Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha Sports Web? Shopping Cart Example?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alpha Sports Web? Shopping Cart Example?

In version 8, alpha had an ecommerce.zip(called AlphaSportsWebV8Setup.exe) package that they sold or gave. It required a serial number to unzip. I have it, but never used it. Looked at it a month ago for about 5 minutes. I had to call alpha for the serial before I could open it.

It may be possible to call alpha and get that program, not sure. It may would help you with some of the beginnings.

This may also help you:
    http://www.thesitewizard.com/search/?q=cart
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Spurred on by Wendy, I have been pushing to provide my shopping cart. I have used it at alphatogo.com and alphadevnet.com for years. It is a nearly full integration with paypal using their "standard" web API and Instant Payment Notification".
      Steve Wood
      See my profile on IADN

Comment

I'm glad to see this thread is still gathering interest. For myself, I have built several cart pages but never quite get there. I know what I want to do, but not exactly how. For example, when someone first adds an item to the cart, is a record opened in a dbf table, or is it just a record with an ID from a session variable - to be saved to a dbf later?

I don't need every part of the cart creating - just the basic direction and structure. I already have an account with Barclaycard for online payment processing, so I don't require a Paypal interface either.

I have printed every page from the Alpha Sports website. It's massive - and mighty confusing, and not much help. What I don't understand is why this is such a problem area. I am confident that if I knew just a little bit more I would get there. I wish I had the knowledge because I am sure this is a potential money-spinner.

Comment

when someone adds a record to the cart - redirect (or ajax callback) to a a5w page that uses sql and xbasic to add items to the cart dbf or sql table
          Scott Moniz - Computer Programmer/Analyst
          REA Inc.
          http://reainc.net
          (416)-533-3777
          [email protected]

REA INC offers consulting services, programming services, systems design, database design, third party payment gateway integration (CHASE, PAYPAL, AUTHORIZE.NET) and developer support.
          If you need custom code, or 1-to-1 mentoring in any facet of your database/web application design,
          contact us to discuss options.

Comment

Larry, when you say you have a Barclaycard account, do you mean you have mapped out how to use their payment gateway API (called SmartPay I see on their website)? Or, do you just have a merchant account integrated through some other service or shopping cart?
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
              Spurred on by Wendy, I have been pushing to provide my shopping cart. I have used it at alphatogo.com and alphadevnet.com for years. It is a nearly full integration with paypal using their "standard" web API and Instant Payment Notification".
              I am just SUCH a troublemaker.... ;-)
              Wendy Welton
              Architect
              past & future Alphaholic - deliberately falling off the wagon!

http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Gordon View Post
                I'm glad to see this thread is still gathering interest. For myself, I have built several cart pages but never quite get there. I know what I want to do, but not exactly how. For example, when someone first adds an item to the cart, is a record opened in a dbf table, or is it just a record with an ID from a session variable - to be saved to a dbf later?

I don't need every part of the cart creating - just the basic direction and structure. I already have an account with Barclaycard for online payment processing, so I don't require a Paypal interface either.

I have printed every page from the Alpha Sports website. It's massive - and mighty confusing, and not much help. What I don't understand is why this is such a problem area. I am confident that if I knew just a little bit more I would get there. I wish I had the knowledge because I am sure this is a potential money-spinner.
                Look at post #7
                REA Inc.
                (416)-533-3777
                [email protected]

REA INC offers consulting services, programming services, systems design, database design, third party payment gateway integration (CHASE, PAYPAL, AUTHORIZE.NET) and developer support.
                If you need custom code, or 1-to-1 mentoring in any facet of your database/web application design,

Comment

Steve,
                  I have a Barclaycard Merchant account for which I pay �10 per month. When my client checks out from my cart he will land on the Barclays page, along with some transaction info from my cart. He will then enter his card details and then be returned to my site, which will then email him confirmation of the transaction.

Although I have been working (unsuccessfully) at the cart for some time now - as you know - when I do eventually get it going, initially the number of transactions will not be life changing for me. It's something I would 'like' to have rather than a 'must' have.
                  Kind regards,
                  Larry

Comment

Hi Scott, Thanks once again for the help at post #7, but as you saw from my reply and your response at Post #10, I failed! Understanding the code and how to change it is an ongoing challenge for me - though I didn't get involved with Alpha to learn code...

Comment

Like to haves turn into can't live with-outs!

I have been looking at Paypal's SDKs but like everything else in this business they require 2 years of study to become fluent.

Isn't the payment gateway an inseparable part of the cart?

Do you see a cart/API payment integration as a database template or as a feature pack constructed through a builder?

I would like to see some Template databases provided by Alpha. Like Alpha Sports but simpler.
                      A shopping cart, payment gateway integration, User registration, a subscription database with payment integration and I'm sure others can come up with, many more. These are all modules needed to build many different types of web apps. You could probably make a common list of modules that than could be assembled in different ways to build many diverse apps.

Likewise you could build a basic sql database that you could tie to the modules. It would include all the base tables needed to support each module. You could than modify the modules and database to customize your application. This would be a frame work that would give newbies a simple working foundation for their apps.

This would allow a newbie to launch an app very quickly and reduce some of the frustration that surely results in many Alpha users throwing in the towel.

Bobby the Brain
                      Last edited by bob9145; 06-11-2011, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Here are the main three screens from the Shopping Cart I am providing to Wendy. It is designed to be generic enough to 'drop-in' to an existing application, but also to use as a standalone ready-to-go shopping cart. It is designed to work with my Framework, but also without the Framework. In addition to the three screens it has management of Products, Vendors, Affiliates, Transactions, Payment Setup, and Promos. Promos are pretty rich - dollars off the order, percent off the order, minimum order to qualify, promotion from and to dates, a promo code can be set to use once or X number of times or unlimited, and it can be set so that a qualifying item has to be purchased to allow the promotion. The Affiliate model lets you give a URL to an Affiliate - if someone uses that URL, the Affiliate is awarded some defined amount of commission. The Commission can be a percent of order, dollar amount, etc.
                        Attached Files
                        Steve Wood
                        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve,

That is a geat product. Can we buy that through IADN?

Is there a MySQL version?

Pat
                          Pat Bremkamp
                          MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Pat,

Gotta get it up on Wendy's system as a test first.
                            Steve Wood
                            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Update - I sent the shopping cart app to Wendy to configure on her side. I want to see how "easy" it is to integrate with her existing application, will it really "drop-in" like I hope. I made it so you can configure what table your "Product Information" is in, then can add the Add To Cart button to any grid where the underlying table has the "ID" that matches the Product Information table. I know Wendy's pricing is a lookup to a different table, so that might take a little code in the page that waits for the response from PayPal.
                              Steve Wood
                              See my profile on IADN

Comment

I have been looking at Paypal's SDKs but like everything else in this business they require 2 years of study to become fluent. Their API is actually very well documented. It will not take you 2 years. My first experience with it took about a week to figure everything out. The sandbox test mode is really helpful. https://developer.paypal.com/

Isn't the payment gateway an inseparable part of the cart? [b] What if a cart doesn't use a payment gateway? We have built applications where the cart is checked out and an email is sent. The payments are processed by call centres or invoicing[/b
                                REA Inc.
                                (416)-533-3777
                                [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                                X