Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

new ..calendar component in v11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: new ..calendar component in v11

Jeff,

It appears that if it is not running on the localhost you will need a license -- that is how I read the licensing documentation up on Web2Cal.

Michael Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by njguy View Post
      I do not see how you can make the calendar component inherit the style of the Dialog box…..has anyone had any luck with this or will the calendar always have the same color scheme?
      I have not seen one. However you can edit the css file that comes with the web2cal component when you create it.

Go to the CSS / jq_cal folder in the Web Projects Control Panel and you will see the web2cal css file. Right click and edit.

If you want to have control over the dialog box that opens when you edit an event you can go to local css definitions in properties and add some code here. I wanted the dialog control to match the calendar header so I added the following code:

.GrGrayWinTitle {
      text-align: center;
      text-shadow: 0 0 3px #FFFFFF;
      color: #FFFFFF;
      background-color: #6396CE;
      font: bold Arial;
      padding: 2px 4px;
      cursor: move;
      }

In firefox using firebug I clicked on the published calendar component to find the exact settings for the colors and font details that I would add here.

I hope that was of some help here.

Michael Carroll

Comment

This is a great component but at 499/domain I am out.

Has anyone played with the google docs calendar API
        Chad Brown

Comment

Snuck a peek at the UK site, and they mention a discount for the license. They list it as �290. Not sure of the exchange rate right now. Also not sure if this is in Pounds, shillings,, or a FishnChips.

Okay, just looked it up (and a little more serious here,) it translates into right about $450. (And apparently this does not include the VAT.) That would be about a $50 savings, assuming it is the single domain license. Although the component translates into $486, and I believe it was being sold for $799 here. Maybe there is a different deal for us in the States. (Or maybe my math is just real bad.)

Comment

I am really disappointed to find out that there is an additional charge for this feature. When I was deciding to do the subscription I saw videos featuring the calendar / scheduling but I did not see where there was going to be an additional charge. The main reason I decided to do the subscription was for this feature. I probably would have just upgraded piecemeal instead of the full subscription if I would have known that this feature was not included in the subscription price. I smell bait and switch, really disappointed in Alpha software.
            Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

Don't seem to be able to have multi-all-day-events
              In the calendar when you want to add a whole week, mark the day that you want to start the job on, the window will pop open then change the date to include the whole range.
              So if you start on 10/13 click somewhere on that date. Then change the end date to 10/16 or whatever. Save and you will see the time period on the Calendar.

Comment

I understood too, that the Calendar feature would be included in the subscription plan. Disappointed about this.

Comment

If it helps clarify it for anyone, I have a direct email offer from Web2Cal, Alpha users price is $449 for a single domain. They also mention support for staging and development environments. Sounds like they might support a development server but I haven't investigated further... yet.

Largish additional investment for one domain even when based against the Alpha "Subscription" price.

I think Alpha pulled a "fast one".

Comment

Originally posted by frankbicknell View Post
                    I am really disappointed to find out that there is an additional charge for this feature. When I was deciding to do the subscription I saw videos featuring the calendar / scheduling but I did not see where there was going to be an additional charge. The main reason I decided to do the subscription was for this feature. I probably would have just upgraded piecemeal instead of the full subscription if I would have known that this feature was not included in the subscription price. I smell bait and switch, really disappointed in Alpha software.
                    Frank - Integrity is important to us - so when terms like bait and switch are raised I have to jump in with a response.

We have been in business since 1982 with a very loyal and satisfied customer base. That simply does not happen in a globally competitive world if a company engages in questionable business practices. The subscription offers we put out had clear language that the 3rd party licenses were not included in subscription. The calendar component (which is priced at $495 I believe) IS included in the subscription. The 3rd party license is not.

I think if you do the math, and you take into account what is coming over the next 12 months in terms of feature packs and new releases that are included at no charge in the subscription, there will be zero doubt that you you made a smart financial decision.

btw

12 more version 11 videos posted today
                    New ones are in the sections labeled
                    • Image Gallery
                    • Reports
                    • Style Builder

check out the following link below which a pretty comprehensive link of v11 videos

http://news.alphasoftware.com/v11preview/videos_v11.htm (more are coming)

"The richness, breadth and depth of v11 is staggering. This will allow us to be way more productive in terms of application development and more competitive because of these apps. Kudos to you and thank you." - not my quote by the way, but a quote from VP of IT at a Fortune 500 company that we received today.
                    Last edited by Richard Rabins; 10-13-2011, 08:23 PM.
                    Richard Rabins
                    Co Chairman
                    Alpha Software

Comment

Originally posted by frankbicknell View Post
                      ...I smell bait and switch, really disappointed in Alpha software.
                      I don't know. I haven't followed the promos close enough to know if such strong language is warranted. It does seem to me that v11 is once again a huge leap in power and functionality. Before v11 beta came out, my lack of imagination couldn't foresee what Alpha might come up with. It is pretty amazing overall actually. But I agree, a calendar and scheduling is fundamental to many many db operations. I guess my take on A5's calendar component is buy Maurico's which is pretty cheap by comparison. That way you get all of v11 and it's amazing power, and for a modest additional charge you can get Maurico's calendar which seems to me to be a pretty good compromise.

My 2-cents.
                      Peter
                      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I can see where Chad is coming from. I have studied the marketing material and my 1st and 2nd impression until I started playing with the beta was that the license for the calendar object was included.

From the sales literature:

Calendar Component

If scheduling is important in your application, the new calendar component is ideal. It provides an intuitive way to work with events and dates and uses an intuitive calendar interface.

Regular price: $799
                        From the above quote in the promotional literature it would appear that nothing else is needed.

Calendar and Scheduling Support

Many web applications, especially those for service based businesses can greatly benefit from a scheduling tool tightly integrated with a database to graphically display and select dates on the calendar. This could be used for booking appointments online for any service or resource, synchronizing employee schedules and much more.

One of the solutions is shown in the video below. Please note that while a 3rd party library may be required - the integration to this component from Alpha Five (the "heavy lifting") is included in your charter membership - which will make implementation a snap.
                        This quote from another marketing document suggest that a 3rd party library may be needed... Not clear at all.

What I feel like would have been clear communication would have been:
                        Calendar component $799 plus,
                        3rd Party Calendar License $499 to $999 (depending upon version and usage)
                        A free version is available for non-commercial usage
                        See web2cal.com for details.

I am not complaining about the pricing. It would however be great to have clarity so when we are out selling our services to customers we can be clear about what the costs will be to deliver an implementation.

I will be plunking down my $$ today. V11 it is worth it.

Regards,

Michael Carroll

Comment

Michael - you comments are good and fair. Thanks

Btw the Calendar Component pricing for v11 is $499 not $799

below is from the v11 store which goes live next week

Calendar Component
                          Add powerful drag-and-drop scheduling to your desktop, web, and mobile applications.
                          If scheduling is important in your application, the new calendar component is ideal. It provides an intuitive way to work with events and dates and uses an intuitive calendar interface. (This feature pack also requires the use of a 3rd party component, sold separately. )
                          $499
                          Richard Rabins
                          Co Chairman
                          Alpha Software

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Rabins View Post
                            Frank - Integrity is important to us - so when terms like bait and switch are raised I have to jump in with a response.
                            Glad to hear that. I have always felt that from when I started using Alpha Software.

I watched a video promoting the subscription price for version 11 that featured the calendar / scheduling part of the upgrade. I saw only the subscription price I did not see any additional costs for any of the features. It was supposed to be 'everything'. I made my decision to purchase the subscription from that material. I thought I was getting 'everything'. I am a small potatoes company and do not have a big software budget. I do not directly make money from this software. The price for the subscription was a lot for my budget. When I found out that the main feature pack for which I decided to buy the subscription is going to cost more I got a little perturbed.

I LOVE this software. It is the BEST of its type I have ever found. I will get over my disappointment and buy the additional component when I am able to afford it.

Please redact my statement regarding Bait and switch and change to : Please be more clear about pricing in your advertisements.
                            Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

One thing that I feel would be helpful from the Web2Cal folks is a trial developer license that we can put on ONE of our webservers so that we can demo this thing to our customers (paying $500 for the privilege of demoing their software seems a bit harsh...) PRODUCTION domain - that might make sense. But test domain???? yeesh.. Web2Cal's licensing does not currently allow for that. I've been swapping emails with Web2Cal regarding this - and they sent me an email this morning indicating that they were working with the Alpha gang on something like this. Bravo for that, if true. That said, their pricing is steep and I may have to look towards other calendar solutions. I like what I've seen so far, and LOVE alpha. That said - the Web2Cal stuff may on the spendy end for my client base.

Comment

below is from the v11 store which goes live next week
                                Richard please add a link to this page when it goes hot please.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X