Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How can I create an Access database (file, tables and fields) within A5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I create an Access database (file, tables and fields) within A5?

Hello,
    I'm struggling to find out how an Access database can be created within Alpha Five. So far, I've been able to create the .mdb file and a table:

Creating the mdb file:
    Tools --> External Databases --> Database Explorer --> press the + button --> Specify the connection string + Build button --> give the database a name and press the Create Database button

Creating the table:
    Tools --> External Databases --> SQL command window --> use the command: CREATE TABLE table_name
    (I don't know if there is an easier way to create the Access tables, within Alpha Five).

But so far I have been unable to create the fields in the table. I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Regards,
    Felix

Re: How can I create an Access database (file, tables and fields) within A5?

I can't imagine why you'd want to do this.Do you intend to use Alpha as a front end to
    an Access backend?
    But you might try this:create a native table with all the desired fields in Alpha.Then in the control panel highlight that table and under file export you will be offered the choice to
    use Alphadao to create the table in a remote database.I've never used this to create a table in Access,but it works very nicely in mysql and others.
    John

Comment

Avoid MS Access if you can. That may sound a little harsh, especially from us, who has used MS Access for many years and has many Access based applications in circulation and market MS Access add-in modules, but sooner or later, and hopefully sooner, you will realize Access is not the way to go. Instability, version conflicts and runtime problems was overwhelming us each time a Windows or Access version changed. (Microsoft makes both???)
      We moved to Alpha and use either the dbf, or preferably sql or the FREE mysql. Using mysql with Alpha produces a very stable, secure and impressive application. We are still learning Alpha and I am sure there will be other suggestions posted here from very experienced users, but I would bet not many will suggest using Access as a data container.
      J.R.
      Epigate Software, LLC.

[email protected]
      http://www.epigate.com
      sigpic

Comment

John,
        I'm evaluating the capabilities of Alpha Five and I wanted to see if it was possible to create non-dbf tables within Alpha Five. So I started with Access mdb and was then going to try it with mysql. I have tried to follow your suggestions but have been unable to find the feature that enables exporting the dbf file. Could you indicate which menu options (or highlight-and-rightclick) allow a dbf file to be exported to a remote database? Thank you.

Regards,
        Felix

Comment

John,
          I think I've found it under File --> Export Data. I thought that the option would only export data, but it seems it also creates the table. In any case, I thank you and J.R.Noe for your suggestions about avoiding the Access format.

Regards,
          Felix

Comment

Hi Folks,

I'm hoping my query fits within this thread as I can't find anything more appropriate - my apologies in advance if not, and maybe a moderator will shift it to a more suitable thread.

I'm new to A5, was following along on instruction videos, but have been away for a couple of months so now trying to get my head around it again.

I've been seeing how Access db Northwind is used a lot in the videos to teach web apps, with the idea to use SQL as the database of choice. What I can't work out is where do I start if I want to go with SQL for a web based app.

Do I make up tables in Access to export into an SQL backend? That seems to be going against the advice in this thread. Yet experienced A5 users are using Northwind examples to teach A5 .... I find it a bit confusing, and cannot see anywhere the exact steps to take.

eg. 1. Create mySQL database - OK I know how to set one up with user, but my SQL knowledge is otherwise very limited.
            2. ??

How do I set up the tables in A5? I see .dbf is not the recommended choice.

or, do I use Access and create a connection string to develop from??

I can follow everything once the connection string is created but what is the ideal way to set up tables to store the original data?

I want to start building a db of my own as practice - I find this the best way for me to learn, but I need that very first step!!

I hope I'm making this clear ... as I say, I find this part difficult to get past. I'm hoping somone can gently eased my tired brain into a solution. Thanks.

Ron S
            Last edited by webcommerce; 08-30-2011, 06:31 PM. Reason: add explanation

Comment

Ron.
              Suggest you forget SQL and steer clear of Access until you have got your head around Alpha.
              DBF works well up to a point, and that point is a whole lot of users.
              The basics are the same though, you need to get a working system and Alpha is a first class Prototyping Tool.
              Once the Prototype is proven, look up on this Forum how to create SQL tables from the Alpha Tables. There is a way described in the WAS Forum.
              See our Hybrid Option here;
              https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
              You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Rida, Q&D method.
                Export to Excel or as a CSV and import to Access if you must.
                See our Hybrid Option here;
                https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Working...
                X