Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Word wrap on an xdialog button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Word wrap on an xdialog button

Is it possible to word wrap the text on an xdialog button?
    -----------------------------------------------
    Regards
    Mark Pearson
    [email protected]
    Youtube channel
    Website

Re: Word wrap on an xdialog button

Use the desired text in an image and insert the image in the button.

Comment

I had been wondering about this as well for a recent project. I stumbled upon a way to do it. It will cost you big bucks to find out.

Unless you live in Australia.
      Tim Kiebert
      Eagle Creek Citrus
      A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Just kidding.

Using owner draw syntax in the button definition you can create another line using {LF}. It has to be uppercase LF not lf. I had tried {lf} which is a regular xdialog command and it did not work so was going to put the idea aside. Then one time I wanted all caps in the button text and with the caps lock on ended up with {LF} and voila.

<%O={J=C,C}{C=Black}{F=Tahoma,12,B}{B=Gold}END{LF}SHIFT%14,4!endshift>

button_wordwrap.png
        Tim Kiebert
        Eagle Creek Citrus
        A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Thank Tim.

Well I meet the deal so far. being an Ozzie in this freaky world today is more than a good deal

I will share the result if it works. I have created a variable xdialog - variable in that it only shows buttons of the names people that are in a list. I want to keep the sze relative, but some firstname and surname combintaion is particular large, making a standard button size even larger. If I can wrap the text I can reduce the button standard etc

So far I can build an xdialog that will fit any number of buttons. It always fits to the number based whatever the table of names has. The size of the dialog changes based on the number of buttons.A good outcome for me. It will be an even better outcome if I can word wrap.

Attached are two pictures. You can see that that there is a difference in the number of names between them, but I built them with the same script. Word wrap will reduce the width which what I need

pic2.jpg pic1.jpg
          Regards
          Mark Pearson
          [email protected]
          Youtube channel
          Website

Comment

Thanks Tim - obviously crossed paths. I will give this a go
            Regards
            Mark Pearson
            [email protected]
            Youtube channel
            Website

Comment

Brilliant - see the result

Thanks again Tim

pic3.jpg
              Regards
              Mark Pearson
              [email protected]
              Youtube channel
              Website

Comment

Your welcome. Looks good.

And you qualify for the 'mates rates'
                Tim Kiebert
                Eagle Creek Citrus

Comment

My first instinct was to try {lf} in the button..of course it didn't work.. never thought of upper caps! I hate upper caps, but not in this instant. Good discovery ala Roentgen..

Comment

Originally posted by G Gabriel View Post
                    Good discovery ala Roentgen..
                    Yes it was. It was one of those geeky moments when you carefully look around to see that no one is watching and enthusiastically punch the air while uttering a hushed 'yessss'.
                    Tim Kiebert
                    Eagle Creek Citrus

Comment

In the end everything has to make sense.. I couldn't understand why the capitalization would make a difference... in some languages, older ones in general, capitalization matters..
                      so I looked to see if capitalization matters in any of the other xdlg commands? Doesn't seem to.. so why in {LF}? Well, come to find out, if you look in Owner Draw it show {LF} and shows it in caps ! Not that anyone would have made any notation of that specially so, since everything else is capitalized.... so, it still doesn't make sense but if it works that's all that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Clunes View Post
                        ....I will share the result if it works. I have created a variable xdialog - variable in that it only shows buttons of the names people that are in a list. I want to keep the sze relative, but some firstname and surname combintaion is particular large, making a standard button size even larger. If I can wrap the text I can reduce the button standard etc
                        So far I can build an xdialog that will fit any number of buttons. .....
                        And how's that looking thus far Mark?

Comment

Hi Ray,

I have achieved what I wanted to do. I was just trying to refine the whole thing into a db before I shared it. That said attached is the current status (still some work to do). Unzip and open. the autoexec will take to you the first xdialog. from there if you click close you go to the control panel.

Before you do simply click the clockon/off button. this builds an xdialog on the fly based on the number of staff. Click one of the staff buttons and they will be clocked on. Doucle click on the staff on site screen and you will see an xdialog built on the staff list on site. there are few other things in this that you can play with that will show the xdialog on the fly approach. Hope you can follow it all. I am terrible for comments so there none (sorry to the purists) In the main the the codes that build the xdialogs on the fly all start with trial. The way I build the xdialog is to create a text file with the codes which is called back and opened.

Note this whole thing is designed to work on a touch screen. all my test on a touch screen show pretty good results. If you click visitor button you will also see how I handle a keyboard

xdemo.zip
                          Regards
                          Mark Pearson
                          [email protected]
                          Youtube channel
                          Website

Comment

I think I have basically finished. I had issues with the refresh of the listviews so this attachment uses the built in list view genie which does not hav ethe same problem.

I would appreciate any feedback if you download and try. It is all designed to work using a touchscreen, but works jsut as well if you use a mouse.

xdemo.zip
                            Regards
                            Mark Pearson
                            [email protected]
                            Youtube channel
                            Website

Comment

Mark, you might want to allow Hyphens and Apostrophes in the names.

As in, "Guthrie-Giles", "Mainwairng-Smith" and "Mc'Donald, Mc'Tavish"

Is there a difference between the Clock Off actions? Clocking off a Task requires a Clock Off in the Staff on Site as well.

I can only have one task even though I have different time slots? Is there any reason I cannot fill my day with Tasks?

Very cool app!
                              Last edited by Ted Giles; 08-28-2011, 05:15 AM.
                              See our Hybrid Option here;
                              https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                              You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X