Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How to Execute a UDF using Grid Data and Display it's Product within the Grid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Execute a UDF using Grid Data and Display it's Product within the Grid?

In my project I have defined a function called Profile_Into_Line(Member_Id) which creates a punctuated user friendly sentence by selecting data from the member's table fields.
    I want to display this sentence within the member's profile grid. (The function is compiled into the project's AEX file). The approach I've tried is:
    1. I've created a calculated field in the grid called Intro_line which initially equals "This is a calculated field"
    2. I've then tried to use the OnGridExecute function to assign the product of Profile_Into_Line(Member_Id) to the Intro_Line field.

The problem is I don't understand the syntax for communication between xBasic and grids. I've "looked around" inside the project's Xbasic produced by Alpha (as suggested in tutorials that stop short of connecting the dots) but it remains a frustrating mystery to me.

To get the Profile_Intro_Line function to execute on the Member_ID from the grid I've tried:
    Profile_Intro_Line(e.tmpl.field_info[1].Member_id)
    Profile_Intro_Line(e.tmpl.Member_id)
    Profile_Intro_Line(e.Member_id)
    Profile_Intro_Line(e.session.Member_id)
    Profile_Intro_Line(e.rv.session.Member_id)
    but none of these syntax attempts successfully retrieve the value of Member_id.

Similarly, I've tried to reassign the value of the field "Intro_Line" to "Hello" (in the absense of a working Profile_Into_Line() function) but no joy with the syntax there either. I've tried:
    e.tmpl.field_info[20].Intro_Line = "Hello"
    e.tmpl.Intro_Line = "Hello"
    e.Intro_Line = "Hello"
    e.session.Intro_Line = "Hello"
    e.rv.session.Intro_Line = "Hello"

Any suggestions on what I should be doing? In the absence of any proper educational documentation on how to apply Xbasic within grids, are there any simple working examples I could look at?

Re: How to Execute a UDF using Grid Data and Display it's Product within the Grid?

The missing link is to get Xbasic and javascript to work together.
    Look at the videos in section #56 on this page:
    http://news.alphasoftware.com/V10Preview/videos.htm

If you haven't seen these videos, you should watch them. They will move you along the learning curve rapidly.
    Jay
    Jay Talbott
    Lexington, KY

Comment

Re: How to Execute a UDF using Grid Data and Display it's Product within the Grid?

One of the problems with teaching and learning Alpha is that there are lots of different ways to accomplish anything. So, in trying to answer your question, I have to start out with "it depends". That's why solutions offered on this board usually start out asking a bunch of questions.

So, let me guess some answers to some questions and present one possible solution.
      For some solutions, it will depend on the backend database...dbf or SQL. For this particular solution, it doesn't matter.
      It matters if you want to save the value you enter in the grid or only display it. For this solution, the result is not saved.
      It matters if you want to display in a grid or a detail view. This solution is for a grid.
      It matters what your purpose is for what you are trying to achieve. In the case I'm showing, I have a long list of projects and I select one. This is to show which one is selected.
      The picture shows the result.

To achieve this, I put this in the OnBeforeExistingRowsRender event. It uses some Xbasic, some html tags and some CSS styles. (Yes, there is a lot to learn!)

Code:
      function OnBeforeExistingRowsRender as v (e as p)
      if e.rv.session.__protected__jobno = 0
      	vJobno =  "NONE"
      else
      	vJobno = alltrim(str(e.rv.session.__protected__jobno,8,0))
      end if
      e.html="<tr><td colspan=\"11\">Selected job number is <span style=\"font-size:11pt;font-weight:bold;\">"+vJobno+"_"+e.rv.SESSION.__PROTECTED__OWNER+"_"+e.rv.SESSION.__PROTECTED__CLIENT+"</span>&nbsp;<br /><hr></td></tr>"
      end function
      Attached Files
      Pat Bremkamp
      MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Here's another possibility.
        This is in a detail section of a grid
        It uses an SQL back end database
        I don't save this value in the grid

In this case, I have a function defined in the SQL named Friendly_name that looks like (the p_ variables are the inputs):
        Code:
         BEGIN
        	DECLARE v_friendlyname VARCHAR(50);
        	DECLARE v_nick VARCHAR(20);

IF p_nickname IS NOT NULL AND p_nickname<>'' THEN
        		SET v_nick = p_nickname;
        	ELSEIF p_firstname IS NOT NULL AND p_firstname<>'' THEN
        		SET v_nick = p_firstname;
        	ELSEIF p_middlename IS NOT NULL AND p_middlename<>'' THEN
        		SET v_nick = p_middlename;
        	ELSEIF p_salutation IS NOT NULL AND p_salutation<>'' THEN
        		SET v_nick = p_salutation;
        	ELSE
        		SET v_nick = '';
        	END IF;
        	IF p_lastname IS NOT NULL AND p_lastname<>'' THEN
        		SET v_friendlyname = CONCAT(v_nick,' ',p_lastname);
        	ELSE
        		SET v_friendlyname = '';
        	END IF;
        	RETURN v_friendlyname;
        END
        So, in the SQL statement I have added
        Code:
        FRIENDLY_NAME(LAST_NAME, FIRST_NAME, NICK_NAME, MIDDLE_NAME, SALUTATION)  AS DISPLAY_NAME
        Then, in the Label Properties for the field, put this CSS:
        Code:
        font-size: 10pt; color: #fafafa; font-weight: bold; background-color: #000080;
        Attached Files
        Pat Bremkamp
        MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Now, let's say you do want to save the value.

In this case, I have an SQL stored procedure that determines the next project number. This is in an Add only grid. In the OnInitialValueCalculate event, put
          Code:
          function onInitialValueCalculate as v (e as p)
          dim OK as L
          dim vErrorMsg as c
          dim cnx as SQL::Connection
          dim crs as SQL::ResultSet
          dim vSelect as c
          vSelect = "call get_next_project_number(@nextnum)"
          OK = cnx.open("::name::nfn")
          OK = cnx.execute(vSelect)
          crs=cnx.ResultSet
          e.newValues.project_number=crs.data(1)
          cnx.close()
          end function
          So, these three examples should help you get started.
          Attached Files
          Pat Bremkamp
          MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Thanks for those examples Pat. They're a bit advanced for my initial "baby steps" right now, but I hope to be referring back to them in detail very soon.

Jay, those tutorial videos are very helpful, but I've struck a snag trying to implement my first example test taken from videos 3 & 4 (my first "baby step"):
            I've used the Freeform layout Row Property for my calculated field Intro_Line to position an element within the grid:
            Test ELE2 is: <span id="ELE2"></span><br>

I able to use a button to execute an Xbasic function declaration...

function testIt as c (e as p)
            e._setElement.ELE2.value = "ELE2 has been set by button"
            end function

...which works fine. But when I try to achieve this automatically using Server-side Events...

function OnGridInitialize as v (e as p)
            e._setElement.ELE2.value = "ELE2 has been set OnGridInitialize"
            end function

...or...
            function OnGridExecute as v (e as p)
            e._setElement.ELE2.value = "ELE2 has been set OnGridExecute"
            end function

...nothing happens. Where am I going wrong?
            (My grid is a basic form to just display information with no Search or Detail View)

Comment

I believe that the problem is that you are mixing up server side events with client side events.
              Javascript works with client side events and Xbasic functions work with server side events.

I do not believe that Xbasic from Events (which is what you describe above) can be used directly with spans.

However, since an Xbasic callback function can return a javascript action, the same script that goes on your button should work on the Xbasic script.
              Make sure that your function returns the javascript like this:
              testIt = "document.getElementById('ELE2').innerHTML = 'ELE2 has been set by Xbasic';"

You probably don't need the quotes around ELE2 in the span id, either.

Hope this helps.
              Jay
              Last edited by Jay Talbott; 09-12-2011, 10:59 AM.
              Jay Talbott
              Lexington, KY

Comment

Hi Jay, I copied that syntax verbatim from the video tutorial.
                Test ELE2 is: <span id="ELE2"></span><br> placed in any free form area (above, below or within the grid) works fine when a button is used to execute the Xbasic function testIt described above (which is what the tutorial demonstrated). What I'm trying to do now is find out where to place the function contents so that it is executed automatically when the grid loads (without having to press a button, which wasn't demonstrated in the tutorial).

Where would you place e._setElement.ELE2.value = "ELE2 has been set." so that "ELE2 has been set." is already displayed when the grid appears?
                Last edited by CJMcGrath; 09-15-2011, 03:43 AM.

Comment

In the event called OnInitialValueCalculate, put in something like:
                  e.newValues.cfname = "Alpha"

which would stuff Alpha in the first name field.
                  You will have to modify this to your field name. You can hard code the value to go into the field, or use a variable derived from something else.
                  Hope this helps.
                  Jay
                  Jay Talbott
                  Lexington, KY

Comment

Hi Jay, nope, no help because OnInitialValueCalculate is not available for a Read only grid. (Remember my grid displays profile information only as a single record form with no Search and no Detail View).
                    My Server-side Events are limited to OnGridInitialize and OnGridExecute and few others that don't look applicable because there is no rows, search etc.

However, tonight I discovered (by chance) that you can place Xbasic directly into Free form areas anywhere on your grid (did I hear that mentioned way back on a video tutorial, but didn't get it?). The remarkably simple answer (but no doubt not the only one) to my original question above is:
                    Step 1: was correct, ie: create and insert the calculated field Intro_Line as a place holder on the grid in the required location for the sentence produced by the UDF Profile_Intro_Line()
                    Step 2: In the Row Properties Freeform template of the Intro_Line field, type in the following Xbasic:

<%A5
                    ?Profile_Intro_Line({data.Member_id})
                    %>

and presto! my first UDF (36 lines of code no less) came to life inside my grid!
                    (My discovery of {data.Member_id} was a stab in the dark by clicking the Data radio button in the Freeform template editor)

On reading the Ajax Callback Function Prototype I thought I should have been able to use e._currentRowDataNew.Member_id in the above code, but it didn't work. Why?
                    Any references or examples on e.things and how and where you can use them? (The simple solution I discovered hasn't advanced me at all with my understanding of grids and their e.things)
                    Last edited by CJMcGrath; 09-15-2011, 03:47 AM.

Comment

you can place Xbasic directly into Free form areas anywhere on your grid
                      Now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense, because you can do the same thing on an a5w page.
                      Thanks for reminding all of us. This is another great tool for our toolbox.
                      Jay
                      Jay Talbott
                      Lexington, KY

Comment

Working...
                      X