Richard Rabins
    Richard Rabins
    Co Chairman
    Alpha Software

"Certified" Alphaholic kingcarol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carol King

Default Re: new ..calendar component in v11

That looks exciting! The videos referred to a license required to publish the calendar component to a host server. Can you give us some information about that license and its cost, or is it part of the Alpha subscription?
    Carol King
    Developer of Custom Homebuilders' Solutions (CHS)
    http://www.CHSBuilderSoftware.com

"Certified" Alphaholic Lance Gurd's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lance Gurd

I was told it was part of the subscription by email from a sales person at alpha and nothing else was needed to make it work, which is true but missleading. As per Selwyn's video it can only be used on localhost without a license so I contacted the seller direct and just had an email from sales@web2cal.com that says I need a single user license ($499) to get it to work over our intranet.

Been waiting ages for this to become available, followed the videos earlier and got it working by publishing to local host. Found quite a few glitches and also things that are not very good about this particular calendar over the last few hours. So I will be looking at others and ways of working with them in a custom component.

Not very happy!

Real Name
    Carol King

When you refer to 'glitches', do you mean Alpha bugs, or problems with that web2cal component itself? I guess what I'm asking is, do the glitches seem to be something Alpha can possibly fix? Your post makes me think I might wait awhile to try this....
    Carol King

Real Name
    Lance Gurd

There are both.

If you follow Selwyn's video you will be able to get the calendar up and running. (I did have to put a bugs folder on my C: drive to get rid of a server 500 error).

Once my calendar was rendering, I obviously wanted to play around. Entered a few events, a couple of all dayers etc. Found the all day events were not persisting and reverting to a timed entry. Not a great problem, only needed the dialog component to bind to the allday field.

The web2cal component itself has a few shortcommings unless, it seems, you pay for the all singing all dancing version. ($1499). I personally think the left navigation pane is ugly! If you switch it off, the calendar chooser becomes a very nice show/hide item, but there then seems to be no way of navigating from month to month unless I am missing something. Don't seem to be able to have multi-all-day-events, therefore you have to put an entry in 10 times if someone takes 2 weeks leave!

I am sure I will find more problems, but so far I have only been playing for a few hours.

Real Name
    Carol King

Thanks, Lance, for being the tester/reporter for all of us forum users. :) Will be curious to hear what else you discover. At my level of inexperience in web development, I do appreciate that Alpha is taking on that calendar and writing code that will make it much easier for me to integrate a calendar component into my project. I can't even imagine me trying to do that on my own. So I'm cheering them on towards perfection of it, which I'm absolutely sure is their goal.

Did I read somewhere that there will be associated charts (and possibly Gantt charts) that go with the calendar component? Or am I imagining that just because I'd love to have that for home builder scheduling?
    Carol King

Real Name
    Lance Gurd

I seem to remember seeing something about Gantt charts as well, but can't find anything on it now. Being in the construction industry they would be more applicable than the calendar component.

Real Name
    Lance Gurd

more testing done, the calendar navigation is there with the left navigator turned off, the icons are just not rendering. Bubble help comes up where the buttons are and you can get a mini calendar to pop up

Real Name
    Carol King

Are you reporting these things to Alpha? Do you need us to send care packages as you explore this uncharted territory for us?
    Carol King

Real Name
    Lance Gurd

I did report the issue with the folder to Selwyn. The others are more niggles that I can work around, but as the work is so gruelling I will take any packages you wish to send!

Beer always welcome

Real Name
    Jeff Blackwell

Lance - glad that you are playing with it. I'm in there now as well. The licensing issue DOES concern me. Thank you for pointing out the "bugs" folder issue.

Real Name
    Ger Kurvers

Because the calendar component is of the utmost importance for me in near future i also started exploring. Got it "working" at local host en encountered already the same weird things as Lance. (But according to Wiki it is also not ready for testing yet....).

Lance / Jeff could you pls go into detail about "bugs folder" : what is this and what is the cure ?

Have problem with live preview mode: editing doesn't seem to work at all in this mode?

I already brougt to Selwyns attention the way the licence is stored: i will need it for multiple customers (if they can afford :-() and the publishing will be a nightmare if it has to be stored in the calendar component itself instead of the webprofile i think.

Also I need localization in dutch language, this might become a breaking point for my customers i'm afraid if it will not become available
    Ger Kurvers
    Alpha Anywhere / V4.5.5.0- Build 5667
    Development: Mysql, windows 10 64 Applicationserver: standard on Windows server 2012 R2

Real Name
    Carol King

I knew what Lance was talking about when he mentioned the Bugs folder. I had that happen to me before and Selwyn then told me he had left some code in that was trying to refer to a Bugs folder on the C drive that he uses. So until I got the next update, I created a Bugs folder on my C folder and got rid of the error while I was working. We even created one on our deployment servers... (just in case).
    Carol King

Real Name
    Jeff Blackwell

Has anyone tried to publish the free version of Web2Cal to an external test server? I'm pretty sure that the Web2Cal licensing stuff requires you to link back to their site. I'm fighting with it but haven't found exactly what they are after. Has anybody done this - and if so, where did you put the link? Bottom line question - if I'm trying to build a test calendar setup and have it on the web where I can hit it - what do I need to do to meet all of the fun licensing requirements?

Real Name
    Tom Ritter

I do not see how you can make the calendar component inherit the style of the Dialog box…..has anyone had any luck with this or will the calendar always have the same color scheme?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Michael Carroll

Jeff,

It appears that if it is not running on the localhost you will need a license -- that is how I read the licensing documentation up on Web2Cal.

Michael Carroll

Real Name
    Michael Carroll

Quote Originally Posted by njguy View Post
    I do not see how you can make the calendar component inherit the style of the Dialog box…..has anyone had any luck with this or will the calendar always have the same color scheme?
    I have not seen one. However you can edit the css file that comes with the web2cal component when you create it.

Go to the CSS / jq_cal folder in the Web Projects Control Panel and you will see the web2cal css file. Right click and edit.

If you want to have control over the dialog box that opens when you edit an event you can go to local css definitions in properties and add some code here. I wanted the dialog control to match the calendar header so I added the following code:

.GrGrayWinTitle {
    text-align: center;
    text-shadow: 0 0 3px #FFFFFF;
    color: #FFFFFF;
    background-color: #6396CE;
    font: bold Arial;
    padding: 2px 4px;
    cursor: move;
    }

In firefox using firebug I clicked on the published calendar component to find the exact settings for the colors and font details that I would add here.

I hope that was of some help here.

Michael Carroll

"Certified" Alphaholic chadbrown's Avatar
    Real Name
    Chad Brown

This is a great component but at 499/domain I am out.

Has anyone played with the google docs calendar API
    Chad Brown

Real Name
    William McGowen

Snuck a peek at the UK site, and they mention a discount for the license. They list it as £290. Not sure of the exchange rate right now. Also not sure if this is in Pounds, shillings,, or a FishnChips.

Okay, just looked it up (and a little more serious here,) it translates into right about $450. (And apparently this does not include the VAT.) That would be about a $50 savings, assuming it is the single domain license. Although the component translates into $486, and I believe it was being sold for $799 here. Maybe there is a different deal for us in the States. (Or maybe my math is just real bad.)

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Frank Bicknell

I am really disappointed to find out that there is an additional charge for this feature. When I was deciding to do the subscription I saw videos featuring the calendar / scheduling but I did not see where there was going to be an additional charge. The main reason I decided to do the subscription was for this feature. I probably would have just upgraded piecemeal instead of the full subscription if I would have known that this feature was not included in the subscription price. I smell bait and switch, really disappointed in Alpha software.
    Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Real Name
    Roelof

Don't seem to be able to have multi-all-day-events
    In the calendar when you want to add a whole week, mark the day that you want to start the job on, the window will pop open then change the date to include the whole range.
    So if you start on 10/13 click somewhere on that date. Then change the end date to 10/16 or whatever. Save and you will see the time period on the Calendar.

Real Name
    Roelof

I understood too, that the Calendar feature would be included in the subscription plan. Disappointed about this.

Real Name
    Richard Neale

If it helps clarify it for anyone, I have a direct email offer from Web2Cal, Alpha users price is $449 for a single domain. They also mention support for staging and development environments. Sounds like they might support a development server but I haven't investigated further... yet.

Largish additional investment for one domain even when based against the Alpha "Subscription" price.

I think Alpha pulled a "fast one".

Alpha Software Employee Richard Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Rabins

Quote Originally Posted by frankbicknell View Post
    I am really disappointed to find out that there is an additional charge for this feature. When I was deciding to do the subscription I saw videos featuring the calendar / scheduling but I did not see where there was going to be an additional charge. The main reason I decided to do the subscription was for this feature. I probably would have just upgraded piecemeal instead of the full subscription if I would have known that this feature was not included in the subscription price. I smell bait and switch, really disappointed in Alpha software.
    Frank - Integrity is important to us - so when terms like bait and switch are raised I have to jump in with a response.

We have been in business since 1982 with a very loyal and satisfied customer base. That simply does not happen in a globally competitive world if a company engages in questionable business practices. The subscription offers we put out had clear language that the 3rd party licenses were not included in subscription. The calendar component (which is priced at $495 I believe) IS included in the subscription. The 3rd party license is not.

I think if you do the math, and you take into account what is coming over the next 12 months in terms of feature packs and new releases that are included at no charge in the subscription, there will be zero doubt that you you made a smart financial decision.

btw

12 more version 11 videos posted today
    New ones are in the sections labeled

• Image Gallery
    • Reports
    • Style Builder

check out the following link below which a pretty comprehensive link of v11 videos

http://news.alphasoftware.com/v11preview/videos_v11.htm (more are coming)

"The richness, breadth and depth of v11 is staggering. This will allow us to be way more productive in terms of application development and more competitive because of these apps. Kudos to you and thank you." - not my quote by the way, but a quote from VP of IT at a Fortune 500 company that we received today.
    Last edited by Richard Rabins; 10-13-2011 at 09:23 PM.
    Richard Rabins
    Co Chairman
    Alpha Software

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Quote Originally Posted by frankbicknell View Post
    ...I smell bait and switch, really disappointed in Alpha software.
    I don't know. I haven't followed the promos close enough to know if such strong language is warranted. It does seem to me that v11 is once again a huge leap in power and functionality. Before v11 beta came out, my lack of imagination couldn't foresee what Alpha might come up with. It is pretty amazing overall actually. But I agree, a calendar and scheduling is fundamental to many many db operations. I guess my take on A5's calendar component is buy Maurico's which is pretty cheap by comparison. That way you get all of v11 and it's amazing power, and for a modest additional charge you can get Maurico's calendar which seems to me to be a pretty good compromise.

My 2-cents.

Real Name
    Michael Carroll

I can see where Chad is coming from. I have studied the marketing material and my 1st and 2nd impression until I started playing with the beta was that the license for the calendar object was included.

From the sales literature:

Calendar Component

If scheduling is important in your application, the new calendar component is ideal. It provides an intuitive way to work with events and dates and uses an intuitive calendar interface.

Regular price: $799
    From the above quote in the promotional literature it would appear that nothing else is needed.

Calendar and Scheduling Support

Many web applications, especially those for service based businesses can greatly benefit from a scheduling tool tightly integrated with a database to graphically display and select dates on the calendar. This could be used for booking appointments online for any service or resource, synchronizing employee schedules and much more.

One of the solutions is shown in the video below. Please note that while a 3rd party library may be required - the integration to this component from Alpha Five (the "heavy lifting") is included in your charter membership - which will make implementation a snap.
    This quote from another marketing document suggest that a 3rd party library may be needed... Not clear at all.

What I feel like would have been clear communication would have been:
    Calendar component $799 plus,
    3rd Party Calendar License $499 to $999 (depending upon version and usage)
    A free version is available for non-commercial usage
    See web2cal.com for details.

I am not complaining about the pricing. It would however be great to have clarity so when we are out selling our services to customers we can be clear about what the costs will be to deliver an implementation.

I will be plunking down my $$ today. V11 it is worth it.

Regards,

Michael Carroll

Alpha Software Employee Richard Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Rabins

Michael - you comments are good and fair. Thanks

Btw the Calendar Component pricing for v11 is $499 not $799

below is from the v11 store which goes live next week

Calendar Component
    Add powerful drag-and-drop scheduling to your desktop, web, and mobile applications.
    If scheduling is important in your application, the new calendar component is ideal. It provides an intuitive way to work with events and dates and uses an intuitive calendar interface. (This feature pack also requires the use of a 3rd party component, sold separately. )
    $499
    Richard Rabins
    Co Chairman
    Alpha Software

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Frank Bicknell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rabins View Post
    Frank - Integrity is important to us - so when terms like bait and switch are raised I have to jump in with a response.
    Glad to hear that. I have always felt that from when I started using Alpha Software.

I watched a video promoting the subscription price for version 11 that featured the calendar / scheduling part of the upgrade. I saw only the subscription price I did not see any additional costs for any of the features. It was supposed to be 'everything'. I made my decision to purchase the subscription from that material. I thought I was getting 'everything'. I am a small potatoes company and do not have a big software budget. I do not directly make money from this software. The price for the subscription was a lot for my budget. When I found out that the main feature pack for which I decided to buy the subscription is going to cost more I got a little perturbed.

I LOVE this software. It is the BEST of its type I have ever found. I will get over my disappointment and buy the additional component when I am able to afford it.

Please redact my statement regarding Bait and switch and change to : Please be more clear about pricing in your advertisements.
    Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Real Name
    Jeff Blackwell

One thing that I feel would be helpful from the Web2Cal folks is a trial developer license that we can put on ONE of our webservers so that we can demo this thing to our customers (paying $500 for the privilege of demoing their software seems a bit harsh...) PRODUCTION domain - that might make sense. But test domain???? yeesh.. Web2Cal's licensing does not currently allow for that. I've been swapping emails with Web2Cal regarding this - and they sent me an email this morning indicating that they were working with the Alpha gang on something like this. Bravo for that, if true. That said, their pricing is steep and I may have to look towards other calendar solutions. I like what I've seen so far, and LOVE alpha. That said - the Web2Cal stuff may on the spendy end for my client base.

Real Name
    Roelof

below is from the v11 store which goes live next week
    Richard please add a link to this page when it goes hot please.

Thanks