Alpha Video Training

Thread: Load balancing applications with Zebra hosting

Real Name
    Larry mandras

Default Load balancing applications with Zebra hosting

I have a web application running v10 that I was going to host with Zebra Host. I was going to have three hyper v's under a load balancer. My application stores images and files to a directory on the web server. Has anyone had experience with this type of configuration. I am concerned that the images will be saved to one of the three machines depending on the machine serving up the request and the other machines will not see the images. I would also welcome any suggestions on how better to handle this situation so I could use the load balancing and still store the images to the file system.

"Certified" Alphaholic chadbrown's Avatar
    Real Name
    Chad Brown

Default Re: Load balancing applications with Zebra hosting

I have a similar issue to this where we upload a pdf file for later viewing and every 3min I ftp the files back and forth bettween my two servers. Depending on how fast you need this to happen it could be an answer. Have you asked Clive at zebra about this?
    Chad Brown

Real Name
    Elbee

Is it possible to have a shared network drive?
    Calyxte

Real Name
    Scott Lines

Each of the hyper V's will be running an instance of the Alpha Five Web Application Server (WAS).
    However, one of the hyper V's (primary) must have the main disk drive that houses the A5Webroot. The other two hyper V's (secondary) have to have a drive mapped to this main disk drive. AND the WAS on these secondary hyper V's must be pointed to the A5Webroot on the primary.

This main disk drive and the mappings to it on the secondary hyper V's must all have the same drive letter. For example, on the primary it is called drive M: The secondary hyper V's then have a drive M: mapped to the primary's drive M: So all three hyper V's have a drive "M:" that are pointed to the primary's drive M:

This allows there to be a single A5Webroot that all of the WAS instances utilize (ie M:\A5Webroot).

Your image storage directory is placed on the primary hyper V's M: drive. Let's call it M:\images

Your application now saves and retrieves its images from M:\images

Real Name
    Chad Brown

I agree, The nice thing about the M: would be that you would only need to publish to one webroot. The only problem I see with that setup is that if that M: is down you loose all your hyper v's at once. I personally like running all of them seperately. Both have there advantages and disadvantages.
    Chad Brown

Real Name
    Elbee

Chad,
    You could have separate HyperV's with separate storage and then manage the syncing of the images and documents between the 3. A program that can do this is called goodsync.
    I am kinda curious though, Chat how often do your servers go down? Would it not be better to build in some fault tolerance for all of your system instead of all the constant syncing of images and documents?
    Perhaps all that syncing in away is a poor mans or simple kind of data tolerance.
    Calyxte
    PS On your servers what are your WAS thread settings set at?

Real Name
    Chad Brown

I have one hyperv and one main server which is not hyper its a 8 core 6gb which serves mysql and one was. Servers dont go down very often at all, I have only been down for about 2 hrs in the last 2 yrs. I dont mind the syncing its all run in the background, once its been set and I dont have to touch it. WAS settings are double the normal settings.
    Chad Brown