Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Embedded Browses on Tabbed Form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Embedded Browses on Tabbed Form

An alternative to tabs is a conditional object(really like tabs) with more abilities. Might want to look into that. Again you set a variable to each condition(1 variable and change it) you want to show. I totally dropped tabs for these. They are almost the same as tabs as they are layered on top of each other and I have been told they are really tabs but witout the tab on top. They seem to work better for all the apps I make and where they are needed.

Hope it helps- each button(no - they are not tabs) you see like weights, gears, etc just changes the value of the var and does a refresh.
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Stan
      How do I use the variable in the filter for the lookup. At the moment my filter the filter reads between(Product_Id,"520111","520399") .or. between(Product_ID,"520811","520895"). This determines what segment of the Products Table (BOM) is shown in the drop list on the embedded browse. The aim is to have all the different categories shown in the same order report i.e. Meat, Bread, Deli, Dry Goods, etc.

Stan
      I have done it and you are quite right, as always, it is messy :-
      ((Var->act_tab = "Loaves" .and. between(Product_Id,"520111","520399") .or. between(Product_ID,"520811","520895"))) .or. ((Var->act_tab = "Individuals" .and. between(Product_Id,"520111","520399") .or. between(Product_ID,"520811","520895")))
      and this is only 2 tabs out of 11. I am trying to think of a neater way and any donations will be appreciated. We will be in Rotonda, Florida during February 2012 and if you would like to drive down I will buy you a large glass of lemonade!
      Last edited by Ron Cooper; 09-14-2011, 05:27 AM.
      Regards
      Ron

The reward for work well done is more work!

Comment

DaveM
        Thank you for that, it is very similar to the old Superbase system of having a form with pages that were 'stacked'. When are you guys going to go metric, even dear old blighty is now almost metric. We have a few quirks especially with Timber(Lumber); you can still order 2 x 1 (50mm x 25mm) but it will come in metre lengths. The roads are still measured in miles (country miles are longer than town miles) but we buy our petrol(gas) in litres. I will never get use to measuring fuel consumption with so many litres per 100 kilometres.
        Regards
        Ron

Comment

Stan if this is a repeat I apologise, but my reply seems have to disappeared. Thanks for the solution and you are quite right it is a messy way of doing things, the filter now looks like this :- ((Var->act_tab = "Loaves" .and. between(Product_Id,"520111","520399") .or. between(Product_ID,"520811","520895"))) .or. ((Var->act_tab = "Individuals" .and. between(Product_Id,"520111","520399") .or. between(Product_ID,"520811","520895"))) and that is just two tabs out of eleven! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
          Regards
          Ron

Comment

This is an easy one - The label of one of my Tabs is "Fruit & Veg", but Alpha insists on using the "&" as a short cut control (I do not know the correct terminology). Is there a way of telling Alpha this is a literal?
            Regards
            Ron

Comment

, the filter now looks like this :- ((Var->act_tab = "Loaves" .and. between(Product_Id,"..........
              But what if the table had another field (t_type) and you populated each record with the text of the tab upon which the item should appear?

Then the filter could be

t_type = var->act_tab
              There can be only one.

Comment

Alpha insists on using the "&" as a short cut control
                This has been discussed before, why not practice your search techniques. (Also best to start a new thread when the question wanders off topic.)
                There can be only one.

Comment

All the best ideas are the simplest ones. Job done.
                  Regards
                  Ron

Comment

I have to keep it simple or I couldn't understand it.
                    There can be only one.

Comment

I would suggest that you, in either the autoexec script or the oninit for your startup form, dim the act_tab variable as global and assign it the text of the first tab on the tabbed object.
                      dim global act_tab as C
                      act_tab= "Loaves"

Doing that means there will always be a value set for act_tab and when you open the form the value will be what you want to filter the browse on the visible tab.
                      There can be only one.

Comment

Stan
                        You are a good mentor, I have already done it. Do you think there is a chance for me yet?
                        Regards
                        Ron

Comment

You'll be answering posts before you know it.
                          There can be only one.

Comment

Stan
                            I am not being sycophantic, but that code was brilliant in its simplicity; I have only just implemented it. I added two fields to the Product Table - "Category" and "RptOrder" and populated them with the Tab Label text. The second field was required for the Orders Report because the Product_ID's were not contiguous and are not in the order required i.e. Bread has a Product_ID in the 500000 range and Meat starts at 011080 but the Client wants Bread reported first. Thanks again.
                            Regards
                            Ron

Comment

Back and sun tanned Ron.
                              Just had a butchers (no pun intended) at the Db you posted. Looks pretty comprehensive if a little confusing.
                              "If you want to use the Page Up/Page Down keys, click on the Save Record button otherwise you will scroll up and down in the items list" ? A shop full of customers and I have to think about this?

Not suggesting you change anything, but you will notice the difference in approach if you view the Alpha Sports sample app. Smaller and more descrete bits of information. Too much info on one screen sometimes overwhelms a new user - and you will have to teach them I suspect. Consider the impact on a total novice. Try it on a friend with little interest in computers. I say this from a position of having overcooked a system for a Milkman some years ago - my first in fact. Covered all sorts of products and delivery schedules for 6 delivery men as well as the usual order changes brought about by holidays etc. In the end, I added a "YOU ARE AT THIS POINT IN THE PROCESS" button with a schema showing exactly where the user was in the order entry, confirmation, billing process.

On a lighter note, I suspect you may have issues with the Product_ID using ranges of numbers. The Category also looks a bit long winded in the BoM.
                              See our Hybrid Option here;
                              https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                              You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Thanks Ted
                                I hope you had a good holiday. A lot has happened since you 'deserted me'. I have re-written most of it. The BOM now has two simple fields, one with a range of 10 items - Bread, Meat, Fruit & Veg, etc. The second field is propagated by the former with a series 01,02,03 etc. This is because the Report Order does not follow the Product_ID number. The BOM is imported from Quick Books and most of the fields are redundant to my system, but it gives the Client comfort. I am now trying to convert the Order file into a Invoice File that can be imported into Quick Books. Do you know anything about the file structure of Quick Books (Intuit)?
                                Regards
                                Ron

Comment

Working...
                                X