Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Recovering 'Access' user - New to Alpha Five

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recovering 'Access' user - New to Alpha Five

Not only am I new to Alpha Five, I'm new to this forum - so hopefully I'm posting in the correct place.

After approximately 5 hours in the vid turorials and playing around with Alpha Five V10.5 - I'm realizing what a monolithic garbage heap Access is (10 years spent in Access). But I have some general questions about Alpha.

1. In Access, it's pretty critical to set up your tables and relationships correctly and with careful planning. In Alpha, this seems less critical. I realize grouping data accurately is vital...but in general, is this an accurate assessment?
    2. I'm embarking on a massive project in Alpha that may (if successful) span an entire industry. I'm concerned about building the tables in the native .dbf - does version 11 allow you to build the tables as SQL? OR - are .dbf tables sufficient for large projects (with memo fields)?

Appreciate any input you Alpha Fivers have to offer.

Re: Recovering 'Access' user - New to Alpha Five

1. In Access, it's pretty critical to set up your tables and relationships correctly and with careful planning. In Alpha, this seems less critical. I realize grouping data accurately is vital...but in general, is this an accurate assessment?

Yes. I think you are right on target. Alpha is very flexible and very forgiving.

2. I'm embarking on a massive project in Alpha that may (if successful) span an entire industry.

Yow! I love that kind of talk.

I'm concerned about building the tables in the native .dbf - does version 11 allow you to build the tables as SQL? OR - are .dbf tables sufficient for large projects (with memo fields)?

This is a more complex question. Sure, you can use SQL. If you are doing web, definitely use SQL if you are starting out. Desktop generally requires active/passive link tables for SQL. OTOH, dbf is quite powerful given Alpha's vast array of dbf specific functions and methods. Memo fields (and indexes) are a dbf liability not limited to Alpha. Memo fields, if handled correctly, are not a liability. Indexes can be more problematic if you have heavy use.

Bottom line, if you can go web, go web - and go SQL. If desktop, try SQL w. active link tables. Remember, you CAN build a desktop (intranet/LAN) app using Alpha web components - which makes the switch to web later on, fairly painless.
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Extremely kind of you - very helpful. I can see this message board is going to be an essential resource. Don't wish to take advantage of your time, but your response brought up another question or two. You mention that indexes are a liability not limited to Alpha - but I thought (based on my Access background) that indexs are mandatory in creating cross-table data integrity...is there another way that I've never heard of?

My understanding thus far is this (and I do intend to make this beast web-based):
      1. I can create a desktop app that links to a web-based back-end through active linked tables.
      2. I can create the primary web-application based on either .dbf or SQL...SQL perferred, but I'll have to see how much V11 helps me with SQL (alternative is to hire a developer for this portion).
      3. V11 will allow me to create native-like apps for iPad's and mobile devices (and they should somehow link to the web-based back end).

Am I way out in left field here? Or is this all .T.?

Thanks again for your time.

Mark

Comment

You mention that indexes are a liability not limited to Alpha - but I thought (based on my Access background) that indexs are mandatory in creating cross-table data integrity...is there another way that I've never heard of?

Indexes are part & parcel of dbf. Sometimes people report index corruption in dbs with manu simultaneous users.

1. I can create a desktop app that links to a web-based back-end through active linked tables.

That's true if you are using SQL. If dbf, then the web server & LAN server need to be the same machine.

2. I can create the primary web-application based on either .dbf or SQL...SQL perferred, but I'll have to see how much V11 helps me with SQL (alternative is to hire a developer for this portion).

If you have Access tables, you can use them as is - as a SQL construct - meaning using an AlphaDAO connection string.

3. V11 will allow me to create native-like apps for iPad's and mobile devices (and they should somehow link to the web-based back end).

I have yet to see any documentation on mobile app functionality - so I don't know.
        Peter
        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
        https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Thank you again Peter...slowly but surely I'm beginning to grasp. Received V11 today...not ready to delve into the mobile functionality...but it's there.

Mark

Comment

Mark, for what it's worth, you will have some "unlearning" to do when chaging from Access to Alpha.
            What I've found is that there are so many ready made features and functions in Alpha that you might think that you are "cheating".
            May I suggest that, before embarking on hard coding, you look to see if there is a feature which will do what - and indeed show you working code - without you having to write it.
            I have likened Alpha to Duplo, while Access is more Lego.
            The Forum is often a life saver - you will see some pretty nifty responses to developers in trouble.
            And don't worry about asking "silly questions" - there is no such thing. (But often easiest to answer )
            See our Hybrid Option here;
            https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
            You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Thank you Ted - you're right on target. I'm finding that my experience with Access is severely interfering with learning Alpha. I think I would have been better off to be completely new to database development. I've been completely bamboozled working with Sets versus relationships in Access...I'll eventually get my head straight, but definately been causing me some heartache.

Appreciate your encouragement.

Comment

Another thing youl will find fun to work with is the Set concept of variability.
                Takes up no resources like the Logical Relationships you have to build in other dev tools, and you can turn them upside down for different purposes!
                Sets are indeed a very powerful way of displaying data and the links are made when the Set is invoked.
                If you need an example of anything, please ask on the Forum - someone will post one so you can see how they do it.
                See our Hybrid Option here;
                https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Mark, if you are truly going to span an industry, I would use SQL as much as possible, for future scalability. I would skip DBFs completely, even Active-Link Tables

You can start by working with the Access databases that you've been using for 10 years. Later on you can use the Microsoft upsizing wizard to take them to SQL Server; all you'll have to change in your Alpha application is the connection string. Use a named connection string to keep that completely encapsulated, and to allow you to publish to different targets that use different databases.

Comment

Welcome fellow Recovering 'Access' user. there is a lot of unlearning to do and if you are doing Web apps then you have to make the double jump there is a LOT of new things to lean, not all just Alpha Five things but Web things. I am trying to port a complex App over from Access to Alpha Five and the road is long and hard and full of lots of potholes but most of them self-dug :)
                    Enjoy Alpha Five is awesome and a welcome change from Access. Not that I hate Access , in fact 80% of my time is still spent in Access but for moving to the web/mobile world Alpha is AWESOME!

Comment

If I can get the foundation right (scalable and efficient), it very well could become the dominant tool in my industry. This is why I'm spending as much time as I can to make sure the foundation is laid correctly from the start. It's a relatively small industry - if all goes well, I could expect anywhere from 1,000 to potentially 3,000 users a couple years into it. I estimate a range of 2,500 to 3,500 new records per day.

Ok - so if I understand mheller correctly - I can just use a connection string to my existing Access tables and build the Alpha web application from there? Then, when all is well in the world, do the upsizing and change the connection string. What's the alternative to a "named connection string" (to make sure I'm understanding)? Do I use the relationships in Access tables - or create sets from the linked tables?

Kiwibruce - you're not kidding. If I could get 'Access' out of my head, I think I'd be doing a lot better with Alpha. As it is, I find myself overcomplicating things because I stubbornly try to impose steps required in Access. Do you find that you can (after all the potholes) create a front end in Alpha Web apps that looks as good as desktop forms or Access forms? I got pretty good at Access forms and had some nice and easy user interfaces. Haven't gotten far enought along in Alpha to know whether I can get there with the web apps.

Thanks again to all who have responded - this forum is a jewel.

Comment

mheller - I just answered my own question (or the Alpha help file did) on named connection strings. I can clearly see that is critical when you're working with quite a few tables in a connection...thanks for calling that out.

Comment

Originally posted by umashank View Post
                          Kiwibruce - you're not kidding. If I could get 'Access' out of my head, I think I'd be doing a lot better with Alpha. As it is, I find myself over complicating things because I stubbornly try to impose steps required in Access. Do you find that you can (after all the potholes) create a front end in Alpha Web apps that looks as good as desktop forms or Access forms? I got pretty good at Access forms and had some nice and easy user interfaces. Haven't gotten far enough along in Alpha to know whether I can get there with the web apps.

Thanks again to all who have responded - this forum is a jewel.
                          So far my answer is ... no but that is because I have not invested enough time in learning CSS and working with the A5W page layout side of things.
                          That is what I mean by the double jump you have to do. Alpha Five does an awesome job of shielding you from all the AJAX stuff and a lot of the web stuff but if I had one complaint it would be that I would like to see more out of the box interface / styles built in. Hard to explain. I think I know what you mean, after some 15 years of building Access Apps I can now build very professional and elegant interfaces. I think the new Dialog in V11 will help things along but I have found that the path from Access to A5 is a case of 'swings and roundabouts' there are many things I miss from Access but then they are on the whole outweighed by the power and ease of use of Alpha Five.
                          Bruce
                          Last edited by kiwibruce; 10-18-2011, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Does anyone here happen to know if charts (pie, line graphs) can be put on web components? I'm using V11 if that makes any difference. I don't need to know the "how," just if it's doable. I've got a long way to go before I get to the graph parts.
                            Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by umashank View Post
                              Does anyone here happen to know if charts (pie, line graphs) can be put on web components? I'm using V11 if that makes any difference. I don't need to know the "how," just if it's doable. I've got a long way to go before I get to the graph parts.
                              Thanks in advance.
                              Look at Alternate views in the Grid, one option is Charts I think

Comment

Working...
                              X