Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Where do we start with A5 development of a database?? Desktop/Web/?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do we start with A5 development of a database?? Desktop/Web/?

Hi Everybody,

I have been looking into Alpha Five over the past two weeks with the view to build a database for our business to replace one developed in FileMaker which we currently use and which I'd like very much to be rid of - for many reasons.

My time is limited in assessing all the pros and cons, but I am rather impressed with all the supporting enthusiasm of A5 users, especially on the Forum. The only "gripe" I might have is the sheer amount of information available and the problem remembering where and what I've seen for retrieval.

This may seem like a silly question but I'm having a problem deciding where to start if we do go ahead with A5. That is, do we develop a desktop app first or a web app? It doesn't seem that obvious to me.

I've read somewhere that one can develop hybrid desktop/web apps but I'm not sure where one starts and finishes. We have a medical equipment hire/sales company, with several depot locations. The database is currently used on our office LAN but we want to be able to use it in each depot as well and we are having all sorts of problems getting FileMaker to do this in a workable manner.

I'm hoping someone can give us some pointers to head us in the 'right' direction. It seems as tho' A5 can do the job, just where do we start? All or any suggestions will be appreciated.

Ron S
    Last edited by webcommerce; 05-15-2011, 09:08 PM. Reason: correct spelling

Re: Where do we start with A5 development of a database?? Desktop/Web/?

Desktop is easier. But if you have web experience go for it. A lot of guys with a web background take to Alpha web like a duck to water.
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

with several depot locations
      Based on what you just asked, you would be best with a web type app. This also gives you the option to have a desktop app in the office as desired and people from in the field/home/other can log in also as needed.

It can be done as a desktop, but what you asked is not IMHO the best way.

You may get a great deal of a head start speaking to Steve Wood or Alpha at IADN about the prototype/framework Steve Developed and I would suggest SQL.

If I were developing what you said, it would be sql, Steve's framework, security, server, and duplicate your tables from Filemaker as best you can. The build you forms/grids/web pages and reports needed.

Sounds easier than it sounds. Normal! Right?

Now, see how others respond. They may do better?

As Peter said Desktop is easier(to build).
      Last edited by DaveM; 05-15-2011, 09:46 PM.
      Dave Mason
      [email protected]
      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Ron,

Check my website and join us for the free Friday Noon Roundtable. We discuss anything-Alpha. Love to hear some new voices.
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

What Dave said. Multiple physical locations, sans some other infrastructure to tie them together, almost always mean you want a web application.

Keep in mind too that if you think that part of what you want is really a desktop application, much of what you build for the web side can also be presented in a desktop application; things like grids can be put on your desktop app, reports can be the exact same in both cases, etc.
          -Steve
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
            Desktop is easier. But if you have web experience go for it. A lot of guys with a web background take to Alpha web like a duck to water.
            Thank you Peter......This is excellent advice, and appreciated. My web experience is limited to actual websites where I do have some small expertise. However, that's not database. I understand the concept of the desktop approach but after reading more forum discussions I am still having a problem visualising how to tie this in to web interface for remote site access. Maybe some one else will be able to clarify this for me?

Ron S

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
              Based on what you just asked, you would be best with a web type app. This also gives you the option to have a desktop app in the office as desired and people from in the field/home/other can log in also as needed.

It can be done as a desktop, but what you asked is not IMHO the best way.

You may get a great deal of a head start speaking to Steve Wood or Alpha at IADN about the prototype/framework Steve Developed and I would suggest SQL.

If I were developing what you said, it would be sql, Steve's framework, security, server, and duplicate your tables from Filemaker as best you can. The build you forms/grids/web pages and reports needed.

Sounds easier than it sounds. Normal! Right?

Now, see how others respond. They may do better?

As Peter said Desktop is easier(to build).
              Thank you Dave. From this I have gathered that the easiest (??) is not necessarily the best way to go .. I will certainly check out your suggestions. I did look at Steve's framework, but really didn't understand quite what it was able to do for us. I'll go back and look at it again .. maybe ask some questions?

You will perhaps forgive me for saying this is all pretty clear for you experts in A5. I'm finding it harder to get my head around what A5 can do for ME. There is so much information available it seems difficult to find the particulars that are applicable to our requirements.

I have the road map in my head, it's the directions I'm having a problem with!!

Ron S
              Ron S

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
                Ron,

Check my website and join us for the free Friday Noon Roundtable. We discuss anything-Alpha. Love to hear some new voices.
                Thank you .. I hope to see you there!

Ron S

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Workings View Post
                  What Dave said. Multiple physical locations, sans some other infrastructure to tie them together, almost always mean you want a web application.

Keep in mind too that if you think that part of what you want is really a desktop application, much of what you build for the web side can also be presented in a desktop application; things like grids can be put on your desktop app, reports can be the exact same in both cases, etc.
                  Thank you Steve for your time. I now am concluding the web approach is the starter. I really don't understand the difference in design strategy between the desktop and the web - prepared at this time to work on blind faith in expert opinion. Just I would like to have an inkling of what I'm getting into. Maybe more reading will give me further clues?

For you - and everyone who has answered my question - I am impressed with the obvious willingness to help out a novice in all this. To the extent I'm now firmly committed to going with A5.

Thank again. Ron S

Comment

Ron

I came from a very strong Filemaker background and am now moving everything over to Alpha. Feel free to contact me if you want some info on that process and the "gotchas" you might encounter. I am only dealing with web apps, so I can only comment on that aspect of Alpha...but I certainly can give you a Filemaker to Alpha perspective.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by gregincolumbus View Post
                      Ron

I came from a very strong Filemaker background and am now moving everything over to Alpha. Feel free to contact me if you want some info on that process and the "gotchas" you might encounter. I am only dealing with web apps, so I can only comment on that aspect of Alpha...but I certainly can give you a Filemaker to Alpha perspective.

Greg
                      Hello Greg,

I'm really 'bowled over' by the generosity of this community, yours included. Thank you for your kind offer. I will keep that in mind. I'm currently looking into Alphtogo's template concept and thinking that would make a good starting point.

Ron S

Comment

Ron

I HIGHLY recommend the AlphatoGo template. I used it this year to create an online registration system......it helped me process over 31,000 registrations over a 3 month period. It gets you up and running EXTREMELY quickly. Steve Woods is also a tremendous resource for learning Alpha. He went WAY above and beyond the expected level in terms of support for his product. I cannot speak highly enough regarding his professionalism and helpfulness!!

Please let me know if you have any Filemaker to Alpha questions.
                        Greg

Comment

From history, changing from filemaker to alpha is like most things. FORGET FILEMAKER and start new. Only bring any data you need with you.

I do mostly desktop and have used filemaker, there is no comparison between the two except they both hold data.

The addition of web based is a big plus for alpha and it is going to carry them into many areas that filemaker is laughed at. It is not easy, although easier than most other ways out there. At least you do not start with a blank sheet of paper. I guess that is what rad is all about. When using clipper, we did the writing in something like notepad and had to compile the code(drink a cup of coffee or a pot sometimes) and run it before we saw a result. With alpha, you basically see what you did real quick.

I believe what we are all helping you with right now and in your future, you will return to others later when you "got it".
                          Dave Mason
                          [email protected]
                          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
                            Ron,

Thanks Steve, have sent you a pm re the Roundtable.
                            Ron S

Comment

I should revise my website, make it easier to contact me. The Contact Us page works for that, or the forum at http://forum.alphadevnet.com for general questions. or my email is steve at alphatogo.com.

The Friday webinars are under the Webinars link, upper right. Just click the link around Noon Pacific Friday to be connected. Anyone is invited. We cover technical topics, business topics or just bs for the hour if that is what happens.
                              Steve Wood
                              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Working...
                              X