get the login info.

What in the world is going on here? Can someone from Alpha PLEASE chime in - 2 of the systems we want to roll out are dependent on this for our subscription model.

ANy help is appreciated.
        Thanks.
        REA Inc.
        (416)-533-3777
        [email protected]

Comment

This only works locally because the dynamic connection string is defined in the application.a5i

Can you please allow the login component to specify the connection string to the files? - This would solve our issues.

Proposed Layout:

Connection
          (radio) DBF
          (radio) Connection
          +Dropdown to connections in the project

At server runtime - resolve the connection from the dropdown if the login component is set to SQL. If the connection is dynamic, resolve it based on the session variable (the same way you do for grids)

Is there a setting I can override in the component definition for the login?

tmpl.connection string or something? I need to force the login component to use the dynamic connection.
          Is there any alpha code I can modify?
          REA Inc.
          (416)-533-3777
          [email protected]

Comment

I am also using the dynamic connection for the multiple tenants or database connections. In reading your post, I think that my decision to write my own login and security might have been wise... it's been working well.
            Carol King
            Developer of Custom Homebuilders' Solutions (CHS)
            http://www.CHSBuilderSoftware.com

Comment

BTW, be glad you are working with dynamic connections at this point. It wasn't there when I started and Selwyn very nicely went ahead and opened up the dynamic connection feature at my request. That means that I have periodically found spots in Alpha that weren't reacting to a dynamic connection and he's taken care of it. So, you're at least past some of the issues with it.
              Carol King

Comment

There are still spots that do not react to the dynamic connection string - custom fields being one, the login component being the other (login component doesnt let you pick any connection - which would be necessary for multi-tenant applications).

Just seems like it was supported half way - oh well.
                Looks like were storing all our users in the system db instead of the client db. not good practice, oh well.

thanks for your input kingcarol
                REA Inc.
                (416)-533-3777
                [email protected]

Comment

Hopefully you are letting Selwyn know when you find those spots. Best of luck with everything!
                  Carol King

Comment

Scott you can add some other fields to the security tables and store other items like company name and such not sure if that will help but it may. I know you were shooting for the dynamic security but if you cant then that could be another answer to seperating users and groups even further.
                    Chad Brown

Comment

Thanks Chad.
                      We've actually decided to compromise.

We are now storing all users at the application_system_db level instead of the application_client_db level. It is not desirable - but it works.

Thanks for your help :)
                      REA Inc.
                      (416)-533-3777
                      [email protected]

Comment

And now - the dynamic connection is not respected by the dialog component. :/ *beyond frustrated*
                        REA Inc.
                        (416)-533-3777
                        [email protected]

Comment

Have you checked to Alpha to see if they plan to have the dialog component respect the dynamic connection? I haven't tried the new dialog component yet. Is the issue occurring when you are trying to make a connection in Xbasic or where?
                          Carol King

Comment

Working...
                          X