Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Can't start new file?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can't start new file?!?!

Originally posted by Bill Griffin View Post
    http://www.startrek.com/watch_episod...XmEyu5QTVFFewW about 36 minutes in - Bonk Bonk on the head....Bonk Bonk Bonk Bonk.... Back to work...
    You hit, er bonked, the nail on the head!
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

OK - reinstalled by using the exe file right from my downloads directory on my C drive. Checked that my Windows 7 is up to snuff with updates - is and was. I used the default install directory (which I had also before, btw) - still no dice.

Then the phone rang about 400 times etc - so I can't get back to that for awhile. But - I'll be back!

Dr. Taub - can you tell me exactly what process you used? I couldn't install in compatibility mode without having it check compatibility. Did you have to do that?

Peter C (or anybody who knows) - I'm wondering if there's something in the original install that doesn't get deleted with a standard uninstall, that I should go remove manually?
      Wendy Welton
      Architect
      past & future Alphaholic - deliberately falling off the wagon!

http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Comment

UAC off when installing? (This was an issue with Vista, but I have always had it turned off, so I'm not sure if it still is)
        Bill Griffin
        Parkell, Inc

Comment

Wendy. I am on windows 7 enterprise 32bit. Have installed and uninstalled v11 beta and release version multiple times with no issues other than the frickin FTP mouse over issue.

Cheers.

Michael Carroll

Comment

Wendy have you thought about running your dev environment in a virtual environment such as VMware? It would give you a way to test and version installation environments.

Michael Carroll

Comment

Michael,

My application is now 100% web, so I really only need to get the developer installed - don't need to test install environments.

Bill,

I have not had to turn UAC off for anything ever, so I almost certainly have it on. I'll give that a try. Thanks.

btw - I posted uninstall as a separate thread - seems like that's it's own question....
              Last edited by WendyWelton; 10-21-2011, 01:54 PM.
              Wendy Welton
              Architect

Comment

Potentially another clue - in A5 version 10, it now gives a script error when I use Quick Publish to view on my localhost. Is that something others have seen? (meaning I should just do a new publish....) Or do any of you folks with more experience see anything in that related to my 11 install issue? It sure does seem to be a clear before and after effect. I didn't have that issue. I tried to install 11. Then I have that issue.
                Wendy Welton
                Architect

Comment

OK -

1 - UAC off
                  2 - Through Control Panel there's an option for "custom" uninstall, where it shows you various options. I uninstalled absolutely everything.
                  3 - Rebooted
                  4 - Redownloaded, just in case install file has some wee little corruption
                  5 - Reinstalled

Still no dice.

So - now I'm looking at exactly what the problem is. I can't type in a file name to create a new dbf. I can't select an existing dbf to open it. I can let it do one of the sample databases in the startup screen. Once it copies that directory to the place it wants to in My Documents, and that database name is on the recent list, I can open that!

Hmmmm - so that has me wondering about some conflict with another program that's running in the background, with a device driver...

Oops - Nope. I just opened Sunrise Properties - it opens, but the minute I try to do anything, I get "Alpha Five has stopped working".

Sigh.

Anyway - my next question - I need to eliminate any conflicts with running programs. Task Manager no longer shows Processes as well as Tasks automatically. (Bill G, in his infinite wisdom, apparently thinks the average user isn't to be trusted with that information!). Anyway - I remember running into this before and that there is a way to show the Processes, but I can't remember how.

So to my latest question - Anybody know how to have Task Manager display the Processes?

I will slay this dragon!
                  Wendy Welton
                  Architect

Comment

Originally posted by WendyWelton View Post
                    Michael,

My application is now 100% web, so I really only need to get the developer installed - don't need to test install environments.
                    Wendy,

Not for the user, but for the developer. It has been so nice to step back to a developer patch or operating system patch to troubleshoot issues like this. I have been known to jack my system up plenty of times and to do a quick roll back - independent of my application data - has been tremendous.

Michael Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by WendyWelton View Post
                      OK -

So to my latest question - Anybody know how to have Task Manager display the Processes?

I will slay this dragon!
                      Right click on task bar, select open task manager -- click on the processes tab.

Michael Carroll

Comment

Hello Wendy,

Did you try--> right click on install file and choose 'Run as administrator' ?

Without those explicit administrator rights some settings might not get applied.

Anne Olivier

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelCarroll View Post
                          Right click on task bar, select open task manager -- click on the processes tab.

Michael Carroll
                          I remembered the magic handshake. If the Processed tab doesn't show, you double click somewhere in the top bar and it will appear. Jeesh.
                          Wendy Welton
                          Architect

Comment

Well, I am completely 100% stumped. I turned of UAC. I turned off my virus protection. I re-downloaded the executable. I stopped any process not essential to windows. I reinstalled in compatibility mode - same result.

I give up. I'm just going to work in version 10 until somebody else trips on this same problem and somebody figures it out. I know folks beta tested on windows 7 64 bit machines, but I'm having a hard time believing that I'll be the last one to run into this. I may be the first, but I doubt I'll be the last.

I'll try installing on another machine so I can play with 11, but otherwise.... having to fire up a different machine to use it will definitely dampen my enthusiasm.

Thanks everyone for trying, but I think I've run out of options.
                            Wendy Welton
                            Architect

Comment

Last update - I installed successfully on my laptop, so it's not a Klingon force field around my house. I went out for dinner, took a chill pill....

I tried stripping my computer down to the bare essentials - corded mouse, unplugged web cam and network, as complete an uninstall as I can do, reboot, UAC off, virus software suspended, any and all nonessential processes stopped, redownloaded, reinstalled - same result. So, I'm out of things to try. I called customer service and Andrew said it sounds like a bug, so I sent it in. Even if it's rare, I'm sure they don't want someone downloading the trial and running into this. At any rate, I'm out of ways to troubleshoot myself, so I have to leave it at that.

Interestingly enough, I can run files by selecting the dbf file, right click, Open With and selecting the A5 v11 executable. I can also run any file listed in the recent files list.

I'm curious - of the sample files I've run, some crash the program, some don't. Are people able to run Sunrise Properties and other sample files? I think it might help if I determine what other symptoms might be related and which are not.

And - if anyone is curious - here's what it's doing: http://www.screencast.com/t/x4McwTCFxeIb
                              Wendy Welton
                              Architect

Comment

Wendy,

I have tried the samples and they all worked OK for me. I can't think of what is causing these strange problems with certain machines. I will have to sleep on it. Maybe it will come to me in a dream.
                                Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

Working...
                                X