Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Browse behavior changed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Browse behavior changed

I'm new to A5 and still learning. However, something is happening on one of my forms that I'm 99% sure wasn't happening last week and I don't know what changed....

My form is based on a Set -- one master and 4 one-to-many child tables. The form has each of the child tables in a separate browse control. On my existing form, and all new forms that I create based on this set I'm getting this new behavior: When adding new records to one of the child tables they insert fine. But when I delete records, the browse for that child table doesn't refresh to show the change. Plus, the cursor gets locked on the first record. I can navigate between fields in that record, but I can't move to other records. It's like it's locked somehow. If I go the the master table and move to a new record and then come back to the record I was just on, the deleted record is now gone from the child table and I can navigate between records in that child table. It refreshes somehow and works fine again until I delete another record from a child table.

I've even made a new set and new form and it's happening there too. I've reindexed the tables. Both v10 and v11 are doing the same thing. Like I said, I'm 99% sure it wasn't behaving this way last week when I was working on this app. But, I don't know what I might have changed to cause this new behavior.

Thanks!

-Farren

Re: Browse behavior changed

Try Refresh.
    Sounds like the records are being deleted - that's why you can't navigate.
    Post the Database here and someone will have a look, else please advise what links and referential integrity you have set.
    See our Hybrid Option here;
    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Can't post the databases -- at least not with the current data in them.... It's a simple master to four children, each a one-to-many. No referential integrity rules at all. I was working on field rules when I first noticed this behavior, but I've now deleted all of them with no change. As I said, I made a brand-new set with the same results. However, the new behavior is only on a couple of the child databases. The others are working as I'd call normal.

-Farren

Comment

Look at the attached example Farren.
        Works in both sets with different constructs for me.
        You will need Ref Integ turned on though.
        Attached Files

Comment

I understand what you've created in your example, and they both work exactly as I'd expect them to. But it doesn't capture what I'm dealing with. I'll try to create something that I can upload. (How about one of those quick screen recording things? Doesn't Camtasia have something that's free and easy for stuff like this?) Maybe in doing that I'll uncover what's going on! But, I'm pretty certain that I'm not dealing with cascading deletes. It's a refresh issue but doing a manual refresh doesn't work.

-Farren

Comment

well, I just created a new database from scratch, and it's working as it should and as my production database was a week ago. So, something is up with my production database. What sorts of things can get corrupted and can be deleted and re-created? I've already reindexed but I didn't delete any indexes first. Should I? How? I made a new set and a new form based on that and it didn't fix the problem so it's deeper than that.

-Farren

Comment

So, I just now noticed that it's not just deletes. It's inserts in the child tables as well. So, I'm in a browse that's on a form. Classic layout: Single parent record at the top, a browse at the bottom showing multiple child records from the child table. One-to-Many style. In the child table I go to the bottom and add a new record, hit down arrow and add another new record, and repeat as often as I want. But, the instant I hit the up arrow or any other navigation, the cursor jumps to the first record in the browse and is locked there. I can not leave that record by using the down arrow key or my using the mouse and clicking on other records. I can, however, move through the fields in that first record. F5 nor F3 fix it. If I click in the parent record at the top and then back to the child table, it's still locked. But, if I click on the parent record, hit "next record" and then "previous record" to come back to it, it's now "unlocked" and I can navigate in the child table browse just fine until I either insert or delete a record and that locks it again.

I had been playing with the modal/modeless/parent-modal settings around the time this happened, but I've put them all back to the way they were with no remedy.

-Farren

Comment

If you copy your existing set and tables with the support files to a new directory and create a new database; you can empty and pack the tables and then enter some dummy data to upload here. Then all the field rules and current forms can be tested. Be sure to include any lookup tables you have defined in the field rules for any of the tables. I suspect it is a filter you have defined somewhere in the field rules, indexes or the form. Also be sure to include any global variables you may be using.
                Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

The video and screen shot FREE application is from Techsmith. It's called JING. Excellent piece of software and well respected. There is a Pro version which you can purchase.
                  http://www.techsmith.com/jing/
                  As for the problems, as Robin says, there is some form of contention going on. Have you tried the ShowAll button on the Menu bar? It may be highlighted indicating a filter or range in operation.

Comment

Ted, Thanks for the jing link I like it better than what I have been using!!
                    Truth between candid minds can never do harm. Thomas Jefferson
                    The more I study nature, the more I stand amazed at the work of the Creator. Louis Pasteur

Comment

I'm attempting to attach a sample database showing the behavior. In this database, open Test_Set_3's default form and add/edit/delete any record from the child table and you'll see the problem as soon as you try to post the change.

Hope this helps!

-Farren
                      Last edited by Farren; 10-26-2011, 08:19 PM.

Comment

It's the [ExponentNumeric] bit it doesn't like. (Do you really need a fixed precision decimal number as a link?)
                        Make the Link a Char field - both same length, then it works.
                        You can treat a Char field as a numeric for linking purposes, or use a native Numeric.

Comment

AH!

I deleted an index that A4 had automatically created (at least I assume that's where it came from -- I hadn't created it.) and the bad behavior stopped. The index was named __A5_Recor and it's order expression was RECNO() and it was on the child table.

So, now my question is why had A5 created that index, will it do it again, and why was that index causing that behavior?

Thanks!

-Farren

Comment

Well, color me confused....

Thinking I had the solution, I went back to a backup of the database that I made when I first discovered the problem. That index mentioned above does not exist. Apparently it was created at some later point as I was ripping things apart trying to find the cause of the problem.

-Farren

Comment

Slowly and surely works best.
                              List the checks/tests and run them logically.

Comment

Working...
                              X