Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

new ..calendar component in v11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: new ..calendar component in v11

The field mapping does not seem to work. I have a table that has all of the required field types but with different names. I was able to work around by creating a view from the original table and using alias names to match the required field names.
    Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Blackwell View Post
      One thing that I feel would be helpful from the Web2Cal folks is a trial developer license that we can put on ONE of our webservers so that we can demo this thing to our customers (paying $500 for the privilege of demoing their software seems a bit harsh...) PRODUCTION domain - that might make sense. But test domain???? yeesh.. Web2Cal's licensing does not currently allow for that. I've been swapping emails with Web2Cal regarding this - and they sent me an email this morning indicating that they were working with the Alpha gang on something like this. Bravo for that, if true. That said, their pricing is steep and I may have to look towards other calendar solutions. I like what I've seen so far, and LOVE alpha. That said - the Web2Cal stuff may on the spendy end for my client base.

Jeff, Web2Cal does support a trial license for domains. Just email [email protected] and they can generate trial keys that will help you show case the application to your clients.
      Web2Cal Employee,
      [email protected] | www.web2cal.com

For technical questions, contact [email protected]
      For general sales, Trial license, licensing, bulk-licensing, license for non-profit, contact [email protected]
      For Documentation, visit www.web2cal.com

Comment

I find myself wishing a better price had been negotiated with web2cal. At $499 per domain, it's out of the question for my clients. Having it included in A5 should be a huge boost to them, and it really feels like there's not much of a concession for that. I could even spring for that much if it was per server, but not per domain. I was also excited about the calendar function, didn't realize how pricey the third party licensing would be - and will now be looking into other options, skipping right over it. I won't even be watching the videos or exploring it, which would simply be spending my time learning about something I can't have. Well, at least I found out here before pouring time into it. Sigh.
        Wendy Welton
        Architect
        past & future Alphaholic - deliberately falling off the wagon!

http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Comment

Agree with Wendy on this - per Server would make a heck of a lot more sense for Alpha folks. I tried to explain this to the Web2Cal folks, but I'm not sure that the message got through. To their credit they've been very cool about things. That said, I'm not sure that they realize the price mismatch. Or maybe they do?? Per server (as opposed to per domain) would surely help that a lot.

Comment

I think it's very easy for folks like Web2Cal to think their stuff is just so blinkin' cool that it's "worth it". However, reality is that if the marketplace won't support it, the marketplace won't support it. The price of one component has to be in scale with the whole - and the whole has to be delivered at a price that's in scale with both the perceived value to the client and with the economic reality of the client's business. If a calendar like that is maybe 1/10th of a web site I do for one of my builders, the whole website would have to cost $5k! ... not gonna happen, not no how, not no way. Even if what I provide them is miles better than the gazillion $800 or $1200 options out there from a gazillion starving web designers - in the current economy, they're not going to cough up two month's mortgage payments just to have a calendar and a few more bells and whistles.

So - I seriously think they're shooting themselves in the foot by choosing a high price over a high volume. If they either made the per domain price seriously more palatable, or offered bulk licensing (say a 10 pack), they could take off. At these prices, not so much.

That said, there may not be that many other options - so the nice people at A5 may have done the best they could. But that doesn't change reality here on the ground. For myself, we didn't have a calendar before and we've managed, so we'll continue to manage. NASA spent some ungodly amount of money on a pen that would right upside down in zero gravity. The Russians took a pencil to space.
            Wendy Welton
            Architect

Comment

OK - here's the flaw in their pricing as I see it:

At $495, that's retail. There should be a wholesale price to developers. Anyone here developing a web site using that calendar will be the one getting the support calls, spending the time to configure and integrate. So, for a pretty high price, we'd be actually spending more time and therefore making less than without it. Gucci doesn't charge Macy's list price.

If they wanted to charge $495 for a first license, with whatever level of tech support they provide - and then $200 or $250 for add on licenses, with any support only through the original licensee, now we'd have something to talk about. Every other piece of professional software I've ever used (and boy, have I!) has had an add-on license price that runs anywhere from about 35% to a little over half. They do this for the same reasons - their loyal users become great advocates and ambassadors, official and unofficial beta testers, etc - and those running multiple licenses on average actually contribute more support than they consume via their participation in forums like this (and I see that they have one).

Seriously - right now that calendar costs more than A5!

I have spoken - and I know everything! ;-)
              Wendy Welton
              Architect

Comment

I am like Frank as well. Bought the subscription way back and when i saw that a 3rd party component would be necessary I thought it would be a one time fee per developer not for every site.
                I have one builder that am trying to put a package togehter for and they have 4 different domains for there 4 regions and now they are going to have to pay $2000 in fees just for the component. This will probably kill the project. The calendar was the most important reason for me to upgrade. I love the product as well but will probably have to find another solution for calendaring for my clients as the Web2cal adder is just to much.

Comment

Wendy -

You may or may not know everything.... (evil grin)

But you are spot on in your thinking re: the pricing situation. And from my conversations with Web2Cal (to be clear - they've been nothing but great to work with), I think your analysis in post #34 is right on the money.

Comment

Has anybody looked into something like day pilot and what it would take to integrate into an A5 app? http://www.daypilot.org/ If we want to have any "bargaining power" we need a solid alternative, preferably more than one. This one isn't quite as "pretty", but pretty is as pretty does. It's a calendar, not a prom dress.

day_pilot.png
                    Wendy Welton
                    Architect

Comment

For a commercial one http://dhtmlx.com/docs/products/dhtm...index.shtml?mn
                      dhtmlx seems like a possibility. And their licensing is much more intelligent than the current web2cal setup.

To the credit of the A5 team - integrating this is NO SMALL task and is not for the faint of heart. That said, if our customers won't eat it at the going rate - we have to do something. I'm sure that the A5 gang tried several different ones and may have comments on what works, what stinks, etc. I'd be VERY interested to hear their take on the various js libraries available.

Comment

Web2Cal does mention contacting them for a discount with bulk purchases. I want this plugin, but am at least a month from needing to make the purchase myself. I was thinking if we got a list of people who want this plugin, preferably all at the same license level, then we could simply purchase them together, after we determine the discount is worth the hassle. There may be some drawbacks, such as the license may need to all be the same type, we may loose free support, and not sure if it would be possible to upgrade these if we need to. But I am just guessing at all this right now.

We may need to get 10 people to get a serious discount. Also I have to wonder what the minimum discount we should accept to make this whole process worth it, such as 25%?

Comment

For a commercial one http://dhtmlx.com/docs/products/dhtm...index.shtml?mn
                          dhtmlx seems like a possibility. And their licensing is much more intelligent than the current web2cal setup.

To the credit of the A5 team - integrating this is NO SMALL task and is not for the faint of heart. That said, if our customers won't eat it at the going rate - we have to do something. I'm sure that the A5 gang tried several different ones and may have comments on what works, what stinks, etc. I'd be VERY interested to hear their take on the various js libraries available.
                          That one looks fairly decent. I have found a few jQuery and javascript calendars, and they all seem to be lacking. But there is an Alpha member who already created a calendar.

In another forum, Selwyn said "we have been bundling the codejock activex calendar with Alpha Five for years now." This was interesting, because I never heard of this before. But searching I found a thread where they were working on it:

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...lendar-Control...

Now where do I find this "bundle"?

Comment

Originally posted by The Mage View Post

We may need to get 10 people to get a serious discount. Also I have to wonder what the minimum discount we should accept to make this whole process worth it, such as 25%?

I know that for my clients they are high by a factor of 2, so I'd have to see a 50% reduction. And unfortunately, I won't know until I have an example to show them how many would bite at that number, so I couldn't be part of that group of 10.

I know some folks have an immediate need, because they made promises to clients. For myself, I did not, so I'm taking the longer view. I think the very fact that the chosen calendar charges per domain where A5 does not is a big problem. Not only is it a mismatch for pricing policy, but it would leave us open to them simply changing their mind at any point on whatever discount was negotiated. So, you might get that discount once, have that calendar in your examples etc - and wham, the price goes right back up.
                            Wendy Welton
                            Architect

Comment

To the credit of the A5 team - integrating this is NO SMALL task and is not for the faint of heart.
                              Personally, I wouldn't care a whit if I could configure it from inside A5. I would only care that it would run in the application and appear seamlessly integrated to the end user. But yes, I imagine even that is no small feat.
                              Wendy Welton
                              Architect

Comment

Originally posted by The Mage View Post
                                That one looks fairly decent. I have found a few jQuery and javascript calendars, and they all seem to be lacking. But there is an Alpha member who already created a calendar.

In another forum, Selwyn said "we have been bundling the codejock activex calendar with Alpha Five for years now." This was interesting, because I never heard of this before. But searching I found a thread where they were working on it:

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...lendar-Control...

Now where do I find this "bundle"?
                                Hmmmm - if we're really serious about a good alternative, we might be better off to talk about pooling our resources to pay someone with the right skill to get this done than to spend time negotiating with Cal2Web. No matter how flexible they would be at the outset, they've decided on charging by the domain and they've decided at the outset on a hefty price. So, imho, any price reduction from them would only be a bandaid. If I were going to spend $500, I'd rather put it towards a permanent solution.
                                Wendy Welton
                                Architect

Comment

Working...
                                X