Alpha Video Training

Thread: Win 7, Alpha 4, Winagent, Amyuni pdf driver doesn't load, No Windows Printers

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

Default Win 7, Alpha 4, Winagent, Amyuni pdf driver doesn't load, No Windows Printers

Old A4 Client installed new computer with Win 7 (32 bit), Alpha Four version 8.

When Alpha four is started, the Winagent says Amyuni pdf driver version 2.08 can't be installed, so Winagent errors out and there are no Windows Printers for Alpha four as a consequence.

It may be that the pdf driver is used to render all the windows printers, which means if it doesn't work, nothing will.

I tried loading a current Amyuni pdf converter demo version, but no results.

There are options on the Winagent command line in Alphastart1.bat, that might have a setting that makes it usable, but there is no documentation I can find.

Anybody else have a solution?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
    Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
    New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
    CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
    CSDA Screen Capture

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Default Re: Win 7, Alpha 4, Winagent, Amyuni pdf driver doesn't load, No Windows Printers

Means you cannot print anything anywhere? Have you tried configuring a printer to print from inside a4? It has been over 10 years since I visited the environment, but vaguely remember being able to print via dos using printer codes. Is this possible with what you have?
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

Default Re: Win 7, Alpha 4, Winagent, Amyuni pdf driver doesn't load, No Windows Printers

Printing works OK to a standard parallel or serial printer that way, but to USB or network printers, not really.

There are a number of print spooling programs out there that can accomplish the process of capturing lpt and sending it to a windows printer, but setup is not always straightforward.

It would obviously be ideal if Alpha updated winagent, or explained how to configure winagent to bypass the pdf issue (assuming that is possible).
    Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
    Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
    New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
    CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
    CSDA Screen Capture

Real Name
    Doug Page

I can't find my installation files for A4v8. I did install v6 in VMWare's Player and it worked perfectly. However, I realize v8 has all the files for dealing with USB printers so not sure if it will work. It's a free solution so maybe worth a try.

Real Name
    Jim Coyle

IRA,

I never found a solution and that was one of the main reasons I have upgraded to Alpha 5 v 10.5. I have heard that if you use win7 Ultimate and run an XP MODE or Virtual Machine XP under win 7 it will work. But I didn't think that was viable longterm so I opted to upgrade the applications I have running under A4v8.
    Truth between candid minds can never do harm. Thomas Jefferson
    The more I study nature, the more I stand amazed at the work of the Creator. Louis Pasteur

Real Name
    Jim Coyle

Ira,

I am not sure how to bring up a previous post but here is the text of it ...

Win7 wanted me to use their XP mode module to install this 32-bit program. I did that and it's working fine, license and all. You might have a reference to the license in the registry from your previous install. Try using Windows program uninstall module to remove the program so the registry is cleaned. Then remove any references to A4 in your folder lists. Then reinstall it. Best of luck!
    Sincerely,
    Jim
    Truth between candid minds can never do harm. Thomas Jefferson
    The more I study nature, the more I stand amazed at the work of the Creator. Louis Pasteur