Alpha Video Training

Thread: Offline Android Application

Real Name
    David Stroud

Default Offline Android Application

I have been developing applications for several years in Alpha Five. I received my new version (Alpha Five 11) yesterday. When I bought the subscription back in February 2011, I was told by the sales rep for Alpha that the new version was coming out and that it would be able to send my applications to mobile devices with Android on them. This was very interesting as I would like to take a couple of my applications to an Android device. I was under the impression this could be done in an offline environment, but now that I have the new version it either can't be done that way or I'm missing something. Anyone know how to put an Alpha Five application on an Android based device that would be offline? The devices would need to sync up the data to a back end server at some point. Just trying to figure out where to start on this.

Thanks!

Real Name
    Bruce Jonson

Default Re: Offline Android Application

My understanding has always been A5 apps on mobile devices would be Online not Offline, They are web apps so therefore... online What A5 is doing is making the A5 web apps look good on devices by the funky use of HTML5 and CSS3. But that is the way I read into what they were saying.
    My 2 cents

Bruce

Real Name
    William McGowen

They had a whole video about this, discussing how it can be built on the web, and seem like a native app on a smartphone, or tablet. The idea was that instead of having to develop a different app for each and ever device, it was better to just create something that would work on everything. The only thing is that it has to be on the web. Personally I thought it made a lot of sense.

While I remember seeing this video, I am not sure where I saw it, and I can't find it on YouTube, or the blog right now.

Real Name
    Kenneth

Maybe this video

Real Name
    William McGowen

Yes, that is the video I was talking about.

"Certified" Alphaholic Clipper87's Avatar
    Real Name
    Frank

Alpha v11 allows you to make web applications that feel & behave like native applications with support for touch etc. Native apps vs webapps is a very lively discussion between many developers (alpha & other platforms) but keep in mind that we're getting constantly online more & more with our devices and html5 is geared towards offline storage for when your connection drops. I think webapps will be a major player and with Alpha you're in a good position to leverage that market; developing native apps is something quite different, very complex & very time consuming.

The image gallery component is Alpha's first mobile component. Grids have builtin support already for touch but I do believe some more stuff is coming as to what device you're running on, display resolution etc. We need to be on the lookout for videos covering mobile grids & the other components.
    Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Real Name
    David Stroud

Thank you all for your responses. I was thinking that was the case, but wanted to make sure.

Real Name
    Tom Ritter

I think it would be great to get an official reply from Alpha on this subject as to what we should see in the future. We are planning on writing a bulk of our application for tablet devices and I need to know what can we really produce with Alpha

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Quote Originally Posted by njguy View Post
    I think it would be great to get an official reply from Alpha on this subject as to what we should see in the future. We are planning on writing a bulk of our application for tablet devices and I need to know what can we really produce with Alpha
    As far as we know, Bob Moore is the lead Alpha programmer for mobile stuff. We haven't heard from him in a while - and the WiKI has almost nothing on mobile and we only have the one video. I would like to know the status of this as well.