Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

a little html help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: a little html help?

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
    ---

As an aside, I think I will modify my wt_content() function to pull content (including images) from ANY database table, and include any filter. That may not be a perfect soln here, but will come in handy in similar situations.
    Actually - that exactly spot on what I need - content areas as designed, ability to pull the images and their detail view link pulled from my existing tables.
    Wendy Welton
    Architect
    past & future Alphaholic - deliberately falling off the wagon!

http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Comment

I'm stubborn!

I'm now seeing other places where what I originally wanted to do is actually what I need to do.

So - I'm going to try and simplify the questions:

If I need to arrange a variety elements on a page in a variety of different ways:
      • grids
      • regular text and images
      • fields from tables, like in Steve's template

What's the best way?

When someone says "use CSS" do you mean edit the CSS file? Or do you mean use CSS coding, like tables and "align" etc?

Question 1 - Assuming it's the latter (almost has to be, the CSS file wouldn't know about individual objects) - and my big stumbling block is that the page doesn't seem to know a grid displaying a single image has a height (using paragraph moves the next thing down only one line - resulting in overlap) - what CSS commands should I be looking at? How do I say "go down and below this, and by the way, that thing is more than one line in height?"

In some cases solving this is THE solution, because I assume I could then have text wrap around that image, not be restricted to a more table-like arrangement.

Question 2 - Or table? And if I try to do this with Tables, since a grid display is already a Table, can I put a Table inside a Table? That seemed to work, but then again, I did blow up my application. "oh that" ;-)
      Wendy Welton
      Architect

Comment

Tables are certainly "easier" if you don't know CSS, and CSS is easier if you know both. Tables are absolute, you get exactly the structure you define, many thousands of modern websites use tables to define structure. Alpha's grids are built upon tables plus CSS. You can put tables inside tables. The layout you showed me yesterday (image left, description right) can be built equally with tables or CSS. Pages with lots of table definitions run more slowly that the same layout using CSS (due to caching and reduced code for the CSS model.)

There are also many thousands of websites explaining how to use CSS, including how to "float" objects left or right.

Take a look at the attachment. It shows four DIV's ("areas") that are positioned using only CSS. It is very easy to see some of the CSS for the two DIV's with class="box1" because the CSS is "in-line", appearing right there with the DIV. The key to making those sections appear on the same line, or wrap to the next line is "float, and width". You ensure the two DIV areas have a total width that allows them to fit on one line, then use FLOAT to cause them to appear on the same line. It can be a pain to line things up, which is why there are standards for how wide columns should be. Although you can see some of the CSS for these BOX1 DIV's, some also is buried in the style.css file.

You cannot see the CSS for the DIV classes main_home, main2, sidebar_home because those are defined in the style.css file.

Within each of the + symbols is more CSS and HTML. In the case of the two with class="box1", that CSS will include DIV's for the images, telling them to be flush left, have some padding, and to allow text to 'wrap' around them.

The DIV with class="clearfix" is important. If it were noted in-line, it would be style="clear:both". That separates the objects above from the objects below. Without that designation, often objects below will overlap objects above.

Although you can't see all of it in the image, the format is:

DIV CONTENT - the entire content area
        DIV MAIN_HOME - the area with the four content divs
        DIV BOX1 - END DIV BOX1
        DIV BOX2 - END DIV BOX2
        DIV CLEARFIX
        DIV BOX3 - END DIV BOX3
        DIV SIDEBAR_HOME - END DIV SIDEBAR_HOME
        END DIV MAIN_HOME
        END DIV CONTENT
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

You know - I had that example right there the whole time, now didn't I? "doh" Maybe it being built in is why I didn't see it. I need to find a class about CSS!

I find lots of useful bits and pieces, like at w3schools.com, but not a lot with things in context with each other.

I will give this a shot. I like the idea of it being a tad simpler and less time to load pages.
          Wendy Welton
          Architect

Comment

btw - what's Clearfix?
            Wendy Welton
            Architect

Comment

Clearfix is my own class name, it leads to this css:

style="clear:both"
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by WendyWelton View Post
                btw - what's Clearfix?
                Also, Google this: HTML CLEARFIX
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Originally posted by peteconway View Post
                  Wendy what I'm trying to tell you what you are trying to learn (the way you are going about it) is the wrong way, that's all.
                  "The wrong way" - what is wrong with learning HTML and CSS? Just because Alpha makes it easier for you - does not mean you should completely scrap/disregard the basics. Learning basic html and css would help a lot of people on this forum - and I commend wendy for doing that.
                  Scott Moniz - Computer Programmer/Analyst
                  REA Inc.
                  http://reainc.net
                  (416)-533-3777
                  [email protected]

REA INC offers consulting services, programming services, systems design, database design, third party payment gateway integration (CHASE, PAYPAL, AUTHORIZE.NET) and developer support.
                  If you need custom code, or 1-to-1 mentoring in any facet of your database/web application design,
                  contact us to discuss options.

Comment

Originally posted by aburningflame View Post
                    "The wrong way" - what is wrong with learning HTML and CSS? Just because Alpha makes it easier for you - does not mean you should completely scrap/disregard the basics. Learning basic html and css would help a lot of people on this forum - and I commend wendy for doing that.
                    This is so ridiculous message that I have to comment it.

I must say that I never did get impression from this thread that Pete said that learning HTML and CSS is wrong. If you read carefully he did post to Wendy that "the way you are going about it" is the wrong way.(In message #13)

And when I read all the suggestions to Wendy after # 13 post I must say that Pete was 100% right.

Comment

Originally posted by kkfin View Post
                      This is so ridiculous message that I have to comment it.

I must say that I never did get impression from this thread that Pete said that learning HTML and CSS is wrong. If you read carefully he did post to Wendy that "the way you are going about it" is the wrong way.(In message #13)

And when I read all the suggestions to Wendy after # 13 post I must say that Pete was 100% right.
                      The way she was going about it can be done. Not everything needs to be done in a grid. there are many situations where i have used html/css/xbasic to output - instead of using a grid (after all - under the hood all the grid does is use xbasic to load database information and use html/css to output it). The way she was going about it was not the best, but it was not "wrong". Maybe I should have said that 'Using xbasic/Css/Html' is not the wrong way - instead of the word learning.
                      Last edited by aburningflame; 04-25-2011, 12:26 PM.
                      REA Inc.
                      (416)-533-3777
                      [email protected]

REA INC offers consulting services, programming services, systems design, database design, third party payment gateway integration (CHASE, PAYPAL, AUTHORIZE.NET) and developer support.
                      If you need custom code, or 1-to-1 mentoring in any facet of your database/web application design,

Comment

The way I see it is this:
                        The grid is like a building with many floors.
                        Now - if I need to build a 1 story house - would it be better to take that grid and demolish all the floors above 1? Or would it be easier to build a house from the ground up?

There are situations for the grid, but sometimes its just easier to start from scratch instead of trying to find/edit all the css/settings you need to.

:)
                        REA Inc.
                        (416)-533-3777
                        [email protected]

Comment

I love seeing some debate about the methods - because I and other newbies can learn from it. But I think we should get entirely away from any and all blanket statements and judgments.
                          Wendy Welton
                          Architect

Comment

Here is the solution to the single grid delivery of the topic. It was wrong of me to comment the way I did, but please be assured it was out frustration that the tools made available by v10+ in the grid are not being used to capacity. I was saying the process was crazy (in light of what I knew) and thats's all, if anyone has any questions or comments let me know - I have also posted a new thread of the some 13 minute video that details the solution for those not following the thread. I hope you find it of assistance. Pete

Run Video

The Ajax
                            function isEven(rowNum) {

if(rowNum % 2 == 0) return true;
                            return false;

}
                            Last edited by peteconway; 04-26-2011, 05:33 AM.
                            Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                            Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                            US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Nice work Peter.

Code:
                              The Ajax

return false;

}
                              It's not The Ajax (I clean my shower with that!) it's the JavaScript!

Here's another alternative, using JavaScript unary ? operator

Code:
                              function isEven(rowNum){
                                   return (rowNum %2 == 0) ? true:false;
                              }
                              Last edited by Bob Moore; 04-26-2011, 11:32 AM.
                              Bob Moore

Comment

Originally posted by peteconway View Post
                                Here is the solution to the single grid delivery of the topic. It was wrong of me to comment the way I did, but please be assured it was out frustration that the tools made available by v10+ in the grid are not being used to capacity. I was saying the process was crazy (in light of what I knew) and thats's all, if anyone has any questions or comments let me know - I have also posted a new thread of the some 13 minute video that details the solution for those not following the thread. I hope you find it of assistance. Pete

Run Video

The Ajax

return false;

}
                                Thats fine pete :) sometimes people misword things.
                                There are some situations where I try using the grid to its full capacity and some areas where I shy away from the grid. If it takes me an hour to write some xbasic/html/css - which I am very proficient at - I am going to take that route over the wading through documentation and trying to find and learn some hidden grid feature.

Anyways, no harm done. :) Enjoy your day.
                                REA Inc.
                                (416)-533-3777
                                [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                                X