Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

AIMS_Get_Path - a.k.a. improved ui_get_path()

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AIMS_Get_Path - a.k.a. improved ui_get_path()

Let me begin by explaining what I don't like about the built-in functions...

The ui_get_path() function:
    - Does not allow you to select the root folder of any drive.* (This was my big complaint.)
    - Does not show hidden folders.
    - Does not show available UNC drives.
    - Is not resizeable.
    - Requires 3 arguments even if they are blank.
    - Clicking the "up one level" icon does some really strange things. (It sorta goes up one level but then switches the selected folder to the first subfolder regardless of which folder you were in initially. That's very confusing for users.)

*Many people have tried to tell me it can select the root folder but, once I've walked them through it, nobody has yet been able to actually get the function to return "C:". The best you can get is the first subfolder under C: - or any other drive letter. You can click on any drive in the drive selection box but it will ALWAYS return one of the subfolder names. The only way to get it to return the root folder is to put in a memory stick or external drive that doesn't have any subfolders.

The ui_browse_for_folder() function:
    - Shows hidden folders. (With no option for not showing them.)
    - Is not resizeable.
    - Does not allow you to create a new folder.
    - Does not have an "up one level" icon. (Although that isn't critical with the tree format.)
    - Does not show the complete path. (You can figure it out by scrolling up and down the tree but there are some situations where that's rather painful compared to just looking at a field with the full path spelled out.

Selwyn wasn't willing to fix either one of them and and said I could build my own using an xdialog so here it is. It's not as "clean" as I'd like it (I'd like it to have a tree format like the ui_browse_for_folder() function) but it has all the features I wanted and I think it's better than ui_get_path() - at least my users like it better.

This is a replacement for ui_get_path. It can be used as a direct replacement but also has a few extra features:
    - No arguments are necessary. (But additional arguments are available for the additional features below.)
    - Allows you to select the root folder of any drive.
    - The dialog is sizable - and the last size and position are saved.
    - There is a Description argument that allows you to display text at the top to assist the user.
    - The default for drive choices shows all available drives including UNC drives. (I'm thinking about adding an option to hide the UNC drives.)
    - The Default_Path can be blank to use the 'datapath'. (In my 'lingo', 'datapath' is where the main data is stored - locally on one computer or on the server if using a workstation.)
    - The Default_Path can be "last saved" to allow the user to save any selected path as the standard default.
    - The Default_Path can be "last selected" to always use the last selected path as the default for the next selection.
    - Showing 'hidden' files and folders is optional. The default shows them.
    - The font face can be set to Arial, Tahoma, or MS Sans Serif.
    - The font size can be set up to 16.
    - The 'Create New Folder' icon can be hidden.
    - If no subfolders are found when double-clicking a folder name, there is a "short_xdialog" that appears for just a second then disappears - no more need to close the warning message.

I was thinking about making it an aex file since I put a lot of time into creating the code but decided to post the whole thing so it would be easier for people to include in their Code tab when distributing generic apps. And, since it's 529 lines long, I've just attached it in a text file.

If you find any problems with it, please let me know.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CALocklin; 05-03-2011, 11:33 PM.

Re: AIMS_Get_Path - a.k.a. improved ui_get_path()

Thanks Cal, a great addition

Comment

Nice work Cal.

Does "exactly what it says on the tin"
      Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

BIG Thanks!!! to you CAL
        "Knowledge without application is useless."

Comment

Cal, very nice and a big improvement in the usability stakes. Just one problem. I am running it in A5 version 8 and it takes a full 30 seconds from the time I start it until the dialog box appears. My PC is an Intel 6750 2.6 GHz dual core with 4GB RAM. So this shouldn't be the problem. Any ideas?

Comment

Brett, I can only guess that it's having some type of problem identifying all the drives. It's instantaneous on my system and I've used it in v8, v9, and v10.

Comment

Cal, OK good suggestion - see attached. Problem appeared to be hard. Tried it in A5v9 and no delay. Now when I go back and try it again in A5v8 there is no longer any problem. Drive R is a proprietary RAID that's giving me some ongoing problems - it's days may be numbered now.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X