Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

I seem to continuously have "corrupt indexes" errors on workstations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I seem to continuously have "corrupt indexes" errors on workstations.

I seem to continuously have "corrupt indexes" errors on workstations. I have my server set to Re-index all each night, but I have never been able to solve the corrupt index issues. I have replaced server, network hardware, and several problematic workstations, but problem still occurs randomly a few times a day. Also, size is not changing much, but desktop application seems to be slowing down more and more.. Now takes 35-40 seconds to start Alpha5v10.5.. All other programs work great. No network issues outside of Alpha.. My database consists of about 12 tables, 5 sets, 300-500k records. Now using Readynas hardware server and 15 win7 workstations.. Any ideas?

One potentially bad thing? I am using Alpha5v10.5 desktop, and Alpha5v9 Application server.. Anyone know if that could mess with indexes?

Re: I seem to continuously have "corrupt indexes" errors on workstations.

My guess is that you have a problem with a network card or cabling on one of your workstations. Without any other information, I do not think mixing v10.5 desktop with v9 app server will be a problem, as long as the web app is developed in v9 in the first place.

Comment

Ideas / Suggestions

1) do not use "filtered" indexes

2) do not use index names that are longer than 10 characters

3) are oplocks on or off?

4) is your anti-virus program doing real time checking on reads and writes from / to the database folder? ( this is not necessary and greatly slows things down ).

5) mixing different versions of the desktop and the app server seems foolishly risky to me.

Comment

Tom,

1) I may be wrong, but my understanding was that the filtered index problem was solved long ago?

5) Speaking from personal experience, hybrid applications can work very well. I have one that uses v7 desktop w. v10 web with about 15 or more users pounding away at it daily.

Having said all that, I do know (also from personal experience) that dbf indexes can at times be problematic.
        Peter
        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
        https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Peter,
          1) I may be wrong, but my understanding was that the filtered index problem was solved long ago?
          Had not heard that. Suppose it may also depend on the specifics of the filter expression employed in the index def. These have always worried me because especially in a multi-user setting. I think they're problematic because when the "key" used in the filter expression changes wholesale changes must be made to the entire index list. All the records that were previously included must now be deleted, an entirely new group of records must be found and sorted. That's a lot of processing. What do you suppose happens when other users on the network are firing records to the table, and alpha tries to keep the indexes current while the filtered index itself is being re-built. The potential for cross linking and corruption begins to rise. Life's too short. KISS. No filtered indexes.

Comment

Tom,

1. I do not have filtered indexes

2. I DID have long index names, but they get chopped down to 10 characters at some point or another, causing problems in scripts and forms.. None have more than 10 characters now, and I THINK I have found all my xbasic or action scripting calls for old names..

3. I have set my ReadyNas with oplocks on, and with oplocks off.. Didn't seem to make a difference..

4. I use AVG Free Version antivirus, with default settings.. I don't see any options in this version for real time checking..

5. Yeah, I know mixing versions is tough, but I wrote so much xbasic into my web app, and pages do not work under v10. I haven't had time to convert/rebuild them. I was mainly asking if there is known issue with index handling between these.

In your opinion, is SQL the better choice going forward?

Comment

Garry,

If it was one workstation, wouldn't my issue happen on one specifc workstation (at least most of the time?) I replaced the two workstations that seemed to receive the most errors, and cabling to them too.

Comment

Yes, if it is a workstation. However, a corrupted index does not reveal itself immediately, making tracking down the problem a more difficult task. Furthermore, an intermittent problem can be even harder to track down. It can also be a network switch problem, which I had on one occasion, where one bank of 12 ports on a 24 port switch was finally determined to be the problem. I had a client where a we had problems almost every day with indexes getting corrupted. I forget exactly how I narrowed it down, but it was faulty cable. Since being fixed the client has had few if any problems for the last 3 years.

Comment

Perry,

4) (AVG) - I haven't used AVG in a long time, but seem to recall that it does include configuration options that permit you to "exclude" directories from real time checking. Suggest you investigate a bit further, and then disable real time checking from each workstation, and on the server.

(SQL) - sorry have no experience with them, to speak of. I've found DBF's to be reliable for the scale of database you are describing. Index corruption issues have almost always been the result of power outages or faulty hardware on the network.

Perry, I recently had a client who found his indexes getting squashed after doing an Alpha Five "backup". Are you using the built in backup routines iin Alpha Five? If so, you might want to search the board for message threads discussing it's use and the occasional problems that arise. Personally, I prefer the built-in zip routines, and use them instead.

-- tom

Comment

I have those too and have mentioned them in a separate thread. Very discouraging. As I mentioned, it manifests itself with child records going away. Rebuilding usually recovers but then client has re-entered resulting in double entries. Speculating about hardware would be unlikely to help--it's a large organization and I have no idea how you would even start to look at an errant workstation. When they're up they're all up.

Comment

Working...
                    X