Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Issue with Runtime environment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue with Runtime environment.

I have developed a couple of applications for a client who wanted a course management system for one of their clients. Some time later they asked to develop a similar but slightly different application for another client. Since they also liked this one, the next question was to develop an application for the rest of their clients. This all happened over a period of one year and the last one is operational since a couple of days. In between I was asked to develop an invoicing application so that the client can invoice courses completed in any of those three applications. The invoicing application is also used for general invoicing by manually entering invoice details. Courses are invoiced by pressing a button in the appropriate database. The required invoicing details are assigned and stored in the invoicing database. Up to now the applications are managed on one PC but that needs to be changed to a multi user environment.
    Now, when setting up a network optimized environment I ran into an issue that certain tables are shared between the invoicing database and the other databases. See attachment for an overview.
    This seems to be a problem and the applications involved crash with an Unknown DOS Error, indicating that the involved table is in another database/folder.
    The invoicing application works properly as that contains the original tables.

I wonder if anybody knows how to solve this problem?

Thanks,
    Attached Files
    Jo Hulsen
    Dommel Valley Solutions
    The Netherlands

Re: Issue with Runtime environment.

Jo, if these are all working together, you will probably have to put the tables in the same database. They don't have to be in the same Folder.
    In Control Panel, add a Table.
    See our Hybrid Option here;
    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Ted, thanks for your reply.
      So if I understand correctly, instead of using 4 databases those applications should be merged to one database and the applications are separated by the fact that they reside in different folders?

Thanks,
      Jo Hulsen
      Dommel Valley Solutions
      The Netherlands

Comment

Jo,
        You CAN use 4 separate databases. If each is shadowed and there are shared tables but in separate folders, you need to specify the folder locations of the shared tables in the other shadowed databases.

We have numerous databases using our "Client" tables. the client tables are in the "casereg" folder. after we shadow our "Medicaid" database (which contains tables from our "Client" database), I go into the shadowed "Medicaid" database and change the location of the "Client" tables so that they point to the main shadowed "Casereg" folder and NOT to the subfolder within "Medicaid" . It is tedious, but it can be done.

Tom

Comment

Jo, as Tom says, you can use 4 separate Db's but it is a bit tedious to maintain.
          I was under the impression that the applications were not intended to be separate, so your presumption is correct. Sorry for the misunderstanding if that isn't what you are after.
          If you are intending to swap between discrete applications then the folders are not important, but shared tables across apps - for the sake of your sanity - are best in one place.

A method I am working on at the moment is that a number of apps can be loaded onto a server, and depending upon the Regestry Key for a particular app being there or not, the link will appear in a Menu and fire off that app. The tables are all in one place.
          See our Hybrid Option here;
          https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
          You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Tom,
            So, if I understand you correctly your "casereg" folder contains the client tables and is actually a separate "Client" database?
            Now that you have explained the need to change pointers in the shadowed databases I understand why I got the errors.
            I don't think it is all that tedious since it only concerns 3 tables in 3 databases.

Thanks very much,
            Jo Hulsen
            Dommel Valley Solutions
            The Netherlands

Comment

Ted,
              I wish it was one single application serving several clients but, as I mentioned before, each application (client) has slight differences due to demand.

Thanks,
              Jo Hulsen
              Dommel Valley Solutions
              The Netherlands

Comment

Jo,
                I need to re-shadow my database tomorrow when I get back to the office. I will take a snapshot of what Alpha creates as a shadow, and then I will take another snapshot of what I did to make it useful to me. As Tes said, it is a bit of a pain, but it really does work for us.

Tom

Comment

I am not sure if I can help here, but I do one shadow to a server on one machine using a url(not a drive letter). I can then copy that whole shadowed copy to any other machine with the same type access to that server and it is ready to go.

I better explain: My runtime is installed in the shadowed folder so there is no confusion. If I am shipping the app to a company, I have already set the path in the shadow. If they download it from a site and do a "do it yourself", the bootstrap explains how to set it up enough that any IT(except really dumb ones) can make it go just fine.

Why create a z: drive and go through all the hassel on each machine when you can have them type in something like "//server1/thedata/etc." Well, or something like that and they only have to do it on one machine, one time. Each copy of the shadow contains all that information..

Am I wrong?

Alpha copies all, dd's, ad's etc and anything else you tell it to. It also makes a path dbf for each table.

Also, as long as you connect the tables to a database, the folder does not really matter. I would never do that. All my tables are in one folder and sometimes there are 3 or 4 apps(not usually) in that folder. Remember too that you can open another adb from your current db. If I were developing an app where 2 to however many companies were using the same app, I like to keep those companies in the same tables and make the changes for each company in those tables, such as extra fields, forms, reports, etc and etc.

I have 3 companies operating out of one db now and they don't ever see the other companies data. Some forms, reports and etc. are a bit different. It can be done with planning.

No, I am not ahead of anyone here. I am behind a lot of people here and I know it.

I don't think it is all that tedious since it only concerns 3 tables in 3 databases
                  This started out as one and then went to 2 and now 3 and tomorrow???
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave,
                    You are most certainly helping me.
                    It sure looks like you have been following a similar path. Your approach looks very interesting to me.
                    I have 4 databases already installed and operational. One of those is the central invoicing application and the other 3 db's use the central customer table and also write invoice lines to the invoice header and details table. It is very likely that I am not grasping the concept of things but I don't see how this can be done in one DB as long as the other 3 db's are there. I could consider merging those 3 DB's but the point is that everything is duplicated and modified to meet customer demand.

I understand what you said about the server path. You explained that your runtime is installed in the shadowed folder. Is that to preset the path to the DB? I have currently installed the shadowed DB's in the "Shadows" folder under the runtime.
                    Jo Hulsen
                    Dommel Valley Solutions
                    The Netherlands

Comment

Working...
                    X