Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Invalid time result

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invalid time result

For some reason the script below does not return a valid time. I am simply wanting to add 30min to a char variable and then return it to same char variable with its new time. It alwys returns a time greater than 1hr. Can any see what I am doing wrong?

dim etr as c = "30mins"
    dim mytime as n
    dim mytime1 as y
    dim mytime2 as n
    if at("m",etr1,1) > 0 then

mytime = 30*60
    else
    mytime = val(etr1)*60*60

end if
    mytime1 = now()
    mytime2 = toseconds(convert_type(mytime1,"C"))
    mytime2 = mytime2 + mytime
    etr1 = totime(mytime2,11,2)
    -----------------------------------------------
    Regards
    Mark Pearson
    [email protected]
    Youtube channel
    Website

Re: Invalid time result

OK - I changed the now() for a5_timestamp() and it works fine. Somehow the toseconds() result is different with now(). Not sure why..
    Regards
    Mark Pearson
    [email protected]
    Youtube channel
    Website

Comment

now() returns a complete date-time value, you could use time("0h:0m AM",now()) to get the equivalent of a5_timestamp().
      There can be only one.

Comment

True Stan - but as I converted that to a shot time and then the toseconds() converts that, I would have thought it would be the same result.
        Regards
        Mark Pearson
        [email protected]
        Youtube channel
        Website

Comment

That bugged me so I had to figure it out.

The toseconds() function is the issue. It requires a format (per the Help file) of "h:m:s am/pm", or "h:m:s", or "h:m" but the calculation is giving it a format of "h:m:s d am/pm" where "d" is apparently decimal seconds. (I thought it was milliseconds but it's never greater than 99 so I guess it's decimal seconds.) Apparently the function wasn't made to deal with that and it's adding the decimal seconds as additional seconds. (This has been a pet peeve of mine for years - the "incompatibility" of many of the time functions. It seems like whenever I try to do time conversions in A5 it gets to be a real mess requiring all kinds of "contortions" - a.k.a. work-arounds for bugs that aren't really bugs just incompatibilities that will never be solved. I think this is definitely one that could be solved - just fix the toseconds() function so it can handle the "h:m:s d am/pm" format instead of making developers spend hours trying to figure out why it won't work so they can create a work-around.)

You could solve it for times prior to 1 pm with this:

mytime2 = toseconds( left( convert_type( mytime1, "C" ), 8 ) )

but solving it past 1 pm requires either converting the am/pm format to a 24 hour format first or eliminating the decimal seconds. I used the stuff() command to eliminate the decimal seconds because it was much easier:

mytime1 = now()
          converted_time = stuff( convert_type( mytime1, "C" ), 10, 3, "" )
          mytime2 = toseconds( converted_time )
          mytime2 = mytime2 + mytime
          etr1 = totime( mytime2, 11, 2 )

But note that the 2 for "decimals" in the totime() function only applies to decimal seconds (see the help file) and your format only specifies hours and minutes so there will be no decimals returned.

Note: This is why I'm creating an A5_Function_Notes help file of my own. It will include comments about things like this.

Comment

Wow - thanks Cal. I think your A5_Function_Notes file is a great idea.
            Regards
            Mark Pearson
            [email protected]
            Youtube channel
            Website

Comment

Building on (or subtracting from) Stan's suggestion of using the time() function.

The default usage of time() is based on the current time which is the same as returned by now() and the default format returned is just what toseconds() is looking for ("h:m:s" or "0h:0m:0s"), so .....

mytime2 = toseconds(time())

I do agree with Cal that the time and date functions can be anoyingly tricky to get the right combinations.

In this case however it seems like the long way around to take the time value supplied by now() and convert it by assigning it to a short time variable which then needs to be converted to a character which then needs to be massaged into the correct format for toseconds.

In this case the default usage of time() did the same job as now(), basically returning the current time. If you are 'stuck' with using a short time value(say it is a field in a table) then I would recomend using the time() function with the second parameter, time("0h:0m:0s",shorttimevalue). The help says the second parameter needs to be a T type but that was written before the Y type came into being. A shorttime value works there also.
              Tim Kiebert
              Eagle Creek Citrus
              A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Thanks Tim - just in time!
                Regards
                Mark Pearson
                [email protected]
                Youtube channel
                Website

Comment

Your welcome.

Wait, was that a joke. Are you making fun of me?
                  Tim Kiebert
                  Eagle Creek Citrus
                  A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Never entered my mind Tim. Eat some concrete and harden up mate!
                    Regards
                    Mark Pearson
                    [email protected]
                    Youtube channel
                    Website

Comment

Tim Kiebert
                      Eagle Creek Citrus

Comment

Working...
                      X