Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: Host Headers on Remote Server

Real Name
    Gene Hammond

Default Host Headers on Remote Server

I'm new to Alpha Five but not to web development. Have used Dreamweaver with .asp and Dot Net with ASPX for many years and have worked with remote ISPs in both environments.
    Now that I have secured a VPS for Alpha Server and am setting it up, I find that it only supports one IP address per Server license (I'm pretty sure about this but correct me if I'm wrong).

This is contrary to what all other environments I have worked in allow and even against the whole policy for the need for IP addresses which require justification. There is no reason, any server written today cannot support multiple sites under one IP and server license.

There is a serious need to make something similar to host headers or an alternate method to allow multiple Sites to run under one server with the same IP address.

Real Name
    Gene Hammond

Default Re: Host Headers on Remote Server

As I search around the forum, I find tons of references to hosting multiple sites with one Server and one or more IPs. Some reference Using Apache others talk about various tricks and problems with shared local variables and limited or expanded version of WAS, etc.

There does not seem to be a clear/clean answer to this. Any clarity would be appreciated.

Gene

Alpha Software Employee Lenny Forziati's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lenny Forziati

The Application Server does not currently support virtual hosting. To host multiple sites on the same server, you must use multiple server instances, each bound to a distinct IP address & port combination.

Lenny Forziati
    Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
    Alpha Software Corporation

Real Name
    Gene Hammond

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Forziati View Post
    The Application Server does not currently support virtual hosting. To host multiple sites on the same server, you must use multiple server instances, each bound to a distinct IP address & port combination.
    Thanks for clarifying this. Since you said "does not currently support virtual hosting"... my question now becomes do you plan on doing so and if yes, do you have a time-frame for this?