Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Joining tables? Or a set? And using a table for pictures.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joining tables? Or a set? And using a table for pictures.

I have a question about joining tables or creating a set. I have a main table with repair order (ro) as the primary key and the other table is for picture files. The main table I filled out to use as a sample database to build my app, in it there are several fields that I am not even sure will be used yet, I made them in case I had a need for them. I thought of breaking up the main table to make it easier to navigate thru and to put type of information in different tables. Such as using a table only for the pictures for the jobs. I am thinking that it would be easier to find record information and it may help with any performance issues (not that I know of any, but just thinking I should plan ahead in case there will be about 1000-2000 records added each year). All of the information in each table is related to one specific field the (ro) field. In the second table or if there more tables I want to link the records to the (ro) not every job will need pictures, so how do I do this in simple terms can I use the genie to join them? How do I make a new (ro) in the field in the picture table, does the field have to have the same name? I saw that it wants them to be the same type and size. Do I some how have it duplicate the (ro) value to the linked or joined tables? It does not matter to me if the field is the same name, just that I can see the value when they are linked together and know which record they belong to in the main table. I also want to be able to make a grid with information from both tables. the main table has about 40-50 fields the fields do not have a lot of information in them just mainly one or two words each, the picture table could have 2-20 picture files of jpg in them is what I am planning (another story I don't know if I should just make 20 fields to have in the picture table for that blank so that there is room for 20 files, or do I just have one that all the files go into? Never done this before) Would this be just fine to use one table or is it a good idea to break it up the way I am planning? The end result should only be returning back and average of 30-100 records at a time on the grid view because there should only be about that many jobs being tracked at any given time ( filtered by a value that will tell to show the records or not in the current grid based on whether or not the value they are completed --I assume thats how I would show only the current jobs, but that would be another post).
    Jerrod Sand

Re: Joining tables? Or a set? And using a table for pictures.

Are you storing the images themselves in the table or a reference to a full path where the images are stored. If the images are being stored in the table then you must decide how large you want your tables to be - try to figure out how large the images are. If they're small then the main table would be fine. If the images are large then you may have trouble displaying them in a grid AND the tables would get too big.

Further, is there more than one image per repair order? If so, then rules dictate that they should be stored in a related table... 1 repair order to many images for that repair order. Then your View might be used to access all data. Again, the images table could store the image itself or just a reference to the image.

You say 2-20 picture files of jpg - is that per record? If so, then you should use a related table. The fields might be RO, ROImageId, Imagename with the key being a combination of RO and ROImageId. If it's 20 Images for 1 repair order then it's 20 image records for 1 repair order... not 20 fields in one record - that would be unmanageable.

Hope that helps a bit.

Comment

yes the images will be stored in the table not just a reference. The images may vary in size,but I thought that in the image uploader that you could specify the output size? The one thing I noticed about the image uploader is it seemed to me that you can only upload one image at a time, so I was thinking that I may have to use the file uploader if they take 3-4 pictures with their phone then they can select them then upload them, but then the file size is not restricted is it? I want the users to be able to upload the images from either a digital camera or from their cell phones from a file on the computer whatever can make the whole idea of using pictures to help the employees the easiest way possible. I expect my app to be used from office computers and possibly from the employees phones. The picture part is just a tool for the employees to document and take a picture note of what they are working on to help them with their reassembly of the jobs. The reason it has to go into a table and be related to the record in the main table is that it will be easy to find any pictures that anyone has taken because it is not always the same person putting the jobs back together. So what you are saying is yes I do have to use a seperate table for the pictures and they would not be per record with each picture in a field or all the pictures in one field, but that they would each be their own record related to the field (ro) of the main table? Whatever it has to be is fine, but how do I get them to automaticly be assigned a number that will be related and linked to the main table? And what you are saying is that the table would only probably have two fields then?
      Jerrod Sand

Comment

I really need to know how to join the tables If the main table uses (ro) for the primary key and that really is the only field that can identify the record. How do I set up the second table for pictures if not every record uses pictures how do I link them? if I never had a picture table to begin with how should I set it up to be linked and record records from the grid with a key that will link them without the user adding extra information? Do I have to copy the main table and drop all the fields that I am not using? Then add the new fields? What will link them together and how will it do that automaticly? Forgive me yep I am still New.
        Last edited by paintacar; 08-07-2011, 09:17 PM.
        Jerrod Sand

Comment

Just waiting to see if anybody can help here.
          Jerrod Sand

Comment

Hey Jerrod,

This is one way I would get this done. Use the "File Upload - User Defined " instead of the Image Upload. I can't see that the Image Upload allows multiple files. The File Upload-User Defined does and you can check to see if the files are binary or not. The code below does not check for binary but that's easily added - all the information you need is in the comments for the function.

You'll need a table to hold your images. Two keys - 1 is the main RO, and the 2nd is just an autoincrement number. A 3rd field will be your image field - a BLOB field - and specifically a LONGBLOG field. I had no luck with just a BLOB field - maybe it was just me but when I changed the type to LONGBLOB I started getting data into the field.

Your "File Upload - User Defined" ajax callback will call the function below, which pops up the File Upload dialog and then processes each image you select, writing a record out to your new table.

Let me know if you need more detailed information. Lots more error checking is required, but this gets the upload and save done.

Code:
            function processSQLfiles as v (e as p)

'This function is called after the file(s) selected in the Upload Files dialog have been uploaded to the server.
            'The function is responsible for processing each uploaded file.
            'The passed in 'e' object contains these properties

'e.fileCount - the number of files that were uploaded
            'e.fileArray - a property array with one entry for each uploaded file
            'e.uploadProperties - Contains multiple sub-properties for all of the properties set in the Action builder.
            'e.rv  - Request variables
            'e.tmpl - pointer to the Grid definition
            'e.rtc - a pointer variable that contains run-time calculations
            'e.__si - state information
            'e.session  - session variables
            'e.rowNumber  - row number of the Grid row that has focus. If val(e.rowNumber) < 0, then it is a new record row.
            'e.part - either 'G' (for 'Grid')  or 'D' (for 'DetailView'). Test left(e.part,1) = "D" .or left(e.part,1) = "G"
            'e.primaryKeyArray - an array of primary key values for the current row's primary key. If the primary key is based on a single field (or record number in the case of a .dbf table), the array will have one entry. If the primary key comprises multiple columns, the array will have an entry for each column in the primary key.

'e._isLinkedGrid - .t. if the Grid is a linked Grid (i.e. it has a parent Grid)
            'e._linkValues = linking value. Contains a CRLF delimited list of linking values in this format: fieldname|type|linkingValue

'Each entry in the e.fileArray array has these propeties (where 'i' is between 1 and e.fileCount):
            'e.fileArray[i].file.characterSet - character set of the uploaded file
            'e.fileArray[i].file.contentType - MIME type (e.g. 'application/octet-stream')
            'e.fileArray[i].data - data that was uploaded. This will either be binary data or text data. Check the .file.dataType property
            'e.fileArray[i].fileName - filename of the file on the client machine
            'e.fileArray[i].encoding - For text files, specifies the encoding type
            'e.fileArray[i].file.dataType = Either 'text' or 'binary'

'If you want to send any Javascript back to the browser to execute after this event has completed, you can set this property:
            'e.javascript 
            'EXTREMELY IMPORTANT - The Javascript that is sent back to the browser is executed in the context of the IFrame that contains the File Select window.
            'Therefore, in order for the Javascript you send back to invoke methods of the Grid object, you must prefix all methods with 'window.parent'.
            'For example: window.parent.{grid.object}.refresh()

'You can set e.abort = .t. to abort the operation. If you set e.abort to .t. then you can set e.errorText to the text you want to display to the user.

dim newProdId as C
            dim cn as SQL::Connection
            dim myargs as sql::arguments
            dim sql as C
            dim flag as l
            dim cs as C
            dim count as N
            dim i as N

count = e.filecount

newProdId = e.primaryKeyArray[2]

cs = e.tmpl.cs.connectionstring
            if .not. cn.open(cs) then
                e.javascript = "alert('Error opening SQL Connection');"
                end 
            end if

for i = 1 to count
            	myargs.set("PId", newProdId)
            	myargs.set("PFId", i)
            	myargs.set("PImage",e.fileArray[i].data)

sql = "INSERT INTO tblProductFeatures SET ProductId = :PId, ProdFeatId = :PFId, ProdImage = :PImage"
            	flag = cn.Execute(sql,myargs)

if flag = .f. then
            		e.javascript = "alert('Error executing SQL Statement');"
            		end 
            	end if
            next i

e.javascript = "alert('All files processed');"

end function

Comment

Working...
            X