Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Geocoding an address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geocoding an address

I poked around a lot, and am not sure what to do / what to use to geocode an address.

Step 1: User registers to a site with their name and address.

Step 2: We use an Insert event to get the lat and lon that fills the sQL Location field --- but how to get that lat and lon?

Google has a geocoding API, but its licensing terms require you to display the Google map. Not necessary or desirable in so many situations. Further, the free version of Google's API is limited to 2,500 requests per day, 100,000 per day with Premier and there's a chance the customer I'm building for may outrun that (yeah, be nice to jump off that bridge when we get there).

I see there are HTML 5 geocoding and geolocation APIs but I'm not sure they fit the bill.

Any suggestions?
    -Steve
    sigpic

Re: Geocoding an address

Well, Martin Heller pointed out to me that A5 has a geocoding function. It's in the wiki and I should have known. A search on "geocoding" was all you need.
    -Steve
    sigpic

Comment

Google free api also means that you cannot use it on a site that you charge a fee. I have heard that the Premier is 10k per year per domain.
      Chad Brown

Comment

10K is a little too high. It squeezes out the little guy, and probably quite a few medium size guys too.

There was an alternate listed though with open maps, Nominatim, and there was no limit with this one according to the wiki.

Another option is to keep track of how many requests are made in a day, and once you reach 2,500 switch to Nominatim. Or, just a thought, could you proxy it out so the requests could come from different sites? With 3 proxies and the original that could up the numbers to 10k per day. (As long as this isn't seen as fraud.)

Comment

Supposedly Bing maps from Microsoft is free.
          Chad Brown

Comment

In most cases the end user will use the result of the developed map free, in some cases where organizations want to use the information in a closed environment, then that's a different matter and one for the client to come to grips with. 2,500 look ups to the API is very generous, - also keep in mind as your database grows - so does your own long/lat database that will become a self-serving resource for lookups in your own database. For example Street/Cty/Town - then look up your own database - then allow the client or user to drag the pin to the exact spot. - Works well.
            Last edited by peteconway; 10-05-2011, 07:30 AM.
            Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
            Albert Einstein, (attributed)
            US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Forget Nominatim, the results of geocoding are so bad thet they are not usable. It is no longer an option either in v11 to use that service.
              Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

I know, at least at the beginning 2,500 shouldn't be an issue, but locations are a big part of it, and if I get a large number of users inputting data at the same time it could be possible, especially with a bulk input from excel files. But this is still going to be a rare event, so I am thinking that a little code could be used to count how many times in a day the function is run, and then if it hits 2,500, then it is simply put into a queue to be run the next day.

Edit--

I should mention that I am talking about the app I am developing.
                Last edited by The Mage; 10-06-2011, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X