Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

a little html help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: a little html help?

Originally posted by WendyWelton View Post
    Thank you. Now that I've stepped on a couple of landmines with CSS (good way to learn though - makes you remember!), I'm going to make myself even a little map of which things get their CSS from where.

Of the articles I find via Google, this one explains it in a way that a newbie like me understands - http://sixrevisions.com/css/css-tips...ith-css-reset/ . It says any reset has to come first, which makes sense. But here's a question. If A5 has this CSS hierarchy going from local to global to system, would a reset than have to go in the system CSS?

And when you say "overrides for alpha classes" - do you mean in your named local CSS styles you restate things that might also be in alpha system level CSS?

My CSS seems to be behaving now that I've stopped doing foolish things, like letting it pull from the wrong project and letting grids gum up my pages with their CSS. So, I probably don't need to mess with it at this point, but Murphy's Law dictates that if I don't ask, I'll wish I knew, and soon!

Scott,

You may have. I'm juggling my core business with developing my application. I could very well have seen it, mentally said "good, I'll come back to that" and then couldn't find the thread again.

And - I've realized today that I'm being fuzzy and inaccurate in what I'm trying to do. It seems to be not difficult to link to a page in a pop up window. I'm trying to not only link to a page, but have that page be in a new window that has it's own web address - that can be copied and pasted into an email by my builders and their real estate agent.. I think that's why at least some think I'm a broken record asking for what's been answered. I'm not being clear in my language.

The New Window option exists in the grid builder for regular links, but not for the java action component (on-click etc). If you did post that, or know where that info is - and can post a link to it without going out of your way - love it. But at this point, having not learned about custom tables yet, I'm putting this on the list for my next official tutoring session. Once I see it done once I'll be off and running. I'm watching all the xbasic videos this weekend, but somehow I think trying to learn xbasic in a weekend to do one task is probably not realistic, that I should be just getting over this initial launch before my old web sites dies entirely, then embarking on a more deliberate learning path to do the fancier stuff I have all designed in my head.
    Hi Wendy,
    Im not sure about your knowledge of css but the C stands for cascading.

Say this is the html
    <link to style sheet 1>
    <link to style sheet 2>

in sheet 1 we have
    .class{ color:red; }

in sheet 2 we have
    .class{color: blue;}

THe color of any elements with the .class class will be blue. Because the 2nd sheet takes precedence.
    So in this case

<alpha style sheets>
    <reset.css>
    <style.css>

THe alpha style sheets are used.
    The reset.css resets margin/padding on certain items.
    The style.css has custom css and any overrides to alpha.

For example in my style.css I may define something like:
    .OliveDataTD{
    font-size:12px;
    }

(Basically I add CSS entries with the same names as the css entries defined by alpha so that my entries in style.css override the others)
    So for example above if the alpha stylesheet has
    .OliveDataTD{
    font-size:10000px;
    }

Alphas will be processed (font-size is now 100000px), then the reset.css (which wouldnt change anything in this specific case), then the style.css. (font-size is now 12px).
    You need to watch out for specifity as well. If alpha defines the style .OliveDataTable .OliveDataTD{} and you define .OliveDataTD{} - the alpha one will be used because it is considered more specific. I usually use firebug and right click>inspect element to see exactly where styles are coming from. (which is good in your case - you dont need to document).
    http://getfirebug.com/ Here is firebug - I cant imagine doing any sort of css without it - its a great tool. Just right click anything on the page and inspect..also, use the leftside source window to click on different elements so you can inspect their css in the rightside pane.

The reset.css is just there to reset certain items (because different browsers have different defaults, the reset.css helps with cross browser css issues) - here is the one i use:
    http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/css/reset/
    Scott Moniz - Computer Programmer/Analyst
    REA Inc.
    http://reainc.net
    (416)-533-3777
    [email protected]

REA INC offers consulting services, programming services, systems design, database design, third party payment gateway integration (CHASE, PAYPAL, AUTHORIZE.NET) and developer support.
    If you need custom code, or 1-to-1 mentoring in any facet of your database/web application design,
    contact us to discuss options.

Comment

Example:

Code:
      <!--Alpha Five Temporary Code Start - Will be automatically removed when page is published -->
      <!--CSS for tmpl_navMenu -->
      <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="file:///C:/Program Files/a5V10/css/GlassOlive/components/a5navsysToolbar/style.css"/>
      <!--Alpha Five Temporary Code End -->

<%a5
      'The componentAlias MUST be UNIQUE for each component on the page. It must not have spaces in the name. Keep name as short as possible
      dim componentAlias as c 
      componentAlias = "grid_paymentedi"
      Delete tmpl_grid_paymentedi
      DIM tmpl_grid_paymentedi as P
      tmpl_grid_paymentedi = a5w_load_component("grid_paymenteditable") 'SYSTEM GENERATED COMMENT - PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE (LOAD:grid_paymenteditable)
      'Following code allows you to override settings in the saved component.
      tmpl_grid_paymentedi.override_settings = <<%override_settings%
      	componentName = componentAlias
      	_gridFilename = "grid_paymenteditable"
      %override_settings%
      'TIP: To refer to local or page variables in the override_settings string, you must first define a local
      'dot variable called 'pageVar' with properties for all of the variables you want to reference. For example:
      '	dim pageVar as p
      '	pageVar.gridRowCount = 10
      'Then, in the override_settings string, you can reference pageVar.gridRowCount. For example:
      '	rows = pageVar.gridRowCount
      'Resolve session and page variables in the override_settings string.
      a5w_resolveVariablesInOverrideSettings(tmpl_grid_paymentedi,session,local_variables())
      delete x_grid_paymentedi
      dim x_grid_paymentedi as p
      x_grid_paymentedi = a5w_run_Component(tmpl_grid_paymentedi)  'SYSTEM GENERATED COMMENT - PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE (RUN:tmpl_grid_paymentedi) (EDIT:grid_paymenteditable)
      if x_grid_paymentedi.RedirectURL <> "" then 
      	response.redirect(x_grid_paymentedi.redirectURL)
      	end
      end if 
      ?x_grid_paymentedi.Output.Head.JavaScript
      ?x_grid_paymentedi.Output.Head.CSS_Link
      %>
      <!--Alpha Five Temporary Code Start - Will be automatically removed when page is published -->
      <!--CSS for tmpl_grid_paymentedi -->
      <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="file:///C:/Program Files/a5V10/css/GlassOlive/style.css">
      <!--Alpha Five Temporary Code End -->
      <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/reset.css"/>
      <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/style.css"/>
      And here is an excerpt from my style.css:
      HTML Code:
      #loginBox .GlassOliveErrorDataTD{
      	text-align:center;
      	padding-bottom:15px;
      }
      REA Inc.
      (416)-533-3777
      [email protected]

REA INC offers consulting services, programming services, systems design, database design, third party payment gateway integration (CHASE, PAYPAL, AUTHORIZE.NET) and developer support.
      If you need custom code, or 1-to-1 mentoring in any facet of your database/web application design,

Comment

Well after much behind the scenes communication, I've realized I've been unclear. I kept saying "link" which is readily doable via on-click. I've failed to clarify "link to a new page" - not available through on-click. It honestly never occurred to me that "link" doesn't mean "to a page", that popups are the norm. Newbie - still learning the language and customs.

But, after I sent in a suggestion that this be included as an option, Selwyn described how to do it with available tools and pretty easily.

Here's a couple of quick screens shot. I SHOULD be doing my main job, but can't focus until I close this topic - so enacting it now - will post a link to a working page of this in, hopefully, a few minutes. But, seeing people are chewing on it, wanted to get this up here now.

Wendy Welton
        Architect
        past & future Alphaholic - deliberately falling off the wagon!

http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Comment

I think the suggestions I gave you with the custom control would have given you the same result. To make the link open in a new browser just add the target="_blank" attribute/value.

ANyhow - glad its sorted.
          topic closed? xD
          REA Inc.
          (416)-533-3777
          [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by aburningflame View Post
            Hi Wendy,
            Im not sure about your knowledge of css but the C stands for cascading.
            Yep - knew that, in theory get the concepts but still "internalizing" it to where I don't have to stop and think. And I saw how the system, global, local cascade is in A5, wasn't sure where you would recommend this reset.

This example is great.

If I boil this down - do I have this correct:

1 - later instructions override earlier
            2 - more specific instruction override less specific.

So - when I see a lot of things blank in a style sheet, that's allowing that quality to flow down from above, basically keeping that data normalized by not repeating it where it doesn't need to be repeated.

Are those accurate big-picture ways to say it? Or did I get any of this wrong? I want to make sure I've wrapped my head around the forest first, trees second.
            Wendy Welton
            Architect

Comment

1 - later instructions override earlier
              2 - more specific instruction override less specific.

So - when I see a lot of things blank in a style sheet, that's allowing that quality to flow down from above, basically keeping that data normalized by not repeating it where it doesn't need to be repeated.
              1 - later instructions override earlier Yes, this is why they are called cascading

2 - more specific instruction override less specific. Yes. Something like #wrapper .myclass will override something like .myclass

So - when I see a lot of things blank in a style sheet, that's allowing that quality to flow down from above, basically keeping that data normalized by not repeating it where it doesn't need to be repeated. Not too clear here, but I think you got it. Basically say stylesheet1 says "Wendy youre a woman" and stylesheet 2 says "Wendy youre an architect" Then you are a woman and an architect. Stylesheet 2 does not need to say "Wendy youre a woman and an architect" because stylesheet 1 already told you you were an architect and stylesheet 2 didnt need to repeat that.

You could also just tell stylesheet 2 to tell you you are an architect and a woman - and remove the definition from style sheet 1.

Just google css and do some reading - theres a lot on the topic.
              Here is a blog post of mine that may help:
              http://theinfiniteloopblog.com/xhtml...-html-and-css/ tableless layouts
              http://theinfiniteloopblog.com/tag/cross-browser-css/ Cross browser css

The blogs a little old and I havent had a chance to work on it - but it should give you a little push
              REA Inc.
              (416)-533-3777
              [email protected]

Comment

I think the suggestions I gave you with the custom control would have given you the same result. To make the link open in a new browser just add the target="_blank" attribute/value.

ANyhow - glad its sorted.
                topic closed? xD
                Ah yes - "blank" - good reminder.

Your suggestion about custom controls may very well have - I was getting so much conflicting advice, combined with me having some difficulty following words when they are describing new territory for me (I'm visual), that I just didn't get all the way to the finish line. Once I understand more, I'll probably have a look at your stuff again just to satisfy my own need to understand. I do thank you for that effort.

And we have touchdown!

http://www.afhp.co/testwithfilter.a5w - images on right are now links to the plan page. Wahoo!

I am getting a script error, not sure how to hunt that down or if it's critical - am writing to Peter about it - when I go to the source tab for this grid, only one I changed - it only has 465 lines - so suspect is something else. And - gotta do my other work for awhile.

I'm only including it here because it might be one of those things where somebody says "oh yeah, seen this...."
                Wendy Welton
                Architect

Comment

1 - later instructions override earlier Yes, this is why they are called cascading

2 - more specific instruction override less specific. Yes. Something like #wrapper .myclass will override something like .myclass

So - when I see a lot of things blank in a style sheet, that's allowing that quality to flow down from above, basically keeping that data normalized by not repeating it where it doesn't need to be repeated. Not too clear here, but I think you got it. Basically say stylesheet1 says "Wendy youre a woman" and stylesheet 2 says "Wendy youre an architect" Then you are a woman and an architect. Stylesheet 2 does not need to say "Wendy youre a woman and an architect" because stylesheet 1 already told you you were an architect and stylesheet 2 didnt need to repeat that.

You could also just tell stylesheet 2 to tell you you are an architect and a woman - and remove the definition from style sheet 1.

Just google css and do some reading - theres a lot on the topic.
                  Here is a blog post of mine that may help:
                  http://theinfiniteloopblog.com/xhtml...-html-and-css/ tableless layouts
                  http://theinfiniteloopblog.com/tag/cross-browser-css/ Cross browser css

The blogs a little old and I havent had a chance to work on it - but it should give you a little push
                  Thank you. That's making sense and I'll have a look at those blogs over the weekend.
                  Wendy Welton
                  Architect

Comment

Based on your completed page - I am 100% confident what you wanted could have been done with the custom control method.

Regardless, site looks good.
                    Also, your error may be to do an unescaped character or a missing ; line terminator in any custom javascript etc
                    REA Inc.
                    (416)-533-3777
                    [email protected]

Comment

Yeah - no doubt on both. I haven't found the source of the error on my own, am booking time with Peter G to hunt down. I guess now I get to learn how to hunt for stuff like that!

A random question that belongs in no particular thread...

If I'm using the Chrome localhost preview, and I right click and do "inspect", am I using Firebug? I've seen mention of Firebug as a tool, went to Google to try and get it, thought I had it, couldn't find it on my Programs menu.... Have I had it all along!

ok, you guys in the back row, no laughing at the new kid...;-)
                      Wendy Welton
                      Architect

Comment

Yeah - no doubt on both. I haven't found the source of the error on my own, am booking time with Peter G to hunt down. I guess now I get to learn how to hunt for stuff like that!

A random question that belongs in no particular thread...

If I'm using the Chrome localhost preview, and I right click and do "inspect", am I using Firebug? I've seen mention of Firebug as a tool, went to Google to try and get it, thought I had it, couldn't find it on my Programs menu.... Have I had it all along!

ok, you guys in the back row, no laughing at the new kid...;-)
                        Chrome has its own little developer tools as do IE. Both are (I think) loosely based on firebug. Firebug is a plugin for Firefox. If you use chrome, there is no need for firebug as chrome has its own developer tools for css/html modification etc.
                        Even with firebug it wont show up in your programs menu - it is a browser plugin - not a software application.

Im a firefox kinda guy.
                        Anyways - goodluck, enjoy your day.
                        REA Inc.
                        (416)-533-3777
                        [email protected]

Comment

Closing the last hole - Peter found the error

1 - I had left some code in another field, hadn't cleaned up after some other attempts.

2 - Then when I tried Selwyn's solution, it didn't work at first (probably because of item 1 above), so I tried switching from Table to View, because my filter code that works came from a grid using View. That had no effect, so I went back. I again failed to clean up by dropping the table and deleting the calculated field (actually didn't quite get it that they are different, not the same thing displayed in two places - now I know that!).

3 - When trying those things, I hadn't been refreshing, making sure each change was complete. Wrong stuff may not be in a visible field, but hanging out beneath the surface because of sloppy methods.

This is the kind of thing that I think you just have to learn by bumping into the tree. They could put this in the manual, but until you stub your toe, it really won't sink in. So maybe somebody else with a similar problem will remember this and in addition to looking at what's there, ask the question (to themselves or the person they're helping) "so tell me how you got here...."
                          Wendy Welton
                          Architect

Comment

Working...
                          X