Alpha Video Training

Thread: Alpha 5 Stops Responding All the Time

Real Name
    Nick

Default Alpha 5 Stops Responding All the Time

Hello all

Recently, I have been having an issue with Alpha 5. Seemingly at random, Alpha 5 will stop responding. Perhaps I will click Save, or tell it to open a new grid, or something, and it will simply stop responding. I have tried removing patches. I tried getting the newest patch (both the regular one and the alternate build version). Nothing resolved the issue, so I uninstalled and reinstalled A5. Yet, the problem persists.

I'll keep this short to not overload you. Has anyone run into this before? Anyone have any suggestions? What other details can I provide you?

Thanks

Update:
    I did a little more testing and have found that I can cause this to happen in a very easy fashion. I created a new database, opened the Web Projects Control Panel. From the panel on the left, I keep repeatedly clicking on the options (A5W Pages, HTML pages, etc.) and after about 10 - 15 seconds, Alpha 5 locked up. It never comes back, or I never wait long enough. I have waited at most 5 - 10 minutes.
    Last edited by njw1314; 06-13-2011 at 04:38 PM. Reason: New, relevant information

Real Name
    Subroto

Default Re: Alpha 5 Stops Responding All the Time

Hmm..time to upgrade your PC ? I got freezes with my netbook...

Real Name
    Nick

Sorry, brand new computer:
    Dell Optiplex 980
    Intel i7 870 - 2.93GHz
    8.00 GB RAM
    64-Bit Windows 7 Pro

Any other ideas?

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

so what does task manager say is going on?

Also what antivirus are you running? Been known to cause performance problems alot.

are you using an online backup?

Something's out of synch - I use an XP and a win 7 I5 - each with great performance...
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Ken King

Yes, I've been having save problems for about a month. I'm on an older version 10.5 Build 3674_3627. I was on this version for a long time before I started having the Not Responding message. I have to End Task to start working again. I can get the error message fairly consistently by doing the following:

If I open more than one component and try to do a Save As
    If I open more than one component and try to do a Save Page to create an A5W page

Work around:
    Before I do a Save As or Save Page, I close all tabs except the Control Tab (including the Web Project Contol Panel tab). I can then open the component and do a Save As.

Real Name
    Nick

The Task Manager says that Alpha 5 is not responding. It hovers around 12-13% of CPU and whatever memory it had when it locked up.

I am using COMODO Antivirus. I turned it off and still had the issue.

I am not using an online backup.

Other than the it locking up, the performance is good. On occasion (very rarely) I get error messages relating to scripts (I think). I haven't been using A5 long, so I'm not too sure, though. Next time I get one, I'll get a screenshot.

Currently I am using build 4309_3702. I had been using the most recent earlier, but like I said I reinstalled it this afternoon. I also get Unhandled Exception errors on Live Preview as described in a thread from last Friday. If you think those are related, I will go into more detail.

Real Name
    Nick

Anyone have any suggestions? I think it is clearly an issue with my computer and Alpha 5 (or others would have indicated similar issues). From my perspective, I'm not sure what else I can do to Alpha 5, I mean I have already re-installed it. However, I doubt it is an issue with the computer itself, the thing just came out of a box three weeks ago. Aside from Visual Studio, Alpha 5 is basically the only thing on it.

I hate to beg, but at this point I would try just about anything. I have work that needs to get done, and having A5 lock-up every ~15 minutes is quite troubling.

Thank you

Update:
    I made a small Access (2010) database that has 1 table. I added three records to it in Access. Saved and closed it. Then I opened A5 and made a new, empty database. Next I created a new AlphaDao connection to my Access database. I then opened the Web Control Panel and added a Read-Only Grid with my new connection, saved the grid and hit Live Preview. The attached image is the error I received (COM Error.png). The other two are errors I get in another database. UI_DLG_BOX.png comes up every now and then when I hit Live Preview and Unhandled Exception.png comes up every time I use Live Preview in that database.

Anyone see these before?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by njw1314; 06-14-2011 at 02:06 PM.

Real Name
    Nick

So I made a very small database with 1 table and a couple records and just for fun I added two grids to the project. I was hoping that someone could try out the clicking on things steps I listed towards the end of my original post with this and see if they have problems.

I'm living with this as best I can; I don't click too fast, and I save as often as I can. However, to be honest, I think such an existence is ridiculous. I mean, a freshly (re)installed program on a brand new computer ought to work properly.

Any guesses would be appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Real Name
    John Berry

I don't see anything in the database; I assume it's a blank database and you just want me to try clicking on the A5W then Images and such right? I did that and it seems okay. I then created a blank test A5W page and it worked with no problem.

Hope that helps

-John

Real Name
    John Berry

I just noticed your post from yesterday, I think there is a problem using Access 10, let me try to find it.

Real Name
    John Berry

nj, I can't find the article or post. I remember it was in the WIKI but I can't find it again. It was something to do with creating a new DSN if you're using Access V10

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

You didn't send enough to test. The access database is not included.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Nick

Jberry, is the wiki entry you are referring to this one: http://wiki.alphasoftware.com/Grid+C...on+Crash+V10.5? There is a thread related to Access 10 and Unhandled Exceptions and I also have issues related to that, but I think [hope] that they are unrelated to this.

Al, I'm sorry that I didn't include the database, I could have swore I included it. In any case, just before I left work on a whim I tried out Alpha Five in Safe Mode and this issue did not happen (though I still encountered the problem in the linked thread). So, as I was in denial of, it is definitely something related to my computer that is causing the issue.

I have still encountered the issue with my anti-virus (Comodo) turned off. Tomorrow I will uninstall it and see if that makes a difference. For some reason I want to guess that this may be related to video drivers / software. There are two processes that were not running when I was in Safe Mode (both related to the ATI Catalyst whatever it's called). But the issue being related to video is just a guess.

I'm open to any and all ideas about things I could try. I want to track this down; (1) it's annoying, (2) it may save someone else some time later on.

I greatly appreciate all the help!
    Last edited by njw1314; 06-15-2011 at 11:18 PM. Reason: typo

Real Name
    John Berry

NJ, yes, that's the one I was referring to. I see we were both in on that thread too. I wish I could help more because I know how maddening it is but I'm out of ideas and I'm no expert either. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

-John

Real Name
    Nick

Good and bad news!

The Good
    I uninstalled my anti-virus (apparently just disabling it didn't entirely disable it) and I no have a much much more difficult time making Alpha 5 lock-up! Looks like most of the problems were caused by my anti-virus.

The Bad
    I can still get it to lock-up, but now the I can consistently replicate the problem. Further, I think that all the ways in which I have been able to make it lock up are related. Details below.

When I am editing a grid component's Properties, if I go to any of the following properties Alpha 5 will lock-up once I click the little ellipse button (...) to open the editor.

In Customization if try either 'No records found' message or 'Total records' message text and any of the options in the Freeform Edit Regions section. If I'm not mistaken, all of these properties open the HTML Editor, correct? My hope is that this is only related to the HTML Editor.

Update: From the View menu, if I go to either Debugger or HTML Editor it locks-up as well.
    Update 2: So, as per this thread I think my problem is related to the DHTML Editor Control. I had the control installed, so I tried to repair it but this did not help. So next I removed it to see what would happen. Surprisingly, A5 does not crash with then, but I get the following error and I'm quite certain that the HTML Editor does not work properly.

Script:UI_DLG_BOX:@=HTMLEditorDLGTitle line:37
    f=
    ole.create("DEGetBlockFmtNamesParam.DEGetBlockFmtNamesParam")
    Could not open OLE object
    '.DEGetBlockFmtNamesParam.DEGetBlockFmtNamesParam'

On the upside, with the DHTML Editor Control not installed, the Debugger does not make Alpha 5 crash and appears to work properly (it opens without error messages).

I tried installing the DHTML Editor Control again and I used the .BAT file described in the linked thread, but neither solved the problem.

Alpha 5 still locks-up when I go to the above mentioned Properties when editing a Grid, though. So with or without the DHTML Editor Control, I'm still in quandary.

Any thoughts?

Al, good call on the anti-virus!
    Last edited by njw1314; 06-16-2011 at 03:18 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Great. Now do a search on this board for DHTML and see what others have done.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS

Real Name
    Nick

The best resource I could find about DHTML was this thread: http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...or-edit-pages.

I followed all the directions in it, but I still couldn't get it to work. So I decided to re-install Alpha 5 again. I uninstall it, uninstalled the DHTML Editor, and then used CCleaner to clean up the Registry. Then I let Windows do some updates and restarted. Afterwards, I installed Alpha 5. Sadly, I still have the same problem.

I have a question related to uninstalling/reinstalling Alpha 5, though. I didn't have to re-enter my License. I was expecting that I would need to re-do that since I used CCleaner to try to cleanup the registry. However, I suspect that it may not have removed all the needed entries? Am I on the right track there? Am I missing any steps in this process? That is, should I manually be removing the registry entries?

Thanks a bunch!!

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

When A5 is uninstalled, some A5 files remain in the registry which is why you did not need to re-enter the License #. FWIW, I have experienced some lockups as well but not very often. Pressing the tab key to quickly (more that 1 p/sec) seems to cause the tabbing from field to field to skip fields. I must tab delibertly slow in order to keep from skipping. This problem hasn't always been the case. It even happens with AlphaSports. I use Norton 360. I could uninstall that and see if the problem persists.

kenn

Real Name
    Peter Johnston

NJ, I had an interesting experience when I first started using A5.. Not sure if it will help you out.
    I run on a dual monitor environment. Originally I was using the main monitor as the A5 dev screen, and had moved my properties screen to the second monitor (this way I could see all the data on the main screen and the additional properties on the second screen). However,when I bought a bigger second monitor, I decided to move the main development screen onto it and then I could not see any of the other windows that were being popped up (including the Properties and Wizard dialogues). I struggled with it, until one day I moved the dev screen back to the main monitor and when I opened the Wizard it popped up on Screen 2).

To cut a long story short. I may be wrong. I suspect that the popups remember where you last placed them with reference to the calling screen, so is it possible that your popups are appearing off display. Not sure how you rectify this. But in my case the act of moving the dev window back to the main monitor fixed it. Of course, I no longer move the main dev window.

My 2 cents!

Real Name
    Nick

**SEE UPDATE BELOW**

I'm pretty sure that it is not a problem with dual monitors, though I have them. Alpha 5 stops responding entirely when I try to open the HTML Editor.

I have read through every page I can about Alpha 5 and the DHTML editor as well as this MS page about it. I have removed the DHTML Editor Componenter, reinstalled it. I have completely removed Alpha 5 (uninstall and manually cleaning up the registry). I have reinstalled Alpha 5. I also used the batch script indicated in this post. Oh, I also made sure that Windows 7 is fully updated. Sadly, none of these things have helped.

For a different approach, is there a way to have Alpha 5 use something other than the HTML Editor? I know you can right-click and tell A5 to open certain things in a different program. But what about for Grid Properties that open the HTML Editor?

I'm making do as best I can, but eventually I will get to the point where I need to use something that requires the HTML Editor.

I'm tempted to install a virtual machine on my computer and see if I have troubles with Windows XP (I'm guessing it would work just fine). Perhaps I'll reinstall Windows 7. After all, I didn't really do much to it and I know from experience that Dell occasionally installs goofy things on them. But these are my last resort options. Does anyone have any other ideas before I go to these lengths?

p.s. I'm sorry if there is a double-post here, my first post didn't appear to take.

Update:
    Well this is rather embarrassing and quite confusing as well, but good I suppose. All of the things that I was having trouble with appear to be working now! However, I am unsure of what I did. After I made this post I downloaded and installed Oracle Virtual Box and confirmed that Alpha 5 works just fine on a virtual copy of Windows 7 I loaded onto it. My memory is a little fuzzy on when I was playing around with these files but I have a guess as to what the solution to the problem was.

While messing with the DHTML Editor Component, I copied the files DHTMLEd.ocx and TriEdit.dll from C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\DhtmlEd to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\Triedit as some page that I saw somewhere on the Internet was talking about how they should be in the latter folder while the default installation folder is the former. I'm not sure if that is the fix and I'm not about to go mess with these files to find out (you know, "make hay while the sun shines").

In any case, I want to thank everyone for all of the help and I want to apologize if any of my posts ever came across as negative. I hope that you can understand that there is a certain amount of frustration involved when troubleshooting issues. I'll keep you posted about this if anything new arises.

Thanks and see you around
    Last edited by njw1314; 06-17-2011 at 03:25 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Quote Originally Posted by njw1314 View Post
    I hope that you can understand that there is a certain amount of frustration involved when troubleshooting issues.
    We all understand that.. and it sure is easier after it's fixed...
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS

Real Name
    Bruce Rainwater

I'm having the same problem, sometimes hangs up after a few minutes, sometimes after several hours, get numerous reports from Norton about Alpha causing high CPU usage, new computer (this year), same thing happened on last computer, just added more memory(no change). Only thing that still works after hang up is program close (X) button, only good thing it it asks if I want to save work and saves correctly so I just close and reopen, big pain in rear. Hope V11 works better!
    Bruce Rainwater