Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Can't open interactive window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't open interactive window

I either do not know what I am doing (which is very likely), or something isn't happening as it should be.
    I am trying to study the "Learning XBASIC" as is provided in AlphaWiki, and despite anything I do, the code editor will not open. When I press 'Interactive Window', the control panel just blinks, some 'toolbox' looking window opens over to the right, but the code editor never shows up. Only the control panel is viewable.

Is there some setting that I need to check in order to cause the code editor/interactive window to open?

I have used the code editor/interactive window before (long before), and I know what it looks like. But for now, it won't open.

Any clues?

Russ Rowton

Win 7, A5V10.5 in use.

Re: Can't open interactive window

It is probably opening off-screen. Are scroll bars appearing that will let you slide over to the Interactive Window? If so, you can then drag it back to the main area (and possibly resize it if needed). The position you leave it in when you close it will then be used again when you next open it.

Lenny Forziati
    Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
    Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

AHA!, I guess I have discovered my solution.... if I right-click on the code editor tab at the bottom of the window, I get a choice including 'restore', 'maximize', and a couple of other choices. If I press 'maximize', the code editor covers the entire screen, which is not what I desired, but at least I have a code editor. Is there any way to open it as a smaller window so I can view the other windows? Or is 'maximized' the only option?

russ rowton

Comment

If the control panel is miximized, it will open maximized, if not it will open relative to the controlpanel size. In either case it can be resized.
        There can be only one.

Comment

Just to be sure,
          From the Control Panel
          Top menu bar, selecting View|Code Editor Should open the code editor with the active tab being "interactive"
          If not then something IS wrong, lets start there first.\

I se Ive been pipped to the post again (x2)
          Last edited by Ray in Capetown; 10-20-2011, 05:15 PM. Reason: pipped

Comment

So far, I've discovered that the code window may be either minimized (which is where it was in the beginning and gave rise to my original post) or maximized. If maximized, then all windows (control panel, form and code editor) are maximized. There appears to be no middle ground to have the control panel maximized and the code editor on a "middle" setting (which is what I wanted.)

I can live with what I now know. Not knowing to 'right click' the code editor tab and selecting 'maximize' was where I was going into the 'black hole' of bewilderment.

Thanks to each of you for your responses.... russ rowton

Comment

Russ, something isn't right, there should be no problem with a restored window size. I still think either is it off-screen, or it is sized very small, effectively minimizing it. Use Regedit to delete the following two keys, which are the saved position and size for that window. The next time you open it, it should open restored to the default size.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Alpha Software\Alpha Five 11.0\xdialog.Interactive_Window.pos
              HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Alpha Software\Alpha Five 11.0\xdialog.Interactive_Window.size

Lenny Forziati
              Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
              Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Originally posted by Lenny Forziati View Post
                Russ, something isn't right, there should be no problem with a restored window size. I still think either is it off-screen, or it is sized very small, effectively minimizing it. Use Regedit to delete the following two keys, which are the saved position and size for that window. The next time you open it, it should open restored to the default size.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Alpha Software\Alpha Five 11.0\xdialog.Interactive_Window.pos
                HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Alpha Software\Alpha Five 11.0\xdialog.Interactive_Window.size

That's the hard way. Instead, go to the Menu bar, select Window, then Cascade which will bring all MDI windows (not dialog or XDialog's) back onto the screen.
                Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
                CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Originally posted by Lenny Forziati View Post
                  Use Regedit to delete the following two keys.....
                  You forgot the golden rule Lenny. Back up the Registry first.
                  See our Hybrid Option here;
                  https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                  You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Thanks, Ira, I did the cascade thing, and yes, it shows three different windows, the control panel, the form editor and the code editor, all in an intermediate size. When I maximize the control panel, it maximizes all three windows, period. The control panel and form editor are not visible, as I had hoped.

As I said earlier, I can live with this; it just isn't what I had wanted. And so far, I see no way to get the control panel maximized with the form editor and the code editor 'medium-ized' (covering only maybe one-half of the screen).

This is no life and death matter. It started out with me not knowing how to even find the code editor; only to stumble into by right-clicking the tab at the bottom of the screen. Not very intuitive, to say the least, but I now have a code editor.

Again, thanks for all of the responses. That is what makes this board so valuable. russ

Comment

Hi Russ,

Originally posted by databaser View Post
                      ...When I maximize the control panel, it maximizes all three windows, period. The control panel and form editor are not visible, as I had hoped.

As I said earlier, I can live with this; it just isn't what I had wanted. And so far, I see no way to get the control panel maximized with the form editor and the code editor 'medium-ized' (covering only maybe one-half of the screen).
                      The Windows definition of the operation of MDI (Multiple Document Interface), does not allow for a maximized window while the other windows are a restored (not maximized) window. Thus your issue is really with Windows, not Alpha Five (Not that some programs don't go around Windows to implement what you'd like). Also dialogs and XDialog boxes that are not MDI will pop-up over a maximized window.

The look you want can be approximated by sizing the "Maximize-like" windows to the screen, unfortunately, the control panel can not really be sized, because that window is a legacy window(old design), and has no XBasic control returning it's position, and nothing that can set it's size and position. Other windows you can do this with.

My CSDA Screen Capture for Alpha Five program has wrestled with this Control Panel issue with no resolution.
                      Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                      Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                      New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
                      CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                      CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Thanks, Ira, for your time and your response. Yes, I have now learned what you outlined in the response above.

All in all, this is not a big issue (now that I discovered how to find the code editor in the first place.) I agree that it is a Windows constraint, and has nothing to do with Alpha's design.

Thanks to all, russ

Comment

Working...
                        X