Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

win7 x64 v10.5 shadow database update probelm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

win7 x64 v10.5 shadow database update probelm

We recently purchased v10.5 because we are adding a new application to our older application. We are running the application in v7 and when we switched to v10.5 developer version we had no problems until we changed something in the application and then forced a shadow database update by changing the network optimization with a new version number. We got all sorts of error messages as it was trying to update the shadow db and the application would not open. To repair the problem we just create a new shadow db from the server to the win7x64 machine and everything is ok again. The network number shows up as the new one and we can use the application no problem. The server is win server 2003 32bit and the other two machines are xp pro 32bit. The network optimization works fine in either runtime or developer v10.5 on our xp pro machine. We have installed the latest patches and we did try both 10.5v developer and runtime on the win7x64 machine and both act the same way with error messages and a damaged db that will not open.

Re: win7 x64 v10.5 shadow database update probelm

Can anyone help with this problem? Alpha Tech support told us that the permissions are probably the problem on the x64 machine, but i have checked the folder and file permissions, they all look OK. Can anyone help with this problem, we can not be the only ones with xp pro and win7 x64 machine on the same network?

Comment

I have a shadowed adb with mixed workstations (7-64 and xp-32) - works fine
      it does sound like a permissions issue

what was the error message?
      Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
      972 524 8714
      [email protected]

Comment

Win 7 handles permissions in a different way.
        There is a load of stuff on the forum regarding the problems, but I'd check;
        a) the location of the shadow. Suggest it should be outside of the Program Folders
        b) run as administrator the first time
        c) version numbers.

Another point is that you mention the Shadow. There will be two different Shadows. One will be XP based, the othet may well be X64 based. They may not get along too well.
        If you are accessing the data only, then I suggest you try having two RT deployment versions (XP built and Win7 64 built) but with a common dataset.
        The data should be OK.
        See our Hybrid Option here;
        https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
        You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Originally posted by martinwcole View Post
          I have a shadowed adb with mixed workstations (7-64 and xp-32) - works fine
          it does sound like a permissions issue

what was the error message?
          The error message we get is;

"Could not create shadow table for
          \\evt.local\d$\compuniq1\data\merg_set.set
          A possible cause of this problem is that the table does not have a data dictionary
          (i.e. there are no .ddd, .ddm or .ddx files for this table) or that the data dictionary is corrupt."

To repair corrupt data dictionaries open database and select File, database compact. We get the same message for 13 other sets as the refresh proceeds and then the last error message says;

"Error loading c:\COMPUNIQ1\data\menu.dbf the system cannot find the path specified
          \\evt.local\d$\COMPUNIQ1\data\menu.dbf"

Sorry I could not do scene shots, I am working remotely from my other office.

Thanks
          Stephen

Comment

Ted,
            Thanks for replying, The location of the shadow on the win7 x64 machine is in the root in a separate folder and it was run as an administrator.
            I do not understand about the two different shadows you mentioned, I am not really a programmer. I have done some work in A5 and developed our first DB in A4, but our current application was developed by a consultant we hired, so I know enough to make me dangerous. I did search the forum about the win7 permissions and could not find any specific info. I checked the permissions on the folder with the shadow db in it and they are set to full control for all groups.
            Thanks
            Stephen

Comment

Stephen, I took your apps to be separate.
              One I took to be an XP derivation, the other a Win7 derivation.
              That was the reason for the comment.
              If something is developed in XP using 10.5, one would imagine that it it would also work in the same way on Win7. I have found this to not necessarily be the case. (I'm currently fighting my way out of corners with a V5 XP to 10.5 Win7).
              Couple of "rules of thumb" when deploying - forgive me if you already knew this.
              1) the Dev Build version and the Runtime must be the same release. You will get a world of pain if they are different. The RT is essentially a stripped down version of the Dev app. so logically they must be the same to work together.
              2) If you have rebuilt the whole application in 10.5, you will need to deploy the 10.5 Runtime on all of the current PC's - XP and Win7.
              It sounds like the ducks are not all in a row at the moment. The missing files is a symptom of different build and run versions.
              If you are in the UK send me a private message and a contact number.

Comment

I would start by creating a shadow on the x64 machines in this manner:

1. go to the control panel and search for UAC - drag the slider to the bottom
                2. be sure you have administrative rights on the pc
                3. install the original full install exec for runtime you got from Alpha
                4. open it, close it
                5. install the latest patch you want to use
                6. open it close it
                7. open it and drill to the app on the server, and then install a shadow copy
                972 524 8714
                [email protected]

Comment

Martin,
                  That is pretty much the procedure I used when first loaded it up on the win7 machine. I tried several different ways to load it and I tried two different folders on the win 7 machine. I even copied everything to a new folder on the server and created the shadow databases from that folder to the win7 machine. It still reacts the same way.
                  Thanks
                  Stephen

Comment

Stephen, please confirm.
                    All of the PC's have the same RT version and Patch?
                    The Server has the app. developed with the same version number as the RT one is?
                    I presume you have the Dot.Net framework installed on the PC's?

The latest Version is, I believe
                    V10.5, Build 4369, Addins 3712, C Compiler V1200
                    The RT will have the same numbers.
                    What Martin says is pretty much the only way to go, however if you are using Active Directory, it's as well to make sure that the access is also applied to Alpha.

Comment

Ted,
                      I will have to wait to tonight when I get back to the other office were the machines are to set both of the machines to 10.5 runtime and I will check the build numbers then. The app is on the server, but it was developed in V6 and is running in V7 on the xp pro machines. Alpha looked at the app and said that it would have no problems running on V10.5, that was before I bought v10.5 so maybe I can take that with a grain of salt. Well we have already found several different things between v7 and v10.5 that have affected the why the app runs. Not huge issues, I was able to figure out why we were having problems in V10.5 and I found either work arounds or changed some things to make it work the way we needed it to. I will load it up the way Martin suggested and see how that works tonight.
                      Thanks Again for your help.
                      Stephen

Comment

You are more than welcome.
                        I've found that nearly all of the previous versions are - with a few annoying exceptions - pretty upwards compatible.
                        You got the answer to the question you posed. The Alpha team are not likely to have misled you, but perhaps they could have pointed out a few of the finer points of upgrading - especially platforms as well as versions!
                        The "running in V7" is likely to be the problem.
                        Shout when you have found the answer or ask away again.

Comment

I recall also having to turn off widows firewall - you may also have a firewall or antivirus blocking you - but it is almost certainly a permissions issue if Alpha will not install or the WS and/or the shdow will not create.
                          972 524 8714
                          [email protected]

Comment

Ted and Martin,
                            I found and fixed the problem last night with our v10.5 and win7. I checked all the permissions and they were all OK. I took Alpha Sports and put it on the server and network optimized it to the win7 machine creating a shadow db. When I refresh the shadow db Alpha Sports got corrupted and would not open on the win7 machine. So I decided to check the server shares and I found the share were we have our data stored on did not have a security tab on the properties window and the other did have the securities tab. So I looked at how the two shares were mapped and I found one was mapped to \\evt.local\D$ (alpha stored db) and the other was mapped to \\evtserver\G$. The G share had a security tab and the D share did not. I then moved the app over to the G share and created the shadow from that drive. When I refreshed the shadow on the win 7 machine it worked fine no problems. So I disconnected the D mapped drive and reconnected it to \\evtserver\D$ and everything works fine now. I do not know what the difference is with the shares, but obviously it makes a difference. The D share was setup by the guys from Dell that installed the server and I added a second Raid array and mapped the G share myself. I am sure when I mapped the drive to the workstations that I just browsed to the drive to map it. Well any ways it ended up being some kind of problem with the permissions and the mapped drive security.
                            Thanks for your help.

Comment

Thanks for posting a result.
                              Bl$%^&* Conmputers!

Comment

Working...
                              X