Alpha Video Training

Thread: Help! Error 1097 and error 1027 on update indexes!! 35 appliance techs waiting!

Real Name
    Perry Williams

Default Help! Error 1097 and error 1027 on update indexes!! 35 appliance techs waiting!

My business is on hold!!

I cannot update my indexes.. I get error 1097 or 1027..

I have made copy of table, closed a5, changed name, opened up and still error..

Also got "cannot add compound index" when I try to make new index entry!

Help!

Willing to pay for your time.. 800-473-7799

Perry Williams
    800-473-7799

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Default Re: Help! Error 1097 and error 1027 on update indexes!! 35 appliance techs waiting!

Run A5_CHECKINDEXESDIALOG() in the interactive window. If you find problems you may have to delete the .cdx file for that table and recreate the indexes from scratch.

Real Name
    Perry Williams

Default Re: Help! Error 1097 and error 1027 on update indexes!! 35 appliance techs waiting!

I moved server.. My Netgear ReadyNas was causing some problem.. I will have to solve that issue laster.

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Quote Originally Posted by perry9999 View Post
    I moved server.. My Netgear ReadyNas was causing some problem.. I will have to solve that issue laster.
    Sounds like a permissions issue. But please let us know how you solve it.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Perry Williams

Apparently, a file was corrupt. I deleted indexes completely, then went back in, and re-entered each index manually. That worked. However I seem to continuously have "corrupt indexes" errors on workstations. I have my server set to Re-index all each night, but I have never been able to solve the corrupt index issues. I have replaced server, network hardware, and several problematic workstations, but problem still occurs randomly a few times a day. Also, size is not changing much, but desktop application seems to be slowing down more and more.. Now takes 35-40 seconds to start Alpha5v10.5.. All other programs work great. No network issues outside of Alpha..

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

but problem still occurs randomly a few times a day. Also, size is not changing much, but desktop application seems to be slowing down more and more.. Now takes 35-40 seconds to start Alpha5v10.5..
    Maybe you need to bite the bullet and switch to MySQL?

Real Name
    Perry Williams

Peter, I dabbled with SQL and had a few problems with it and backed off.. In your opinion, is that a much more stable platform? Does Alpha5 work with SQL relatively bug free? And probably the most important question since I don't know you at all.. Is your opinion worthwhile? (Sorry if that's offensive, but like I said, I don't know you.. You could be as un-trained as me!)

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Perry, yes, that comment was offensive and unwarranted. It's time for me to dust off the instructions and figure out how to add someone to my "ignore list" here. Too bad, really, haven't used it in a long long time.

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Does come in handy at times. At the very top of the forum you should see a Settings menu. Edit Ignore List can be found there.

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Is your opinion worthwhile? (Sorry if that's offensive, but like I said, I don't know you.. You could be as un-trained as me!)
    Perry

Research is important and can only be done by you.

While the number of posts is not a true indicator of value, your number is 2 digits and Peter's is in the high 4 digits.

The second thing you can do is click on the user's name and view their posts and evaluate their questions and answers.

How you handle this thread will determine a lot about how your questions are handled in the future.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

"Certified" Alphaholic Ted Giles's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ted Giles

Perry, you have done something which the old cow hands say you should never do.
    The Forum is voluntary, and advice given usually from a position of knowledge.
    You may ignore it, try it, test and reject it or come up with another solution. If you do the latter it's nice to share.
    Your question could have been phrased a little more delicately, and the number of posts from Peter - who is a trusted Moderator should have given you a clue as to his knowledge.
    Suggest you start over.
    If you need to eat crow, it's best done while it's warm.
    Don't make enemies by mistake is what my old dad always said.
    Ted Giles
    Example Consulting - UK

http://ec12.example-software.com//
    See our site for Alpha Support, Conversion and Upgrade.

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Thank you all for your voices of support and reason. But actually I wasn't even offended, strange as that may seem. I'm not particularly thick-skinned, but I am generally one that doesn't take offense easily. But thanks again, I do appreciate the positive support.

Real Name
    Nehru L. Albania

Perry,

Arrogance is deadly. You have a choice between developing good habits and developing bad habits. A bad attitude cancels all other positive skills.
    Be nice. Expect excellence from yourself and from others.

SEEK ADVICE FROM SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE AND ASK FOR HELP!
    THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR EFFORT.

DON'T TALK DOWN TO THOSE WHO HELPING THIS COMMUNITY.

BE CONSISTENTLY PERSISTENT, BUT NO A PEST!
    BE AGGRESSIVE, BUT NOT OPPRESSIVE!
    "Knowledge without application is useless."

Real Name
    perry

RE: "the most important question since I don't know you at all.. Is your opinion worthwhile? (Sorry if that's offensive, but like I said, I don't know you.. You could be as un-trained as me!)"

Hey everyone.. This is Perry9999, but using a new login, since perry9999 no longer works.. (nice!)..

Regardless,

I did not mean to offend.. I soon noticed the 8,000+ posts under the name, and realized I was not dealing with some random advice from a yahoo like me.

Unfortunately, since I updated my email address on Perry9999, I am somehow locked out of the system under that name. (or someone was so offended they locked me out)

But anyway.. Tom and all others, I am sorry you were offended by my comment. I was not trying to be insulting to Peter. I was just trying to determine in a somewhat joking manner whether he was a guru, or a 2-month user that started with SQL and knows no other. I did not wish to base the next several weeks of my life converting to SQL on a one line response by a virtual unknown (I had not noticed the # of posts at this point). If my attempt at a slight bit of levity was misunderstood, my mistake.

Peter, Thanks for your response. I hope you are being honest, and not just covering for me.. I am sorry for the offense. I will eliminate any wise cracks or attempts at humor in the future.

-Perry

"Certified" Alphaholic Ted Giles's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ted Giles

Well fielded Perry.
    You might be off to a new start now and be contributing in your own right soon.
    Being locked out of this Forum would be a real hassle if it happened to me, that much I do know!
    Ted Giles
    Example Consulting - UK

http://ec12.example-software.com//
    See our site for Alpha Support, Conversion and Upgrade.

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Quote Originally Posted by perry99 View Post
    Peter, Thanks for your response. I hope you are being honest, and not just covering for me.. I am sorry for the offense. I will eliminate any wise cracks or attempts at humor in the future.
    Perry,

I am being honest and I wasn't offended. There is no need to eliminate wise cracks or humor. I can be reasonably sarcastic myself. I guess what others saw in your post was an over the line insulting manner. Again, I didn't take it that way.

BTW: Forum Moderators don't have the ability to lock anyone out of the forum - at least as far as I know. So perhaps that was just a system glitch (or conceivably an action by Alpha staff)?

---
    Moderators do have the ability to manage/move/merge/edit and delete posts. Usually this is only done when posts are in the wrong forum or someone inadvertently posts a duplicate. Alpha's policy is to tread very lightly on this forum - something that the moderator's respect and observe.
    Last edited by Peter.Greulich; 08-31-2011 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Extend explanation.

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

With respect to my Sql experience, it is somewhat limited. I do use MySQL but would not consider myself to be a MySQL expert by any means. However, it is common knowledge that SQL is the gold standard of the db realm. The reputation of all SQL products to my knowledge is that they are as close to bullet proof in terms of data/index corruption (and security) as can be had. SQL is considered far superior to the aging and frankly, ancient, dbf standard. Generally speaking mission critical applications should be SQL based. But don't go by my word, search on SQL in this forum and try Googling SQL vs DBF.

Here is one interesting thread:
    http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...116-SQL-vs-DBF

Real Name
    perry

Peter,

Thank you.

Now, if I could be so bold..

I understand the centralized serial aspect that would give it inherent stability. However, that also leaves me wondering if there is a speed trade off?

Is it simply a matter of setting up proper indexes to speed up forms and browse results? When I was "dabbling" I would frequently find myself waiting 30-90 seconds while the sql server dished up 1000's of records vs dbf seemingly instant results?

I am admittedly a novice on sql, and not that good at Alpha either, so this is a big undertaking for me.

Thanks for any input.

-Perry
    Last edited by perry99; 08-31-2011 at 01:56 PM. Reason: You just answered my first question!

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

I haven't used SQL on the desktop - only with the WAS. I have been told by a very knowledgeable authority that on the desktop, sets using active-link (SQL) tables are slow. I suspect that any slowness you experience may be the result of the intermediary dbf linking tables. As you probably know, you can use xdialog to connect directly to SQL bypassing active or passive link tables altogether. The WAS, of course, doesn't rely on linking tables to SQL and there are no speed hits, only performance improvements.