Alpha Video Training

Thread: Random Tab Stops or Hit and Miss Tab Order

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Default Random Tab Stops or Hit and Miss Tab Order

For quite some time Ive been having problems with the tab stop order not working correctly. In my app, the tab order skips two fields, i.e., it goes from field 32 to field 35. I even put code on the OnDepart event of field 32 to give focus to field 33 but it still goes to field 35 before going to field 33.

I tested the problem by creating a new database from the Inventory Template, opened the vendor form in design mode to view the tab order. Then in view mode, focus is on the first field and tabbing from one field to the next produces weird results. It randomly skips any given field. One time it might be field 2, another time it could be field 5.

Perhaps someone could create a new DB as I did above and try tabbing. I'm using build 4369-3712 but this has been happening for the last 4 or 5 patches.

I also open the Customer form in Alpha Sports and found that the tab order goes from field 11 to 13, skipping field 12 .
    Last edited by forskare; 06-14-2011 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Additional Info
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Default Re: Random Tab Stops or Hit and Miss Tab Order

Have you checked your field rules for any Skip settings?

The only time I've had any issues with tab sequence not working was when using field objects that were defined as a ComboBox. Whenever I used the Tab key, the tab order worked correctly. However, as best I recall, the ComboBox objects were skipped over if the Enter key was used instead. (In my case, the field was also linked to global variables but I'm not sure if that was part of the issue or not.)

I checked Alpha Sports and don't see the same thing but my version is older and I'm leaving it there for now because that's what my customer is using.
    Last edited by CALocklin; 06-15-2011 at 12:32 PM.

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

The first thing I did was check the field rules. There are no skip rules set. I thought perhaps the issue was only in my app but after trying Alpha Sports and creating a db from a template, I ruled that out. I also thought the problem could be my keyboard but using the app with RT on my office computer does the same thing.

Thanks for checking,

kenn

Real Name
    John P.

this is very interesting, i'm having the same issue however mine is related to CALocklin's post. The comboBox is causing a skip when the Enter key is pressed but works correctly when using the Tab key. Is this normal operation? Why would a tab object be skipped for one case but not the other?

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Quote Originally Posted by hov333 View Post
    this is very interesting, i'm having the same issue however mine is related to CALocklin's post. The comboBox is causing a skip when the Enter key is pressed but works correctly when using the Tab key. Is this normal operation? Why would a tab object be skipped for one case but not the other?
    No, It's not normal. Mine is a type-in field with a dropdown list. the only way I could get it to "half ways" work was to code the OnDepart event of the field to give focus to the next field in the tab order. However, even with that, it still skips but then obeys the code and gives focus to the next field in the tab order.

kenn

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Hey, Kenn.

I thought a type-in field with dropdown list was the same thing as a combo box?

-- tom

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
    Hey, Kenn.

I thought a type-in field with dropdown list was the same thing as a combo box?

-- tom
    My fields are neither a dropdown list or a combobox. They are defined as a lookup field based on a table and I apologize for not making that clear.

From A5 Help:

A data field displayed as a list box accepts only values that are in its choice list. A data field displayed as a combo box accepts both values in the list and new values entered by the user. These images show a list box in regular and combo box formats. In the Tool Box, there is a Combo Box tool and a List Box tool. The difference, as far as I can tell, is how they 'look' and operate but yet they accomplish the same thing.

After any of these fields are created, the structure can be changed from type in to list box to combo box and so on with each structure looking and behaving a little bit different. Because of that, I'd say they are not the same.
    Last edited by forskare; 06-18-2011 at 12:55 AM.

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Michael Humby

Could this simply be that the 'Tab Stop' tick box is not enabled in the properties of the field object? See attached

Michael
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

No, The box is checked and the tab by example shows it next in line.