Alpha Video Training

Thread: Report Group Footer causes blank page

Real Name
    Robin

Default Report Group Footer causes blank page

I have tried all the solutions I could find - even one from 2004! I want to have my SDATE group footer justified to the bottom of the page, but when I do it causes a blank page. I checked shrink band in every region of the report, reduced the width of all the lines which the genie created - even tried printing it in landscape mode just to see if it made a difference (it didn't). The only difference so far, was not justifying the group footer to the bottom of the page.

What else might I try? The report is based on a single table. Each new SDATE group starts on a new page. When I added a PAGENO to the report it didn't count the blank pages.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Real Name
    Robin

Default Re: Report Group Footer causes blank page

I tried removing the SDATE Group Continuation Header and instead have the SDATE Group Header repeat at the page break - didn't work as I lost the full group header instead (only one line printed). But when I tried removing the continuation header altogether and didn't have the group header repeat, it worked. Now what do I do for a header if the report for each group is longer than one page?
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Real Name
    Jo Hulsen

Robin,

Instead of a group header I use a Repeating Detail Header.
    Work perfect for multi page groups.
    Jo Hulsen
    Dommel Valley Solutions
    The Netherlands

Real Name
    Robin

Hi Jo,
    That would probably work for the COA group that is a sub group of SDATE, since the detail follows there. But it is the header for the SDATE group that provides the report title that needs the continuation header. And that won't work with its own footer if that footer is justified to the bottom of the page. I wanted to print several statements at one time, each on its own page, but I may just use a button on the form to print the currently displayed statement instead. So far each statement has not been more than one page long.

Is it just me, or did these things work better in prior versions than they seem to in v10?
    Robin

Real Name
    Jo Hulsen

Robin,

I don't really experience any difference between versions. At times I check things in V9 only to find out there's no difference.
    Do the headers SDATE and COA need to be printed on each page?
    My first impression of the design is that I would do it a different way, but it's not the first time that I would be wrong!
    I have a report that is also based on two group levels. In the report only one group is defined.
    Once you have a group break on SDATE there's group break on COA too. This means that when the data are sorted in order of SDATe+COA, to be defined in the COA group properties, you only need one group in your report. The header info for SDATE is defined in the COA group header along with the COA group header info.
    The difference with your report are the SDATE totals in the group footer but to me that shouldn't be a problem
    Justifying to the bottom of the page is no problem.
    I recognize what you mentioned about blank pages in between. It has something to do with the page set up and line height.
    I cannot tell you exactly what it is, only that quite a bit of tweaking was involved when I ran into such issues.

If I can be of further assistance please let me know.

Regards,
    Jo Hulsen
    Dommel Valley Solutions
    The Netherlands

Real Name
    Max

Hi MoGrace,

I have found the 'Trim option if page overflows' seems to remove this blank page without removing any of the data. Might be worth a try.

Rev
    Wise Alpha once said said to me...
    ..."Change must begin first."

Real Name
    Robin

Here is a rather small screenshot of my report. A new page starts with each new combination of Statement Date and CC_ID and then the detail lists the charge items grouped by the account assigned for that date and vendor. I am using an intermediate table in a set to get both these values into the cc_items table so the report only needs to be based on this one table.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Robin

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by RevMK View Post
    Hi MoGrace,

I have found the 'Trim option if page overflows' seems to remove this blank page without removing any of the data. Might be worth a try.

Rev
    I was using the Prompt for overflow, but I will try that too - thanks.
    Robin