Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Network Optimization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Network Optimization

What is it that is slow? Is it the opening forms and navigating within the form? Or is it retrieval of data via queris or other ? I previously mentioned disabling antivirus.Did you do that and if so what wee the results.It sounds to me ike your antivirus excludes your application files on your server and does not exclude the optimized tables on your local drive.
    Keep in mind, the default location for the optimized tables is different in v10 than in v4.5. So
    if you're excluding tables in the 4.5 optimized folder and not in the v10 optimized folder that could explain the results you are seeing.

Comment

Suggest you check that the Linking Data Field Length in the Sets is the same. V4.5 would allow different lengths, 10.5 requires them to be the same.
      See our Hybrid Option here;
      https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
      You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Ted- thanks for the suggestion. Most Sets did have linking fields of slightly different sizes. I have gone through every table and have set all the linking fields to the correct lengths and then went through each Set definition and re-saved. I don't think it has helped in any way. As you are probably aware, many threads are not cropping up with users that have upgraded and are now having speed issues.

I need to find a solution as our entire company is now suffering over this and I have many unhappy users.

Comment

Try this site.
          http://www.csda1.com/csda_codeutilit...#recordlocking
          You will need to hunt around a bit but Ira has done a lot of work on speed issues.
          The main problem seems to be going from such an old version to a much newer one in one hit, and many have commented on the speed issue. Most apps are backward compatible by 1 version but not as many as you are trying to handle.
          If it was my train set, I'd put 4.5 back into action, and redevelop in V10.5 - the same as previous, but building from the ground up. Get yourself some breathing space.
          Have you contacted Alpha to see if they can suggest anything? It might be as simple as running the V4.5 app under V9 to clear the crud.
          When you say "large app", do you mean lots of data or lots of functionality?

Comment

Ted - I would hate to put V4.5 back in action as I have spent a huge amount of time already in getting V10.5 functional. I also want to get our company into the latest version and try to keep it current going forward (I felt like we were going to be left behind). I hear you when you speak of building in V10 from the ground up but I can't even imagine what that would cost in my time. It may be the only solution.

As far as a large app goes, I suppose it is all relative although without it functional our manufacturing business is dead. The largest tables are now about 55Mg with 250k records. There are 39 tables, 24 sets, with the largest set structure at 11 joined tables.

Comment

Where did you get with John's comment?

Comment

The optimized V10.0 files are not in the default location and AVG is set to exclude these files as well as the folder on ther server with the "real" files. I suppose I should still try John's suggestion and disable AVG completely on both the server and the workstations at least once to be sure there is not an issue.

Comment

You think you've got troubles!
                  My Motorhome has sprung a water leak at the front, both leisure batteries are bust, the electronics have to go back to Germany for repair at vast expense.
                  If you can fix it with Money, it's a Cost - not a Problem. Yeah, right.
                  Don't know how much more help I can be, but just shout if you decide to "outsource" some of the rewriting.

Comment

Ted - Thanks for all your help, I may have to take you up on that. Sorry about your motorhome too.

We are scheduled to replace our server within the next two months and I am looking into running a Virtual Machine just for A5. That should help rule out any server issues. I will get this fixed one way or another.

Comment

Is opportunistic record locking turned OFF on the server? If not, it should be. We're still running ver 5. We've tried ver 8 and ver 9 with no luck. they just couldn't keep up with the speed of ver5. Our main database application "calls" (loads) as many as 20-30 different databases and they return back to the main. Our largest table is now 1.3M records. Many of our databases use tables from other databases. When we attempted to optimize this mess, Network Optimization tried to put all of the tables in a database within the same folder or in subfolders under the database main folder. That isn't how the data is laid out on the server, so we needed to tweak the optimized files to show where in the shadow folder the tables really were. It got rather crazy, but it is showing enough speed for us to launch ver 10 after a little more testing. We also re-wrote quite a bit of functionality because of the differences between ver 5 and 10.

Tom
                      Last edited by Tom Henkel; 10-11-2011, 05:38 PM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

I gave up on networking issues years ago. I use a product called tsplus. It eliminates all network headaches.

Comment

JK, I read the Tsplus advertising and it looks good.
                          Would you please explain what sort of configuration you are running and benefits you have achieved?
                          Also, an idea of the price would be good.
                          Is it a suped up version of Windows TS?

Comment

Tom - Do you find that Oplocks Off improves the speed or just helps in preventing data corruption? I believe it needs to be off on the workstations as well otherwise there is no effect? Have you tried V10 with it both OFF and ON?

JK - how many concurrent users do you typically have in an Alpha DB at one time? Does it require a high powered server?

Comment

Ted, TS Plus is about $125 for 5 users and around 190 for ten users. It basically turns the computer you put it on into a server. Although everybody runs on the server, I have not seen any speed degragation with 8 users.
                              Network problems don't exist. You gen an RDP and put it on all users computers. When they log in they use the same ID & Password you give them on the server. What makes it even nicer you can gen a RDP for remote
                              connection over the internet. The only drawback is the guy lives in tiwan. He usually responds to email within 24 hours. If you can live with that you cannot beat it for the price. I am running a new Compusa kit computer, with 4gig and a 1 gig hard drive, 2.5 ghz Pentium, XP Pro. Windows 7 Pro will work as well. Just remove all the fancy graphics stuff that slows it down.

Comment

Thanks JK

Comment

Working...
                                X