What is this about?

Can I safely turn it off?

Where do I turn it off?
    Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Former Alpha Employee JerryBrightbill's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

Default Re: "fixing publishing history"

The only time you should see a dialog about "fixing publishing history" is a condition where the history has a problem such as the same page or component being listed twice in the history. This should be extremely rare, but has been found in some histories built in V10 and early V11 builds and has lead to objects being included in the publish process when they should not be included. The cleanup should not be terminated, but allowed to run to completion. It should not recur after it has run once.

Volunteer Moderator drgarytraub's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dr. Gary Traub

I get that message EVERY time I publish anything even a single component or page. And it takes quite a long time to complete. Very annoying!
    Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Frank Bicknell

May I make a suggestion. I have noticed that you seem to experience unusual issues. Not the issues like most others and I have like not fully understanding the operation of the Alpha software. Maybe you have a hardware problem like a memory timing issue, bad memory, hard drive with some bad clusters, or a network timing issue. I think I would run some hardware diagnostics to make sure that hardware is not a problem.
    Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Real Name
    Dr. Gary Traub

Hi Frank,

Suggestions are always welcomed:) And your post got me hopeful - I installed v11 on a completely different machine, but still running windows 7 - same problems ....

This is just really annoying because I cannot get any work done.
    Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Real Name
    Sparticuz

I'm also getting it every single time I publish. It only take a few seconds for me though. Also, since you said listed twice in publish history. EVERY single time I publish, even if I havn't made any changes (literally publish, then click publish again) These files always get published.
    Code:
    security:{C:\Users\KyleMcNally\Documents\janiking-app-v11\jkapp.WebProjects\Default.WebProject\Project.SecuritySettings}
    copyfile:{C:\Users\KyleMcNally\Documents\janiking-app-v11\jkapp.WebProjects\Default.WebProject\Pages.SecuritySettings}
    copyfile:{C:\Users\KyleMcNally\Documents\janiking-app-v11\jkapp.WebProjects\Default.WebProject\images\emails\cmm.png}
    copyfile:{C:\Users\KyleMcNally\Documents\janiking-app-v11\jkapp.WebProjects\Default.WebProject\images\emails\cutcosts.png}
    copyfile:{C:\Users\KyleMcNally\Documents\janiking-app-v11\jkapp.WebProjects\Default.WebProject\images\emails\pgatour.png}
    copyfile:{C:\Users\KyleMcNally\Documents\janiking-app-v11\jkapp.WebProjects\Default.WebProject\images\emails\trustyourkeys.booklet.png}
    copyfile:{C:\Users\KyleMcNally\Documents\janiking-app-v11\jkapp.WebProjects\Default.WebProject\images\emails\trustyourkeys.folder.png}
    copyfile:{C:\Users\KyleMcNally\Documents\janiking-app-v11\jkapp.WebProjects\Default.WebProject\javascript\js.js}
    copyfile:{C:\Users\KyleMcNally\Documents\janiking-app-v11\jkapp.WebProjects\Default.WebProject\jkapp.aex}
    copyfile:{C:\Users\KyleMcNally\Documents\janiking-app-v11\jkapp.WebProjects\Default.WebProject\ProjectProperties.projectProperties}
    copyfile:{C:\Users\KyleMcNally\Documents\janiking-app-v11\jkapp.WebProjects\Default.WebProject\QuickPublish.settings}
    copyfile:{C:\Users\KyleMcNally\Documents\janiking-app-v11\jkapp.WebProjects\Default.WebProject\robots.txt}
    copyfile:{C:\Users\KyleMcNally\Documents\janiking-app-v11\jkapp.WebProjects\Default.WebProject\statuscodes\401.html}
    copyfile:{C:\Users\KyleMcNally\Documents\janiking-app-v11\jkapp.WebProjects\Default.WebProject\statuscodes\404.html}
    css:<ProjectStyle>
    CSS:Airport
    css:Day
    CSS:jkapp
    copyfile:{C:\Users\KyleMcNally\Documents\janiking-app-v11\jkapp.alb}
    copyfile:{C:\Users\KyleMcNally\Documents\janiking-app-v11\jkapp.alm}
    copyfile:{C:\Users\KyleMcNally\Documents\janiking-app-v11\jkapp.alx}
    css:A5System

Real Name
    Sparticuz

OK, so I cleared my publishing history, republished everything, and now it's not showing up. Try that, also after doing that it is only publishing
    Code:
    copyfile:{C:\Users\KyleMcNally\Documents\janiking-app-v11\jkapp.WebProjects\Default.WebProject\jkapp.aex}
    copyfile:{C:\Users\KyleMcNally\Documents\janiking-app-v11\jkapp.WebProjects\Default.WebProject\ProjectProperties.projectProperties}
    css:<ProjectStyle>
    copyfile:{C:\Users\KyleMcNally\Documents\janiking-app-v11\jkapp.alb}
    copyfile:{C:\Users\KyleMcNally\Documents\janiking-app-v11\jkapp.alm}
    copyfile:{C:\Users\KyleMcNally\Documents\janiking-app-v11\jkapp.alx}
    every single time, and that's probably because I have publish support files and compile aex functions selected.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Frank Bicknell

That is strange. It seems like the only difference between your machine and my machine is hardware. I have the publish support files selected as well. When I publish it only publishes the changed file(s).
    Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Real Name
    Dr. Gary Traub

I am still having this problem. So frustrating ....
    Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

The way it publishes is completely erratic. Sometimes it publishes everything, sometimes not. It always publishes certain css and stuff even though nothing changed. It also depends where you are publishing from - the web CP, the component, right click, etc etc... Yes, very annoying indeed.

Real Name
    Steve Wood

My vote would be, and has been, to have an option to completely remove history or publish only new-changed files, AND to only publish the files I select, no others. That would be an at-your-own-risk option. I 100% of the time click to clear history because I want to publish what I want to publish.
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

I second that.

I 100% of the time click to clear history because I want to publish what I want to publish.
    Doesn't that mean that EVERYTHING publishes?

Real Name
    Steve Wood

No, I mean I clear history even when I specifically select one or n individual items. I'm never going to rely on History to decide what needs to be published. I jump around between Local, Remote and Preview -- I don't know if it maintains different sets of history for each of those. But as you say, it is inconsistent so I take it out of the equation and wish it could be skipped. Also, on a large application it takes quite a bit of time to determine what needs to be published based on History.
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

Real Name
    Dr. Gary Traub

By the way, when I cleared publish history, it resolved the issue, for me, at least as far as I can tell.
    Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    eric

Quote Originally Posted by drgarytraub View Post
    By the way, when I cleared publish history, it resolved the issue, for me, at least as far as I can tell.
    I don't use the Publish to <others> besides the local webroot.
    I have teamviewer on the remote host and use the file transfer for local <webroot> to remote <webroot>.
    Teamviewer 7 is SMART SFTP it will only replace those files in the remote webroot that have changed.
    There serveral apps in that way I manage that way on serveral servers [US/EU].

Eric

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Quote Originally Posted by drgarytraub View Post
    I second that - I think. More testing will be needed to confirm. Certainly seems like a very positive development.

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Just for the record, Alpha doesn't remember publishing history between A5 sessions. It still wants to publish EVERYTHING even though I haven't cleared my history. AND, depending upon the publishing route you take, you get different results. Basically rather erratic in my experience.