Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Some great reference material for users with access to 10.5 training videos....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some great reference material for users with access to 10.5 training videos....

AND MAYBE A TRICK, EVEN FOR "SEASONED USERS".......
    (This "trick" has to do with "versioning" via duplicating, dropping, and re-adding tables.)

IMPORTANT: READ THE OVERVIEW SECTION FIRST. (I JUST REALIZED THE COMPILED PDF SECTIONS ARE OUT OF ORDER.) ~page 10

NOTE TO "SEASONED USERS": I'm sure other viewers (myself included) would greatly appreciate any feedback & corrections within these notes!

IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION PLAN AS I DO, YOU HAVE ACCESS TO ALL OF THE VIDEOS......
    If not, they still may be of use, as there are some tips, and everything is here in one place.

But first let me state that I am not a professional a5 developer. Much of the knowledge accumulated here came from the instructional videos. A special thanks to Steve & James (and the other people) who produced these videos. ~ I do however have longtime background with computers and programming, which dates back to the Apple-II!
    There are two (2) PDF's attached here.
    The first one represents a timeline with time-stamps, documents the training videos highlights.
    The second one is a collection of references accumulated from this forum.

(bottom of each page shows where the info came from.)
    Also, Here's one more link I found: http://www.aimsdc.net/Tips.htm
    (All links to the original sites and pages are printed at the bottom of each pdf page, because there is much more there to learn.) ~ So I encourage you visit the sites directly!

Over the years, I've worked with ASP, Visual Basic, IIS, SQL server, mySql, java script, and even Apple basic & assembly language* in the early 80's! (I mostly used rapid application development tools such as Drumbeat 2000 which was abandoned after Macromedia purchased it from Elemental software a decade ago. FYI: Drumbeat became the watered down product know as Ultra-Dev which is now a part of Adobe DreamWeaver.) *Assembly languages is a great way to get nowhere fast.....
    .....During all of this, in "my spare time": Having literally invested thousands of hours in Drumbeat, (admittedly "quarky" to use) I was so disgusted that I stayed away from all development platforms for quite a few years..... I had just "almost" finished building a web based e-commerce POS system for the powersports business, that could connect to multiple Access &/or SQL backends, depending on the dynamic connection strings. (Which were automatically chosen depending upon what brand / lookups were selected by the user. Millions of items (parts lookup) that could even be cross-referenced with in stock merchandise. It even had an online "merchandise display gallery." - It was cool!) .....Enough said!
    Needless to say, I never went the way of the "Microsoft Shop" because IMHO, it's too much work, too time confusing, to diverse in terms of programming language, and overall..... A waste of time to try and absorb, unless you life revolves 100% around programming. (Although I really enjoy coding, my life certainly does not.) ~ Plus, I want to "keep it fun."
    It's worth noting that I have purchased many versions of a5 over the years, (even a4 on floppy as far back as the mid 90's.) I'm "familiar with the product." But until recently, I never had enough time to devote to a5. You might say I wasted money purchasing and not really using a5 in the past..... At least I've watched the product grow. ~And I'm "familiar" with it.

The videos (included in the new subscription plan) are great to watch, as learning tools. (pause, practice & "play") BUT... Referring back to them to search for specific examples is very difficult without detailed notes and time stamps..... (It results in a process I refer to as "haystacking" ~ looking for a needle in a haystack.) These notes solved this problem, at least for myself.....

Concequently, & out of necessity, I decided to document the high points of the videos along with time-stamps of what the instructors were teaching when. It's by no means complete, but it sure makes it much easer to find the reference points when you need them..... It took such a long time to do this (watching videos multiple times, and searching & recording time stamps for reference points, that I decided to share my notes here.)
    Please forgive me in advance for typos etc...
    The documents provided herein represent "many hours" devoted to learning a5 desktop.
    (I wasn't too worried about the format, only the content.)

If you're new to a5, and have access to these videos, these notes will likely be of great help. I'm sure there are mistakes here. Regardless, they currently provide me with a fast and easy way to find instructions & examples, when I need to.

If you've already watched the videos, (some of which can be watched at high speed in the WMP)..... I believe these notes can be invaluable to help "trigger your memory" as to where to go to review what you want to see. ~As I mentioned earlier, they are invaluable to me.

NOTE: Much of the info contained is the result of watching training videos provided with the a5 subscription plan. Some of the other training info were taken from websites I found right here in the forums.

I hope this helps some of you out there..... As this organization of training material notes (IMHO) is "too valuable not to share."

PS: If there is one negative I can say about working with a5, it's the "bugginess." (If there is such a word?) Over the years I have had numerous attempts at delving into a5. Previously, I always ran out of time, so had to "abandon ship." Even so, during this time, I must have found and reported 20 or more bugs that I encountered learning pieces of a5. It's a very frustrating endeavor, because it take a lot of work to first determine whether I'm the cause of a "PICNIC" or the bugs are real. (And then they have to be documented and reproducible!) Regardless, and to the credit of a5, Selwyn Rabins has always been quick to acknowledge and reply the the issues I have found. A5 is powerful and comprehensive product. Thus bugs are to be expected.... "We're all only human!"
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Lenny Forziati; 05-10-2011, 10:11 AM. Reason: removed attachment per user request
    Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
    It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
    RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

READ THIS PAGE FIRST... (Sorry)

Here is the separate OVERVIEW (attached) that should be read first.....
    This page give you an idea of what the contents of the notes are, and how to use them best (IMHO.)
    ("Sandwiched on page #10 of the TrainingVideoTimeStamps+MyTips.pdf)
    (I was "timed-out" out of editing this post prior to adding this final note.)
    Apparently when I built the PDF's, the program that combined them decided to re-sort them by name..... Not in the order which I added them. ~ SORRY....
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SNusa; 05-09-2011, 04:57 PM.
    It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
    RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Re: Some GOOD reference material for users with access to 10.5 training videos....

For those interested, I rebuilt the note files in proper sequence.....

~I'm also including the original One-Note file from which they originated..... (the zip file)
      Not trying to promote MS Office, but I received a comp. copy this past fall....
      (And I became tired of trying to organize notes into notepad.)

If you have access to one-note (on windows live maybe?) you can edit them to your liking.
      (I intend to clean them up a bit, but don't have the time right now.)

I also suspect that I will eventually do the same thing for some of the web based instructional videos. If and when I do this, they will also be posted.

I sincerely hope these extra efforts help someone other than me. Figuring all this out was a "daunting" task, alone up here in the "north country" on a 15.4 (single screen) Lenovo T61P notebook....... "Ouch, my head." ~ Good thing I have a background in "this kind of stuff."
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Lenny Forziati; 05-10-2011, 10:12 AM. Reason: removed attachment per user request

Comment

Re: Some great reference material for users with access to 10.5 training videos....

It is important to note that the material in the ReferenceLinks.pdf above came from the following two sites:
        There is a ton of additional enlightening information at these two URL's. For up to date content, please visit these sites directly.

And although my attempts were genuine (to help organize all this information in one concise area for ease of organized learning)... It was brought to my intention that I should have posted links directly to the sources instead. (Some, if not all of this material is considered to be copyrighted by it's owner.) ~ Over the past few years, I had seen numerous references to this material here on the a5 forums.

My sincere apologies to Ira @ http://www.csda1.com

NOTE: The other two files (Alpha10.5 zip and Alpha10.5pdf) are 100% produced by myself, and free for all to do as they please.....

~Robert.
        Last edited by SNusa; 05-10-2011, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Re: Some great reference material for users with access to 10.5 training videos....

Here's the specific link to query syntax, written by Tom Cone: http://www.learn alpha.com/QuerySynt...axGlossary.htm

Comment

Working...
          X