Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha 5 Stops Responding All the Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha 5 Stops Responding All the Time

Hello all

Recently, I have been having an issue with Alpha 5. Seemingly at random, Alpha 5 will stop responding. Perhaps I will click Save, or tell it to open a new grid, or something, and it will simply stop responding. I have tried removing patches. I tried getting the newest patch (both the regular one and the alternate build version). Nothing resolved the issue, so I uninstalled and reinstalled A5. Yet, the problem persists.

I'll keep this short to not overload you. Has anyone run into this before? Anyone have any suggestions? What other details can I provide you?

Thanks

Update:
    I did a little more testing and have found that I can cause this to happen in a very easy fashion. I created a new database, opened the Web Projects Control Panel. From the panel on the left, I keep repeatedly clicking on the options (A5W Pages, HTML pages, etc.) and after about 10 - 15 seconds, Alpha 5 locked up. It never comes back, or I never wait long enough. I have waited at most 5 - 10 minutes.
    Last edited by njw1314; 06-13-2011, 03:38 PM. Reason: New, relevant information

Re: Alpha 5 Stops Responding All the Time

Hmm..time to upgrade your PC ? I got freezes with my netbook...

Comment

Sorry, brand new computer:
      Dell Optiplex 980
      Intel i7 870 - 2.93GHz
      8.00 GB RAM
      64-Bit Windows 7 Pro

Any other ideas?

Comment

so what does task manager say is going on?

Also what antivirus are you running? Been known to cause performance problems alot.

are you using an online backup?

Something's out of synch - I use an XP and a win 7 I5 - each with great performance...
        Al Buchholz
        Bookwood Systems, LTD
        Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
        Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
        Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
        When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
        "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
        Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Yes, I've been having save problems for about a month. I'm on an older version 10.5 Build 3674_3627. I was on this version for a long time before I started having the Not Responding message. I have to End Task to start working again. I can get the error message fairly consistently by doing the following:

If I open more than one component and try to do a Save As
          If I open more than one component and try to do a Save Page to create an A5W page

Work around:
          Before I do a Save As or Save Page, I close all tabs except the Control Tab (including the Web Project Contol Panel tab). I can then open the component and do a Save As.

Comment

The Task Manager says that Alpha 5 is not responding. It hovers around 12-13% of CPU and whatever memory it had when it locked up.

I am using COMODO Antivirus. I turned it off and still had the issue.

I am not using an online backup.

Other than the it locking up, the performance is good. On occasion (very rarely) I get error messages relating to scripts (I think). I haven't been using A5 long, so I'm not too sure, though. Next time I get one, I'll get a screenshot.

Currently I am using build 4309_3702. I had been using the most recent earlier, but like I said I reinstalled it this afternoon. I also get Unhandled Exception errors on Live Preview as described in a thread from last Friday. If you think those are related, I will go into more detail.

Comment

Anyone have any suggestions? I think it is clearly an issue with my computer and Alpha 5 (or others would have indicated similar issues). From my perspective, I'm not sure what else I can do to Alpha 5, I mean I have already re-installed it. However, I doubt it is an issue with the computer itself, the thing just came out of a box three weeks ago. Aside from Visual Studio, Alpha 5 is basically the only thing on it.

I hate to beg, but at this point I would try just about anything. I have work that needs to get done, and having A5 lock-up every ~15 minutes is quite troubling.

Thank you

Update:
              I made a small Access (2010) database that has 1 table. I added three records to it in Access. Saved and closed it. Then I opened A5 and made a new, empty database. Next I created a new AlphaDao connection to my Access database. I then opened the Web Control Panel and added a Read-Only Grid with my new connection, saved the grid and hit Live Preview. The attached image is the error I received (COM Error.png). The other two are errors I get in another database. UI_DLG_BOX.png comes up every now and then when I hit Live Preview and Unhandled Exception.png comes up every time I use Live Preview in that database.

Anyone see these before?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by njw1314; 06-14-2011, 01:06 PM.

Comment

So I made a very small database with 1 table and a couple records and just for fun I added two grids to the project. I was hoping that someone could try out the clicking on things steps I listed towards the end of my original post with this and see if they have problems.

I'm living with this as best I can; I don't click too fast, and I save as often as I can. However, to be honest, I think such an existence is ridiculous. I mean, a freshly (re)installed program on a brand new computer ought to work properly.

Any guesses would be appreciated.
                Attached Files

Comment

I don't see anything in the database; I assume it's a blank database and you just want me to try clicking on the A5W then Images and such right? I did that and it seems okay. I then created a blank test A5W page and it worked with no problem.

Hope that helps

-John

Comment

I just noticed your post from yesterday, I think there is a problem using Access 10, let me try to find it.

Comment

nj, I can't find the article or post. I remember it was in the WIKI but I can't find it again. It was something to do with creating a new DSN if you're using Access V10

Comment

You didn't send enough to test. The access database is not included.
                        Al Buchholz
                        Bookwood Systems, LTD
                        Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                        Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                        Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                        When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                        "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                        Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Jberry, is the wiki entry you are referring to this one: http://wiki.alphasoftware.com/Grid+C...on+Crash+V10.5? There is a thread related to Access 10 and Unhandled Exceptions and I also have issues related to that, but I think [hope] that they are unrelated to this.

Al, I'm sorry that I didn't include the database, I could have swore I included it. In any case, just before I left work on a whim I tried out Alpha Five in Safe Mode and this issue did not happen (though I still encountered the problem in the linked thread). So, as I was in denial of, it is definitely something related to my computer that is causing the issue.

I have still encountered the issue with my anti-virus (Comodo) turned off. Tomorrow I will uninstall it and see if that makes a difference. For some reason I want to guess that this may be related to video drivers / software. There are two processes that were not running when I was in Safe Mode (both related to the ATI Catalyst whatever it's called). But the issue being related to video is just a guess.

I'm open to any and all ideas about things I could try. I want to track this down; (1) it's annoying, (2) it may save someone else some time later on.

I greatly appreciate all the help!
                          Last edited by njw1314; 06-15-2011, 10:18 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

NJ, yes, that's the one I was referring to. I see we were both in on that thread too. I wish I could help more because I know how maddening it is but I'm out of ideas and I'm no expert either. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

-John

Comment

Good and bad news!

The Good
                              I uninstalled my anti-virus (apparently just disabling it didn't entirely disable it) and I no have a much much more difficult time making Alpha 5 lock-up! Looks like most of the problems were caused by my anti-virus.

The Bad
                              I can still get it to lock-up, but now the I can consistently replicate the problem. Further, I think that all the ways in which I have been able to make it lock up are related. Details below.

When I am editing a grid component's Properties, if I go to any of the following properties Alpha 5 will lock-up once I click the little ellipse button (...) to open the editor.

In Customization if try either 'No records found' message or 'Total records' message text and any of the options in the Freeform Edit Regions section. If I'm not mistaken, all of these properties open the HTML Editor, correct? My hope is that this is only related to the HTML Editor.

Update: From the View menu, if I go to either Debugger or HTML Editor it locks-up as well.
                              Update 2: So, as per this thread I think my problem is related to the DHTML Editor Control. I had the control installed, so I tried to repair it but this did not help. So next I removed it to see what would happen. Surprisingly, A5 does not crash with then, but I get the following error and I'm quite certain that the HTML Editor does not work properly.

Script:UI_DLG_BOX:@=HTMLEditorDLGTitle line:37
                              f=
                              ole.create("DEGetBlockFmtNamesParam.DEGetBlockFmtNamesParam")
                              Could not open OLE object
                              '.DEGetBlockFmtNamesParam.DEGetBlockFmtNamesParam'

On the upside, with the DHTML Editor Control not installed, the Debugger does not make Alpha 5 crash and appears to work properly (it opens without error messages).

I tried installing the DHTML Editor Control again and I used the .BAT file described in the linked thread, but neither solved the problem.

Alpha 5 still locks-up when I go to the above mentioned Properties when editing a Grid, though. So with or without the DHTML Editor Control, I'm still in quandary.

Any thoughts?

Al, good call on the anti-virus!
                              Last edited by njw1314; 06-16-2011, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X