Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Programming Puzzle 10 - Sweets on a budget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Programming Puzzle 10 - Sweets on a budget

Your sales manager is headed to the candy store and needs your help figuring out how much money her purchase will require. When she first visited the store she bought one pound of jellybeans and two pounds of chocolate for $2.00. A week later, she bought four pounds of caramels and one pound of jellybeans paying $3.00. The next week, she bought three pounds of licorice, one pound of jellybeans and one pound of caramels for $1.50. Now she wants to buy one pound of each of the four candies. How much money will this cost?

Instructions:

a) you may assume these ridiculously low prices have remained fixed;

b) write an xbasic script that solves the puzzle;

c) your script should display your solution in a message box on screen;

d) your script should be exported to a text file and attached to your answer here.

Good luck.

PS - Credit to Creative Computing Magazine

Re: Programming Puzzle 10 - Sweets on a budget

I first tried to solve this algebraically with pencil and paper. I ended up proving that 1.5 = 1.5.

Then I tried XY line charts and plotting intercepts, which resulted in x = .5 and y =1 but that didn't help me with how many jellybeans are in a pound of chocolate .

I next tried using my graphing calculator and creating matrix's but alas my matrix was not properly dimmed.

So I gave up and wrote a brute force approach using for...next loops.
    Attached Files
    Andrew

Comment

So I had a typo in my script

Line 61 should have been
      Code:
      IF 1 * vJellybeansN + [COLOR="red"][B]2[/B][/COLOR] * vChocolateN = 200 THEN
      Corrected script uploaded
      Attached Files
      Andrew

Comment

Very nice!

Turns out there are multiple pricing schemes that fit the puzzle criteria.

Comment

To Tom and everyone,
          I think lot of people would be interested to solve this manually in less than 5 mins first even before start to program. The best way I could think to solve this puzzle is to use Matrix and my favorite "rref" function.
          Step 1:
          Set up matrix:
          [ 1 2 0 0 2 ] ' first digit refers to jelly, second - chocolate, third - caramel, forth - licorice
          [ 1 0 4 0 3 ] ' fifth - total amount paid
          [ 1 0 1 3 1.5 ]
          [ 3 2 5 3 7.5 ] ' last row is total number of each item and total amount paid (not necessary, just used to make four row because we have 4 items)

1st row means 1 jelly + 2 chocolate = $2
          2nd row means 1 jelly + 4 caramel = $3
          3rd row means 1 jelly + 1 caramel = 3 licorice = $1.5

after using calculator or can use internet to solve above matrix with rref we get
          [1 0 0 4 0]
          [0 1 0 -2 0]
          [0 0 1 -1 0]
          [0 0 0 0 1]

check the last row - all 0 means nothing costs $1 --- which proves there is no valid answer to this question..

If there were some answer then the solution would look like this:
          [1 0 0 0 5]
          [0 1 0 0 6]
          [0 0 1 0 7]
          [0 0 0 1 8] ' 5,6,7,8 are just arbitrary numbers....

Comment

Thanks, Pratik.

Must be something wrong somewhere, cause here's a list of valid solutions.

Comment

I know there wasn't a unique answer to this problem but was assuming that there wasn't any.. I will research and come back soon...

Comment

hi, back again,,
                I found my mistake. Since I was trying to solve really fast I mis-calculated the total amout paid that is $6.5 instead of $7.5
                now according to my method above my new rref answer is
                [1 0 0 4 1]
                [0 1 0 -2 0.5]
                [0 0 1 -1 0.5]
                [0 0 0 0 0]

Now that makes sense that there are lot of solutions to this problem.
                Now the solutions are:
                jelly = 1 - 4x
                chocolate = 0.5 + 2x
                caramel = 0.5 + x
                licorice = x

So, as you can see, you can pick any value of x and there is your solution (infinity.......).
                Now x will work with negative numbers too but you guys are smart to pick it as positive and less than 1.5 as you paid max $1.5 when buying licorice...

Pratik

Comment

puz 10 attempt.

puz 10.txt

Comment

Working...
                  X